2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Versatile Amp Wanted
MickeM
Mar 13 2009, 08:51 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 13 2009, 01:43 AM) *
Why is the Marshall not so good built quality? They are handmade in the UK!

I think you answered your own question wink.gif

Just kidding, what you said made me think of old british motorcycles and cars. They come with a certain reputration you know laugh.gif

and regarding the Orange Rockerverb imo it's a tone machine. Whenever I trade my Switchblade away that Orange is on the list of prospects.
And for 80's metal it's the amp for me, swell reverb. JVM would be my second choise, or the best one if you're looking for a full range of Marshall sounds. That's never wrong smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 14 2009, 11:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 13 2009, 01:43 AM) *
Why is the Marshall not so good built quality? They are handmade in the UK!
The Jcm 2000 dsl/tsl series had flaws but the quality is top notch these days and was even better before the 1990s (aside from Marshall footswitches; they have always been bad!!!)

The build quality is poorer today, and Marshall cuts corners on every component: cheap plastic Chinese-made pots&knobs (most of electric components in Marshall are manufactured in China these days), not so good tranny quality, poor carrying handle, factory biasing often way off the specs, and bad fooswitches as you mentioned yourself, are some of the things I don't like in these amps that are my very favorite btw, and I'm really feeling bad cause they are doing this to greatest amp of all time. In addition I'm giving you the images of JVM and Vintage Marshall from inside to compare quality:

QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Mar 13 2009, 03:25 AM) *
Have you ever played one? Super flexible i think.

I'm sure it's awesome, didn't mean to say anything bad about it, I was comparing it to the rest of the list of amps. It has 2 channels and limited EQ on the clean channel. But hey, if the sound is good and if these things doesn't make much difference I definitely recommend it as well! I love like Orange sound, and like vintage style amps with only one great channel so this would definitely be on top 10 of my list if I considered buying.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 14 2009, 11:55 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 14 2009, 11:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
That's the funny thing about Orange amps, they seem limited with just a few knobs but even a little twist on those knobs changes the complete overall sound!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 14 2009, 11:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 14 2009, 11:50 PM) *
That's the funny thing about Orange amps, they seem limited with just a few knobs but even a little twist on those knobs changes the complete overall sound!

I agree, throw in a boost pedal and there's the third channel, or just roll of volume. Gear is versatile as much as the player is.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 14 2009, 11:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 15 2009, 10:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Sargal!

I've been searching for a new amp myself mate, pretty much around the same parameters you have been looking for and am very close to ordering aMesa Lonestar 2x12 combo, the key benefits for me are:

Switchable power between 10/50/100 watts, great for home use and big enough for just about any venue

Two channels, channel one is clean vintage, two can be clone or high gain setting, it also has a footswitchable "solo" option so in effect gives you three channels apparently!

Switchable three way voicing thick, normal, thicker

All tube FX loop

switchable Spring reverb

These are the key features for me but it has lots of other cool stuff as well, retails in the uk around 2000 sterling so not cheap but very versatile methinks!

Would like Ivans comments on this too if hes out there still!!

Attached Image

Some links:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/Lonestar.htm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/GW-LStar...estar-NOV04.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 15 2009, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Haven't played it mate, but it looks and sounds like a superb tone machine. HQ all the way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Mar 16 2009, 03:16 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 14 2009, 06:45 PM) *
I'm sure it's awesome, didn't mean to say anything bad about it, I was comparing it to the rest of the list of amps. It has 2 channels and limited EQ on the clean channel. But hey, if the sound is good and if these things doesn't make much difference I definitely recommend it as well! I love like Orange sound, and like vintage style amps with only one great channel so this would definitely be on top 10 of my list if I considered buying.

Yeah orange's are insane when it comes to versatility. And my favorite thing is that no matter where you set ANY of the knobs, you'll find a usable tone which is pretty crazy! Love mine.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
sargal
Apr 7 2009, 04:10 PM
Update

As the fair was last weekend already, I was able to get some more insight in the subject. Unfortunately, not all amps in my list were presented, some were not even displayed (e.g. the Marshall 205).

To make a long story a bit shorter: You guys were great!
All amps that I was able to hear and had a recommendation from you were really good. smile.gif

These amps I "met":
  • Engl E-610 Savage (heard)
  • Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100 (heard)
  • Hughes & Kettner Triamp (heard)
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 (played)
  • Orange Thunderverb 50 (played)

The conditions under which I got to perceive the amps were very different for the different amps, so there cannot be a perfectly fair comparison. Adding to that is the personal experience with the staff (availability, friendliness, knowledge, etc.) of different manufacturers which makes the whole thing even more biased.

So I'll give this a bit more thought, but for now, the top 3 candidates are:
  1. Hughes & Kettner Triamp (bazillions of features, channels, and the cool glow)
  2. Orange Thunderverb 50 (easiest-to-use front plate)
  3. Engl E-610 Savage (still easy-to-use, made in Germany)

I left out anything related to sound on purpose, since all 3 blew me away with their sound.

I guess the final decision will be made by gut feeling. If you know a better way to decide, let me know. Can also roll dice or flip coins, but I don't think this will be satisfying in the long run.

+Quote Post
sargal
Jun 10 2009, 09:27 AM
Just to follow up on this and share the end with you: It's done!

Yesterday, a huge and heavy box arrived on a pallet. The contents:
Hughes & Kettner Triamp + matching 412 Cabinet

Unpacked, set up, plugged in. Even at the reduced 50W setting, this blows the neighbors away. Can't use anything but an 8 o'clock setting on master volume.

The sound is so great, I'm loving it. Will have to spend many hours with amp settings and pickup combinations to test what seems to be unlimited options. Thank you all for your advice and help, it made me get an amp I haven't heard of before but which I really really like. Regarding the cabinet, I am fully aware that a 212 would have been the more reasonable choice, but I just followed the "trust me, you WANT that 412" advice I got from a few experienced players in my area.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 10 2009, 09:40 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Sargal,

if you can get an attenuator. That will allow you to run the amp flat out but at a reduced volume. The THD Hotplate is one example, there are several others. One thing though, you need to make sure that the attenuator is the right load for the amp ie 16/8/4 ohm.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 10 2009, 09:46 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Congrats on your new amp smile.gif
I got a new one myself yesterday, good times biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sargal
Jun 10 2009, 12:08 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 10 2009, 10:40 AM) *
Sargal,

if you can get an attenuator. That will allow you to run the amp flat out but at a reduced volume. The THD Hotplate is one example, there are several others. One thing though, you need to make sure that the attenuator is the right load for the amp ie 16/8/4 ohm.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I think this is built-in already. On the head's back, there is a switch 100W/50W which (again) I think does the same as an attenuator. Of course, you only have two settings. Maybe I wrote it in a misleading way: I already like the tone I get at minimum master volume level. Turning that master volume knob just a tiny amount to the right while having the section volume + gain set high will most certainly result in uniformed people visiting me. rolleyes.gif I don't need that volume at home, I just enjoy a rich tone at what people might call "bedroom level".

Maybe a small piece of advice here, which is what I learned from shopping for an amp: It's like shopping for a TV, in the store they always look smaller than in your living room. So when you test an amp in a store (or, to make it worse, at a trade fair where I tested them), it doesn't "feel" as loud as when you play at the same settings at home. At least that is how it appeared to me. I'm just glad that even this overpowered monster of an amp is usable in my living room.

One thing you mentioned though are the 16/8/4 ohm. Seeing that both the cab and the head support various impedances, is there a difference? Let's say in mono I can use a 16 ohm output connected to the 16 ohm input versus 4 ohm output connected to 4 ohm input.

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 10 2009, 12:52 PM
A good attenuator will allow you to dial the output power much more precisly than the built in one, you can dial it right down to nill if you want. I did look into getting one myself a while back as I wanted to run the output of the amp into a desk to use it as a valve preamp, as you can get some which come with headphone/line-out jacks if I remember correctly.

50W through a 4x12 is still going to be far too loud for not annoying the neighbours hehe.

-Adam

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 10 2009, 06:15 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Excellent!!! biggrin.gif

Good thing about these modern amps is that they sound GREAT already at low volume. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sargal
Jun 10 2009, 10:39 PM
QUOTE (AdamB @ Jun 10 2009, 01:52 PM) *
50W through a 4x12 is still going to be far too loud for not annoying the neighbours hehe.

Luckily they can't cancel my lease since I did that already. Joyful last days in this home await! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:08 PM