3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Audio Recording Help, Audio Recording to PC
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2013, 06:24 PM
GMC:er
Well thanks!! smile.gif It's always good to be appreciated. I've gotta say, I've learned at least as much as I've taught since I've been here, from Students, Instructors, our killer wiki, etc. I know I keep saying it but I really do love it here smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 25 2013, 11:35 AM) *
... and Todd's extensive in home recording knowledge is a wonderful thing! smile.gif

I gotta also say, I think motivated students like you are are a SOOOOOPAAA wonderful thing smile.gif

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 25 2013, 12:03 PM) *
Agreed to both biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 25 2013, 06:42 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 25 2013, 05:24 PM) *
I gotta also say, I think motivated students like you are are a SOOOOOPAAA wonderful thing smile.gif

I got lots of motivation from everyone since I got here biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 26 2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Well, indeed, Todd is the man to ask about digital devices and recording stuff biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 28 2013, 04:25 PM
Umm...Hope someone can tell me where I've gone wrong. I have the trial version of Reaper installed and also amplitude 3 free version. They both sit on my desktop and work independently of each other. When I watched the above video, I realised I should be able to open amplitude up from the vsti box as shown...amplitude isn't there, neither are the poulin VSTs there. The poulins I put the dlls files in the plugins folder in Reaper on the C drive. Must have done something wrong! Please help...Thanks!!

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jan 28 2013, 06:00 PM

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 28 2013, 04:32 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 28 2013, 03:25 PM) *
Umm...Hope someone can tell me where I've gone wrong. I have the trial version of Reaper installed and also amplitude 3 free version. They both sit on my desktop and work independently of each other. When I watched the above video, I realised I should be able to open amplitude up from the vsti box as shown...amplitude isn't there, neither are the poulin VSTs there. The poulins I put the dlls files in the plugins folde in Reaperr on the C drive. Must have done something wrong! Please help...Thanks!!

In Reaper, click Options -> Preferences, then in the window that pops up, in the left-side menu, click VSTs. Then click Add, and browse to the folder where your Plugins are. Then click Re-Scan.

All the plugins should appear in the VSTs section now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 28 2013, 04:38 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 10:32 AM) *
In Reaper, click Options -> Preferences, then in the window that pops up, in the left-side menu, click VSTs. Then click Add, and browse to the folder where your Plugins are. Then click Re-Scan.

Bah! You beat me to it but I'll add this here! laugh.gif

This is what the window looks like.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 28 2013, 05:05 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 04:32 PM) *

Thanks Sammetal I'll try that...isn't amplitube a program rather than a plugin?

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jan 28 2013, 04:38 PM) *
Bah! You beat me to it but I'll add this here! laugh.gif

This is what the window looks like.

Thanks Spasemoonkey..You can probably see what I asked Sammetal.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 28 2013, 05:27 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 28 2013, 04:05 PM) *
Thanks Sammetal I'll try that...isn't amplitube a program rather than a plugin?

Thanks Spasemoonkey..You can probably see what I asked Sammetal.

Hahaha Spasemoonkey tongue.gif

And Headbanger, yes and no, it can be used as a standalone program and also a VST in reaper or any other DAW smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 28 2013, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 05:27 PM) *
Hahaha Spasemoonkey tongue.gif

And Headbanger, yes and no, it can be used as a standalone program and also a VST in reaper or any other DAW smile.gif

OK Now I'm getting somewhere...The eagle has landed......Well Amplitube seems to have landed in Reaper... and works...Now I'm just going to play for a while until that all sinks in before I move onto the next step!!! Thanks Guys for your help!!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 28 2013, 06:38 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 28 2013, 05:35 PM) *
OK Now I'm getting somewhere...The eagle has landed......Well Amplitube seems to have landed in Reaper... and works...Now I'm just going to play for a while until that all sinks in before I move onto the next step!!! Thanks Guys for your help!!!! smile.gif

Anytime smile.gif and do ask whenever you need help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 28 2013, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 06:38 PM) *
Anytime smile.gif and do ask whenever you need help!

Thanks Sammetal smile.gif I think I need to get a DI or interface for the guitar to cut out background noise though...considering I've spent nothing yet apart from the potential $60 for Reaper licence in the future (unless someone tells me there something better cheaper) Thats pretty good!!

Edit: I am getting a lot of feedback on the Lead channels for some reason on amplitube..through my headphones?

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jan 28 2013, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 28 2013, 06:51 PM
Interference may be the factor for ya sir. Just move away from the computer, speakers, and electronics in general. Also turn the gain down just a hair if it full blown on. I know when I record I have to turn my chair away from my pc to take out static/feedback.

If you are just looking for guitars maybe something like this: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

And an example from one of our other members Brandon! (TheFireball)

This post has been edited by SpaseMoonkey: Jan 28 2013, 06:51 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 28 2013, 06:53 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 28 2013, 05:43 PM) *
Thanks Sammetal smile.gif I think I need to get a DI or interface for the guitar to cut out background noise though...considering I've spent nothing yet apart from the potential $60 for Reaper licence in the future (unless someone tells me there something better cheaper) Thats pretty good!!

Edit: I am getting a lot of feedback on the Lead channels for some reason on amplitube..through my headphones?

I didn't find anything better than Reaper for me at least, my friend got Cubase with an audio interface and he turned to Reaper after using cubase for awhile and he's been using it for the past 2 years smile.gif

Try turning the output levels down, or maybe the gain down. Use a Tubescreamer VST to boost the guitar's signal (turn the overdrive to 0, level to max and tone around 2 o clock).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 28 2013, 07:07 PM
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jan 28 2013, 06:51 PM) *
Interference may be the factor for ya sir. Just move away from the computer, speakers, and electronics in general. Also turn the gain down just a hair if it full blown on. I know when I record I have to turn my chair away from my pc to take out static/feedback.

If you are just looking for guitars maybe something like this: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

And an example from one of our other members Brandon! (TheFireball)

Thanks Spasemoonkey...I'll try and move about a bit!
That guy on the video was quite amusing biggrin.gif ! I like the sounds on that...Its a similar price to the Presonus interface..Now I'll have to research between the both as I had it in mind to get one of them.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 06:53 PM) *
I didn't find anything better than Reaper for me at least, my friend got Cubase with an audio interface and he turned to Reaper after using cubase for awhile and he's been using it for the past 2 years smile.gif

Try turning the output levels down, or maybe the gain down. Use a Tubescreamer VST to boost the guitar's signal (turn the overdrive to 0, level to max and tone around 2 o clock).

Cheers Sammetal..I'll try that as well!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 28 2013, 07:11 PM
You'd like to read this article! smile.gif

http://www.connorgilks.com/apps/blog/show/...ir-s-pc-or-mac-

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 28 2013, 07:16 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 07:11 PM) *

I just read it it was interesting... thanks mate!!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jan 28 2013, 07:30 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 28 2013, 06:16 PM) *
I just read it it was interesting... thanks mate!!

Yes its very helpful, it proved extremely useful for me so I bookmarked it for future reference smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 29 2013, 01:29 AM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 28 2013, 01:07 PM) *
Thanks Spasemoonkey...I'll try and move about a bit!
That guy on the video was quite amusing biggrin.gif ! I like the sounds on that...Its a similar price to the Presonus interface..Now I'll have to research between the both as I had it in mind to get one of them.

I'm not sure I would recommend a Presonus interface for DI recording. If things haven't improved since mine, Presonus Audio Box USB 1.1, then you will just clip with the DI of a guitar to interface. I also had my instrument/mic knobs turned down to -10db. If you had an amp and you were to mic I'd suggest it, which I had great results. I also have a great results running say a multi-effect pedal that has XLR outs or even an amp with XLR outs to it. Just that the DI route was horrible for me. But that could be due to needing a line level. But mine is the cheapest on the market and about 2 years old now as well, things may have changed in that time.

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 29 2013, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 07:30 PM) *
Yes its very helpful, it proved extremely useful for me so I bookmarked it for future reference smile.gif

Ive bookedmarked it too..Cheers! smile.gif

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jan 29 2013, 01:29 AM) *
I'm not sure I would recommend a Presonus interface for DI recording. If things haven't improved since mine, Presonus Audio Box USB 1.1, then you will just clip with the DI of a guitar to interface. I also had my instrument/mic knobs turned down to -10db. If you had an amp and you were to mic I'd suggest it, which I had great results. I also have a great results running say a multi-effect pedal that has XLR outs or even an amp with XLR outs to it. Just that the DI route was horrible for me. But that could be due to needing a line level. But mine is the cheapest on the market and about 2 years old now as well, things may have changed in that time.

Thanks SpaseM
Ok...A lot to think about..my Presonus thoughts were from a reccomendation from someone here using something called a Presonus 2x 2 USB and I don't know if that would have been the same as yours...Is The guy using the pod studio line6 using the line 6 software that came with it and combining that with Reaper and Amplitube?...I must admit that I like his sounds and sounds that I've heard others using line 6 equipment have produced...I expect there is a separate discussion for that on Gear.
Cheers Rod

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jan 29 2013, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 30 2013, 07:00 AM
Bingo! Nice article from our Mr. Connorgilks there. Pretty much details the entire process.

Todd

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jan 28 2013, 01:11 PM) *

YES! smile.gif You can use even the cheapest line six box (The Tone Port) and it will suffice as an audio interface for your guitar. You just need to get clean signal in to the computer. The tone port will do that just fine. Any of the line 6 interfaces will take care of you. Later on when you start wanting to use microphones and such it will be time to upgrade, but it's always time to upgrade at some point. smile.gif

So you launch reaper and then launch amplitude INSIDE REAPER, most folks who are new to recording, try to launch amplitude and THEN launch reaper. It doesn't work that way sadly sad.gif You gotta launch your plugins inside the daw.

Todd

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 29 2013, 04:26 AM) *
Ive bookedmarked it too..Cheers! smile.gif

Thanks SpaseM
Ok...A lot to think about..my Presonus thoughts were from a reccomendation from someone here using something called a Presonus 2x 2 USB and I don't know if that would have been the same as yours...Is The guy using the pod studio line6 using the line 6 software that came with it and combining that with Reaper and Amplitube?...I must admit that I like his sounds and sounds that I've heard others using line 6 equipment have produced...I expect there is a separate discussion for that on Gear.
Cheers Rod

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:26 AM