2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Recording Drums, with Cubase
big harry
Feb 28 2009, 10:02 AM
Learning Roadie - CHALLENGE STAR!
Hey everyone

i would like to start to create my own tracks and therefore i need to record drums

i am using cubase and addictice drums DEMO
i am able to play drums and record guitar, but how can i record the drums in cubase ?
if i open addictice drums there are a few lines from AD with kick, snare, toms etc but how can i record them ?
there is no record button on this lines
i would like to make an extra drum line maybe with kick, snare an all on extra track
is this possible with AD Demo ?

can anyone give some suggestions please ?

THX a lot
Harry

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 28 2009, 11:07 PM
Instructor
You're talking about this program right http://www.xlnaudio.com/ ?

The first thing you have to do is:

1 -open the cubase
2 -open a new project
3 -go to devices and press VST instruments
4 -in the window that appears you have to select the Addictive Drums
5 -put the MIDI track into the cubase (or import)
6 -in the mixer you have to select the output of that MIDI channel to the Addictive Drums
7 -now press play and the magic should happend

If you want to record the drums then you have to export the audio.

1- select the audio that you want to export
2- go to the menu-file-export audio
3- select where you want to export the audio and in which format (wav, mp3, aiff)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ramiro Delforte: Feb 28 2009, 11:09 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2009, 01:24 AM
Instructor
Addictive drums VST instrument is a plugin that plays MIDI files. You need a MIDI pattern of the drums in order for AD to play it.

1. Start new project
2. Press F11 and choose AD from the list
3. Create New MIDI track (right click on the track strip and add new MIDI track)
4. in the left part of the screen (inspector view), choose AD as the "out" for the MIDI track
5. open the AD
6. drag and drop grooves on the MIDI track in order to create some patterns or draw the patterns with your mouse on the MIDI track, or if you have MIDI keyboard or MIDI drums press record and record MIDI notes on the MIDI track.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 1 2009, 09:21 AM
GMC:er
Hey, i want to know the same.. actually im stuck with those drums, just can`t drag and drop for some reason.. and don`t know whats wrong. Guess i followed your steps Ivan but nothing happens. There`s a picture below, i need to drag on the midi line? Maybe i just trying to insert grooves in wrong places... Guess i need arrow directions biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 1 2009, 09:25 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  2.bmp ( 2.85MB ) Number of downloads: 142

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 1 2009, 12:16 PM
Instructor
You need to set the midi track to midi channel 10. I see your one is on channel 1.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 1 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks Emir, but actually no changes happenned. When i drag something mouse cursor turns into sign which tells that action is impossible\not allowed. (circle with a diagonal line inside smile.gif ) I tried to drag into different places, activate those buttons W-write enable, R-read enable, Record enable.. still won`t drag. Maybe i didn`t activate some options needed or something. Cubase in ezdrummer flash tutorial looks differently that mine (there are more options showed) Don`t know what to do:(

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 1 2009, 05:49 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 1 2009, 06:07 PM
Instructor
Have you tried to draw some notes yourself? Open the midi editor and drop some random notes with the pen tool.

Set that midi channel to 10 and set output to EZ drummer. Those notes should be heard when you press play. Let us know if that works

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 1 2009, 06:21 PM
Just done that, yeah that plays when i click at some notes, and i can play that in cubase "player". But i hope i don`t need to create all thing manually? wacko.gif i don`t even know what notes are linked to each drum..

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 1 2009, 06:23 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 1 2009, 06:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 1 2009, 05:21 PM) *
Just done that, yeah that plays when i click at some notes, and i can play that in cubase "player". But i hope i don`t need to create all thing manually? wacko.gif i don`t even know what notes are linked to each drum..

If you chose GM drum map then you can see the sound names instead of keyboard picture.

You problem looks like your loops are empty. Can you preview (listen) the loop from the EZ drummer without draging into the cubase? If it doesn't play there then the loops are not installed.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 1 2009, 07:07 PM
You mean listen to the samples that EZ providing (load VST instrument, than choose any sample and press play, if you mean that..)? Then yes, i can. Folder - My midifiles in Ezdrummer is empty if that means something..

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 1 2009, 07:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 1 2009, 06:07 PM) *
You mean listen to the samples that EZ providing (load VST instrument, than choose any sample and press play, if you mean that..)? Then yes, i can. Folder - My midifiles in Ezdrummer is empty if that means something..

Then there must be some bug smile.gif If you can hear them from EZdrummer then they are there but if the notes are empty when you drag the loop into your midi track then it looks like a strange behaviour. When I drag the Ezdrummer loop into cubase track I can see the notes (events) inside. Of course you won't hear anything if there are no notes. Try Google and check some forums if anybody reported the same problem. I have never had such problem and I am very sorry I cannot be of further help. Good luck with it and let us know if you solved.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
big harry
Mar 1 2009, 08:15 PM
hey guys

THX for me its working, drag and drop is a wonderful thing tongue.gif
didnt realize, that i just need to drag it to the cubase track, thought i need to record it, but now its working wonderful

THX Emir, Ivan and Ramiro

Now i can create my own music

did this only in GP so far, and its many work there to put the drums in *ufff*
but i guess for bass or synth i will still need to do this via GP *hmpf*

THX so far, problem is solved, if there are any questions left i will come back, PROMISE *hehehe*

cya
guys
Harry

+Quote Post
big harry
Mar 1 2009, 09:18 PM
hey guys

just to let you know that i made it, here is a short example to have a look at
hope you like it biggrin.gif

cheers
Harry

Attached File(s)
Attached File  2009_03_01_New_riff_01.mp3 ( 688.29K ) Number of downloads: 174

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 1 2009, 10:56 PM
Attached File  1.bmp ( 2.85MB ) Number of downloads: 144
Attached File  2.bmp ( 2.85MB ) Number of downloads: 148
quote name='Emir Hot' post='347068' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:34 PM']Then there must be some bug smile.gif If you can hear them from EZdrummer then they are there but if the notes are empty when you drag the loop into your midi track then it looks like a strange behaviour. When I drag the Ezdrummer loop into cubase track I can see the notes (events) inside. Of course you won't hear anything if there are no notes. Try Google and check some forums if anybody reported the same problem. I have never had such problem and I am very sorry I cannot be of further help. Good luck with it and let us know if you solved.[/quote]
Ok, maybe i need to try reinstall software.. and if that wouldn`t help search for something in google:)
to Big harry - you did this pretty good, only tone was a bit strange sounding like too "sharp" or too much treble, at least for me:)

Later...
Now i discovered one thing. When i try to drag samples over the project window appears plus sign ( i can add that!) and opens new project, and when a done all the settings it even works! But i can`t add something in main window like on screen above. And also appears some kind of error, which i really don`t like, seems that maybe is something wrong with cubase.. Any suggestions?

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 1 2009, 10:58 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 1 2009, 11:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (big harry @ Mar 1 2009, 09:18 PM) *
hey guys

just to let you know that i made it, here is a short example to have a look at
hope you like it biggrin.gif

cheers
Harry

Sounds right to me Harry wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 2 2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (big harry @ Mar 1 2009, 08:15 PM) *
hey guys

THX for me its working, drag and drop is a wonderful thing tongue.gif
didnt realize, that i just need to drag it to the cubase track, thought i need to record it, but now its working wonderful

THX Emir, Ivan and Ramiro

Now i can create my own music

did this only in GP so far, and its many work there to put the drums in *ufff*
but i guess for bass or synth i will still need to do this via GP *hmpf*

THX so far, problem is solved, if there are any questions left i will come back, PROMISE *hehehe*

cya
guys
Harry

You're welcome mate!

Is nice to see that now you can record your work smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 2 2009, 10:07 AM
I searched through many posts on cubase forum and found this - "Cubase LE doesn't support drag and drop. Sorry. You will have to import the loops directly from their containing folder". sad.gif sad.gif It`s because of old cubase version or what?! I got mine with EMU 1616 last month it can`t be outdated. Doh!.. such a dissapointment..
Emir, would you help me, please, with that importing from folder? What i need to do?

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 2 2009, 10:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 2 2009, 09:07 AM) *
I searched through many posts on cubase forum and found this - "Cubase LE doesn't support drag and drop. Sorry. You will have to import the loops directly from their containing folder". sad.gif sad.gif It`s because of old cubase version or what?! I got mine with EMU 1616 last month it can`t be outdated. Doh!.. such a dissapointment..
Emir, would you help me, please, with that importing from folder? What i need to do?

Find your EZdrummer folder in your system. Could be somewhere in program files, ezdrummer etc... Then find subfolder with the loop you want. They are well organized folders and subfolders inside. I don't have EZ installed now to tell you exactly but hopefuly you can manage. Those loops should be named the same as in the EZdrummer (something like, rock, groove 2, 100bpm etc...). They should have .mid extension. When you find the file go to Cubase and chose File/import and import the midi file from that same location. This is now not drag and drop, this is a proper import option. When you see the notes inside your track that means you are ready to go. Load your EZ drummer like before and you should be able to hear those notes playing through EZ drummer sounds. Let us know if you solved it.

edit: LE means "light edition" that's why it doesn't support drag and drop

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Mar 2 2009, 10:24 AM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 2 2009, 11:23 AM
At last! It works! smile.gif Thank you a lot, Emir! smile.gif
p.s.- does LE have all functions needed for recording? (or it`s just more manual that other verisons?)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 2 2009, 11:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 2 2009, 10:23 AM) *
At last! It works! smile.gif Thank you a lot, Emir! smile.gif
p.s.- does LE have all functions needed for recording? (or it`s just more manual that other verisons?)

Great you made it smile.gif

About the other question I am not sure I understand smile.gif Of course you can record, Cubase is software for recording and mixing stuff.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:45 PM