Some Good News Just For A Change, a SAD (iE) saga with a happy ending
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 10 2010, 03:39 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Some of you know that I work as an independent mastering/post production audio engineer and my wife is an independent radio producer. Apart from CDA red book we also do a lot of broadcast audio - radio plays/documentaries and so on, which often need a lot of editing - often 800+ edits in a 1 hour program. So we use SADiE because it has a very good X-Fade editor and EDL control.

For a long time we've used SADiE and its LRX audio interface for location work and the above. Anyway last year Prism/SADiE finally decided that v6 would go Native. For us this could be great since it would mean we were no longer tied to the LRX interface on a laptop but could use our main desktop pc with Lavry etc. and we wouldn't need the LRC - which is often out on location - to run SADiE. (At the mo we have to drop the SADiE file into a BWL and import the audio wave on to the main.)

Then came a long wait as to how much Prism would charge to upgrade from V5 to V6. Late November and they email me to say 500UKS for an upgrade. That's ok but they then also said that a Native i.e not requiring the LRX to authorise - might need a completely new full license to get the dongle and not cheap. Ouch.

So we started a process of looking at alternatives:

Wavelab 6- don't like the workflow, audio engine is poor, can't do DDP as standard, i/o is so-so, X-fades weak, Redbook ok. 600UKS
Sequoia - nice workflow and audio engine, does DDP, i/o ok, X-fades so-so, Red book ok. 2200UKS
Samplitude - as Seq except no DDP and X-fades not as good. 1000UKS
Pyramix 6 mastering - As Seq but X-Fades very good, as good as SADiE, with separate windowed X-Fade editor, does red and scarlet/SACD. 2500UKS.

So we decided to really test out Seq and Pyramix assuming SADiE native would be too expensive. After a lot of testing Pyramix won out because of the X-Fade editor. Pyra tested fine on our back up pc (we do all our initial trials on a back up. old pc and not the laptop or main desktop just in case. Software only gets transferred to those if it doesn't crash the backup). Looks good so we transfer to the main for a final check before ordering. Pyramix refuses to load - it's dependent on a C++ x86 runtime engine ohmy.gif and our main is 64 bit. Looks like it's going to have to be Seq which is OK but not ideal.

That was last Sunday and my wife then went to the UK and whilst there she spoke to the guys from Prism and they offered us a massive discount on the Native version. Not sure how much yet but significantly less than a standard license biggrin.gif .

Oh and the sun has come out here after what seems like continual rain since November biggrin.gif .

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Apr 11 2010, 10:58 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 10 2010, 06:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thats wonderful news for You, Tony. Especially the sun... biggrin.gif Nah, I think 5000 is a steal for an upgrade, even that we are talking bout Sadie here, and I'm glad that You can continue work with that engine! Congrats!!!

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 10 2010, 09:06 PM
GMC:er
Congrats man!! It will be a real advantage for your work

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 10 2010, 09:14 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Great news! smile.gif

Not that I understood half of it but if it's good for you tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 11 2010, 10:57 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 10 2010, 04:13 PM) *
I have no idea what sade is etc.. but congratz lol

SADiE is one of the very few daws that is specifically designed for post-production broadcast and mastering Victor. The majority of daws are designed for tracking and/or mixing and whilst you can do some post production/mastering on them the workflow and functionality isn't great and often the audio engine, SRC, dithering and rendering aren't of sufficient quality and many do not burn CDA to full Red and Scarlet Book standards.

A Native version of SADiE (and Pyramix) means that the software will run on any Windows pc. Up to now SADiE 5 software (and earlier) can be installed on any poc but will not work unless that pc is connected to SADiE hardware like an LRX. The cheapest SADiE 5 system that I can think of costs about 8000UKS.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:28 PM