Windows Movie Maker For Recording
mattacuk
Jan 19 2008, 07:38 PM
Lets go fishing!
Evening all smile.gif

So in chat the other night I was dicussing how i could record some videos of my playing useing my pandora and a camera. I had a good suggestion to use windows movie maker with my line-in as the sound source and my webcam as the video source.

I tried this out today and it worked very well but for the fact the video recorded pretty slow. The sound was superb, and the bonus was that you can hear not only the guitar but the backing track also!! So great sound, but the poor webcam which Is actually high quality did not record so well, only 30fps.

So my question is, can anyone think of a camera device that is as cheap as possile that I can record with?

Many thanks wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
david80
Jan 19 2008, 07:56 PM
GMC:er
I use a webcam... Logitech quickcam
Digitech gnx4 in the computer and webcam.
I record with Moviemaker (xp version)
exemple

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=10857

wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by david80: Jan 19 2008, 07:58 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 19 2008, 07:59 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi david! yeah that works well - I wonder why my recording came out so slow, its usually pretty fast when im online unsure.gif smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 19 2008, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
Matt, I used a Firewire 410 and a Logitech Quick cam for this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...19162&hl=en

and I experienced the same problems you're having.

Maybe try this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...e=09-55296647-2

it's 2.0 MP and up to 30 FPS, I don't think the human eye can see faster than that.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 19 2008, 11:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm 30fps is fast ... wink.gif Its regular NTSC framerate...Maybe experiment with codec in which movie maker records...I think your problem lies there..Maybe movie maker automatically made 15fps so its slow because of that..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 20 2008, 02:25 PM
Instructor
30fps is quite enough. If you can see the "slideshow" it is around 10-20 frames per second. Webcam is usually poor framerate. If you can see the slideshowing in the movie maker before you actually record it (like in the monitor window) than its the camera. IT doesent' matter if you render it in 30 fps, you'll still have only ~15fps from the camera.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 20 2008, 07:19 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well my camera should be a pretty good one,its a Creative NX Pro (I belive) and when im online the image is always noticable higherquality than my friends. So are you guys saying it might be a codec or a movie maker setting that halving the frame rate down?

sorry im so noobish when it comes to recording unsure.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 21 2008, 04:19 PM
I think something with setting up codec and/or movie maker is making the video slower fps...Try playing with settings a little bit more..

Ok more in detail :

Open Movie Maker , go to File tab choose Capture Video. You will see at available devices your web came , click on it to select it.On the right down , there is a configure button.Open it.GO to video settings and adjust the frame rate to 25 (or 30) fps , and choose resolution you want..Close that.As audio source you already know what to choose..After that click NEXT, and after that tab again NEXT.Than you will have an option to choose : Other Settings - and choose Video For Local Playback (2.1 Mbps) - it features 30fps.

Click next...

That way I think you should gain better quality video and audio..

Try it and report what you get wink.gif

I hope I helped a little wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 22 2008, 05:20 PM
Lets go fishing!
This is most kind of you Bogdan , and much appreciated.I will try this tonight and let you know how I get on !! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 22 2008, 05:46 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 22 2008, 04:20 PM) *
This is most kind of you Bogdan , and much appreciated.I will try this tonight and let you know how I get on !! wink.gif

I gave Bogdans advice a go last night and it did seem to work a lot better, when I played it back it wasnt too bad at all, but after I saved it to my PC (I chose the same format 2.1mbps) it was not as good again for some reason sad.gif

I think the natural light has quite a lot to do with it, I recorded the Beginners improv vid with my webcam but I did it during the day with the curtains wide open, the door wide open to get as much light into the room as possible, the quality on that (altho not brilliant) is much better than the ones I try to do at night with just the light on.

Hopefully you`ll get a better result, I`ve tried saving it in all the different formats but none seemed to make any difference to mine sad.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 22 2008, 06:40 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Good light is definitely the most important thing here - no camera does a really good job in low light - if you are serious about videoing at night I suggest you get some pwerful flood lighting. You don;t need to spend a fortune on pro gear though I don't think - a trip to your local DIY store will probably do it smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 22 2008, 07:27 PM
Lets go fishing!
Im overwhelmed with this hints and tips!! Its so easy for me to record useing Windows Movie make because I can tap straight of my Pandora unit for the sound. It would be great to get the vision sorted to so I can record some usefull vids that people can benifit from smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 22 2008, 07:51 PM
Try using Other Settings : High Quality video (large) as settings when saving on computer..
Maybe thats the best option for saving in movie maker ...You can later on compress it to other formats.

Also lighting is VERY important..Especially for web cams...So I suggest using natural day light (open windows etc) ...Also maybe a cheap halogen lamp would do the trick too..

I remember me recording some videos using movie maker and web cam and they turned out pretty good wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 24 2008, 12:29 AM
Any progress Matt ? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 24 2008, 05:27 PM
Instructor
Buy some cheap lightnings, you can find it in almost any ilght store. It will definately make your videos shine wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:00 AM