2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tom Petty
rokchik
Apr 12 2008, 11:48 PM
The Dark Canuck
I can't recall us having a discussion about Tom Petty here at GMC which is a shame. A great musician influenced by the Beatles, the Stones, Dylan, and Elvis. An amazing song writter who has a vast catalogue of just fantastic music. I've been listening to Tom Petty since I was a kid and whether he's going solo, with the Heartbreakers or with The Traveling Wilburys he's always great. His videos are always entertaining....and weird smile.gif and the man has a recurring role as Lucky on King of the Hill, how freaking cool can ya get tongue.gif laugh.gif

Here are some of my favorites from Mr. Petty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJMp5bz9u8
I Won't Back Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLOMYY1FLkM
Yer So Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Sy2RAvQTU
Runnin Down a Dream (Superbowl Show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwfcM148i98
Walls

And with The Traveling Wilburys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHtQCUOr4lw
Handle With Care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjRJ9ubbJQ
End of the Line

Just wondering what others think of him.

rok

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Apr 12 2008, 11:49 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Apr 13 2008, 01:18 AM
GMC:er
Actually I found my dad's old greatest hits cd a couple of weeks ago and put it in my car and I love it, many hits I recognized just I didn't know it was Petty. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 13 2008, 01:34 AM
The Dark Canuck
I just put the Greatest Hits CD back in my truck today smile.gif

Petty has many many great songs. A few others I didn't post are "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Into the Great Wide Open" "Free Fallin" "Learning to Fly" "Refugee" " The Apartment Song" and the list goes on and on.

rok

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 13 2008, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Apr 12 2008, 07:34 PM) *
I just put the Greatest Hits CD back in my truck today smile.gif

Petty has many many great songs. A few others I didn't post are "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Into the Great Wide Open" "Free Fallin" "Learning to Fly" "Refugee" " The Apartment Song" and the list goes on and on.

rok

You missed this one (a regular in my list of exercise music)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9RTrQ1WDVQY&feature=related

I have felt he was very influenced by the 60's band the Byrds. You can hear that distinctly here, in this Dylan song from that epoch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zAGylaoBt6M

+Quote Post
swingline
Apr 13 2008, 02:39 AM
Here is a rather lenghthy article (in which I am too lazy to read smile.gif ) from UG http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/..._tom_petty.html

This post has been edited by swingline: Apr 13 2008, 02:40 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 13 2008, 02:59 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (rokchik @ Apr 12 2008, 06:48 PM) *
I can't recall us having a discussion about Tom Petty here at GMC which is a shame. A great musician influenced by the Beatles, the Stones, Dylan, and Elvis. An amazing song writter who has a vast catalogue of just fantastic music. I've been listening to Tom Petty since I was a kid and whether he's going solo, with the Heartbreakers or with The Traveling Wilburys he's always great. His videos are always entertaining....and weird smile.gif and the man has a recurring role as Lucky on King of the Hill, how freaking cool can ya get tongue.gif laugh.gif

Here are some of my favorites from Mr. Petty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJMp5bz9u8
I Won't Back Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLOMYY1FLkM
Yer So Bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Sy2RAvQTU
Runnin Down a Dream (Superbowl Show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwfcM148i98
Walls

And with The Traveling Wilburys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHtQCUOr4lw
Handle With Care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DjRJ9ubbJQ
End of the Line

Just wondering what others think of him.

rok

Man, the video for walls was awesome. One of the best I've seen actually.

I've always liked petty but never listened to him much, thanks for the videos.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 13 2008, 04:11 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Tom Petty have some great songs smile.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 13 2008, 04:15 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 12 2008, 10:35 PM) *
You missed this one (a regular in my list of exercise music)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9RTrQ1WDVQY&feature=related

I have felt he was very influenced by the 60's band the Byrds. You can hear that distinctly here, in this Dylan song from that epoch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zAGylaoBt6M

Great videos smile.gif

I feel as well that Petty was heavily influenced by the 60's. I forgot to mention the Byrds in my original post, and I always found Pettys voice very Dylan like.

@JVM - Walls is probably my favorite Petty song actually and yes the video is really great. I'm glad you enjoyed smile.gif

+Quote Post
kahall
Apr 13 2008, 04:54 AM
Learning Roadie
I remember when I was in my early teens (78, 79ish), late at night I was listening to a radio show and the guy was discussing an artist I had never heard of, it was TP. It was right after Damm The Torpedos came out, he would play a song and then interview someone or talk about TP's record deal. He had a hard time getting a record contract because all the executives thought his songs were too short. It was the decade of epics so it makes sense now. I remember it because I went out the next day and bought the album and I still love it and it has been almost 30 years. (DANG!) Every song is a hit and the lyrics are the best.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
swingline
Apr 13 2008, 05:12 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Apr 12 2008, 08:54 PM) *
I remember when I was in my early teens (78, 79ish),

You know what they say the 70s are the new 20s. laugh.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 13 2008, 05:20 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Apr 12 2008, 10:54 PM) *
I remember when I was in my early teens (78, 79ish), late at night I was listening to a radio show and the guy was discussing an artist I had never heard of, it was TP. It was right after Damm The Torpedos came out, he would play a song and then interview someone or talk about TP's record deal. He had a hard time getting a record contract because all the executives thought his songs were too short. It was the decade of epics so it makes sense now. I remember it because I went out the next day and bought the album and I still love it and it has been almost 30 years. (DANG!) Every song is a hit and the lyrics are the best.

goes to show, there are some smart guys in Missouri. I have always said so, although some around me don't believe it.

+Quote Post
kahall
Apr 13 2008, 06:37 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (swingline @ Apr 12 2008, 11:12 PM) *
You know what they say the 70s are the new 20s. laugh.gif

I don't know what that means, but I like it.

QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 12 2008, 11:20 PM) *
goes to show, there are some smart guys in Missouri. I have always said so, although some around me don't believe it.

Wishing I would run into some of them. ;-)

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 13 2008, 07:07 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Apr 13 2008, 12:37 AM) *
I don't know what that means, but I like it.

Wishing I would run into some of them. ;-)

Ah, Springfield is ok. One of my earliest memories in life was going down there, to Table Rock lake, and to Branson, Silver Dollar City. At that time, as I remember it, the big attractions were this house that felt all crooked when you walked into it, and a mule you could sit on and have your picture taken. I realize it has considerably expanded since then. I actually have a photo, oh right, three things. They had this hangman's noose that you could stick your head though and also get your picture taken (but not while riding the mule of course).

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Apr 13 2008, 06:35 PM
Instructor
Tom Petty is a God!! I enjoy his songs a lot, their are so cool!!
Maybe, my three favourites songs are Free fallin', Learning to Fly and Mary Jane's last dance.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 13 2008, 06:51 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Pablo Vazquez @ Apr 13 2008, 02:35 PM) *
Tom Petty is a God!! I enjoy his songs a lot, their are so cool!!
Maybe, my three favourites songs are Free fallin', Learning to Fly and Mary Jane's last dance.

Great songs but after seeing the video for "Mary Janes Last Dance" I listen to the song in a whole different way. tongue.gif But it's still one of my faves.

rok

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Apr 13 2008, 07:06 PM
I love the song "I won't back down", it's awesome smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 13 2008, 07:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't listen at all to Tom Petty but I can't vouch for that his songs are great to perform live. Everyone knows his songs, no matter of their age it's like they get stuck in peoples heads.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 13 2008, 08:22 PM
Instructor
nice song thanks for sharing

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 13 2008, 08:37 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Not a huge fan of Tom Petty, but I love "I wont back down" and "running down a dream" thanks for the links, not listened to them for quite a while smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
kahall
Apr 13 2008, 09:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 13 2008, 01:07 AM) *
Ah, Springfield is ok. One of my earliest memories in life was going down there, to Table Rock lake, and to Branson, Silver Dollar City. At that time, as I remember it, the big attractions were this house that felt all crooked when you walked into it, and a mule you could sit on and have your picture taken. I realize it has considerably expanded since then. I actually have a photo, oh right, three things. They had this hangman's noose that you could stick your head though and also get your picture taken (but not while riding the mule of course).

I spent a lot of my youth at Table Rock lake as we had a place there. I have been to SDC many times, the crooked place you mention is called Granpa's Mansion and it is still there. I do not remember the noose but I bet it is gone since that would be beyond PC. I have not been near the place in 5 years or so and I find it to be a bore now.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:40 PM