How Many Exercises To Tackle At Once?
PlayAllDay
Oct 2 2007, 09:21 PM
GMC:er
Hi Pavel,
I've decided to learn to shred ( you have inspired me to finally do it ) and so I have learnt the AP1 exercise and its coming along nicely. Should I do them all in order or is it a good idea to include Ionian AP exercise now too? How many exercises should I study at once - would too many be confusing?? unsure.gif

I am trying to put in 3 hours per day and build that up as high as I can over time - aiming for regular 5 hours but it's fitting it into running my business as well that can be tricky!!

Currently I am practising AP, legato, fingerpicking(Muris' 2 songs) and some vertical minor sixtuplets of Kris'. Also just some general strumming of a bunch of other tunes.

I have stuck to AP1 for the last four days and I have it down biggrin.gif and now am just gently improving the speed bit by bit so should I tackle only AP2 or start AP3 and Ionian as well.
I'm also going to include 10 mins of sweep basics as you say that takes aaaaages to master...will 10mins be enough to start me off for now?

My main aim at the moment is to master all the boxes and improve my AP speed to at least 120 bpm easily.
I love the guitar and I went to a Paul Gilbert clinic earlier this year, he inspired me SO much but I didn't believe I could do it too. Then I found GMC and you and now I believe in myself. I will continue to work until I achieve these goals and thankyou so much for helping me and everyone else here as much as you do. cool.gif
Sorry for SO many questions in one post blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Oct 3 2007, 01:22 AM
Instructor
It's actually only 1 question biggrin.gif You're welcome man!

It wold be good to have like 3-4 AP exercises ti practice so you can change them every 5-10 minutes. Like playing Ex1 for 10 minutes, than change to ex2 and play it for 10 minutes and so on just rolling them around.

I usually have 3 legato exercises, 3-4 sweeping exercises and 4 AP exercises for my practice sessions than i just mix all of them and play each of them for let's say 5 minutes. A practice session of 3 hours like that gives some good results. You're not bored by 1 exercise and you still repeat it a lot.

Try something like that. It works for me. smile.gif

You can easily learn both AP1 and AP4 at the same time, don't worry about that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Oct 3 2007, 04:48 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Oct 3 2007, 01:22 AM) *

It wold be good to have like 3-4 AP exercises ti practice so you can change them every 5-10 minutes. Like playing Ex1 for 10 minutes, than change to ex2 and play it for 10 minutes and so on just rolling them around.

I usually have 3 legato exercises, 3-4 sweeping exercises and 4 AP exercises for my practice sessions than i just mix all of them and play each of them for let's say 5 minutes. A practice session of 3 hours like that gives some good results. You're not bored by 1 exercise and you still repeat it a lot.

Thanks for the advice Pavel. I'd been wondering about how many lessons to work on at one time.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 3 2007, 06:58 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Oct 3 2007, 01:22 AM) *

Makes sense sort of but aren't the higher levels for when you get good enough? Like with Kris' tapping lessons shouldn't you take those one by one or am i confused? Maybe you mean practice the sweeping basics, but make your own sweep in the same sort of way just to make it a bit different?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Oct 3 2007, 07:42 AM
Instructor
Yeah, those AP lessons are all the same difficulty so i think you guys shouldn't have problems practicing 2 of them or 3 at the same time!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Oct 3 2007, 12:47 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Oct 3 2007, 08:22 AM) *

Thanks Pavel, that sounds great.
So today I have learnt AP 2 and 3 and it didnt take me very long - excellent. I've nearly memorised AP 4 and box 1 of Ionian so I'll just keep going round and round all those. Makes it much more interesting, thats 4 sure!
Have also learnt part 1 of Hand Control - man that skipping is tricky stuff laugh.gif
Gonna get brave and start the Sweeping Basics tonight too...eeek! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:44 AM