Is The Zoom G2.1u Multieffects Pedal Any Good?
Fran
Dec 19 2007, 10:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I might get a multieffects pedal, and I thought that this G2.1u looks good, with an expression pedal to use with wah wah, volume, etc.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/

I also thought about getting a dunlop crybaby wah wah instead, because I already have a pocket pod which has many effects.

But the G2.1u has some other cool effects appart from wah wah that the pocketpod can't produce, and it costs just a bit more than the dunlop wah wah.

So I guess the question is:

Is the dunlop original wah wah so much better than the wah wah effect that you can get from a multieffects pedal?

And also, do you guys have any experinece with this Zoom pedal? I don't know much about this stuff, but I know that boss effects are known to be great, but I haven't heard much about Zoom.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 20 2007, 12:14 AM
Instructor
You can hear the sound of this unit in some of my lessons.
When I have used a real amp, it's written.

The expression pedal on G2.1u works well as a wah pedal.
I hope to do a lesson using this feature in the next weeks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 20 2007, 12:56 AM
That would be great smile.gif

I was afraid that the wah on the zoom wasn't good, but if it is I rather get this than a standalone wah pedal.

wah pedals are cheaper but not that much cheaper, and this unit is good also to record via USB (hopefully solving the lag problem I get trying to record through the mic input).

Will be looking forward to that lesson!

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 20 2007, 10:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 19 2007, 10:31 PM) *
So I guess the question is:

Is the dunlop original wah wah so much better than the wah wah effect that you can get from a multieffects pedal?

Thanks!

Yes it is SO MUCH better than the multieffects pedal wah. Buy yourself a Dunlop Wah-Wah, and you won't regret it. Dunlop you never have to sell, and you will be selling that zoom in a few years for sure. Always buy quality equipment if you have a chance, never buy multi effects just to have a bunch of useless effects. Also you already have POD, so I guess that is enough for some home recording and playing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 20 2007, 10:24 AM
Lets go fishing!
I asked my parents for a Dunlop Cry baby WAH WAH christmas, and they bought me the Zoom Pedal instead as the wise guy told in the shop told them it was just as good, and more.

I opened up my parcel on christmas day and thought "ahh ok, not what i wanted but will try it". The unit was ok, not bad but a bit fiddly for my liking and i returned it as my Roland Cube 60watt at the time had tones of effects anyway.

In short, i was bitterly disapointed I didnt get a real Crybaby ! sad.gif sad.gif The shop were incompitant they couldnt even manage to order me a new one in after 6 months of waiting, so I got my money back.

Sure the Zoom is ok for home recording, but Im with Ivan here! There is nothing like buying quality analouge pedals. Even if you only buy one a year it should last you a lifetime if looked after ! And theres nothing like the real thing.

If I already had a pocketpot I would buy the Dunlop Wah Wah (actually I wuld buy the Original Vox wah now wink.gif )

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Dec 20 2007, 10:24 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 20 2007, 11:33 AM
Instructor
It depends from what you want to do with this pedal.
Usually, I don't sell anything from my gear.
In the next weeks my custom pedalboard will born. I have a standard GCB95 Dunlop Wah that will be here, of course. But I will try to use the Zoom as "bonus" pedal for special fx, whammy functions, etc...

If you find a store that has both units, just try them and you can compare how the wah works. smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 20 2007, 11:36 AM
The pocket pod is ok, but it's the only pod which doesn't allow USB recording!

That's why <I was also considering the Zoom.

I guess I'll take a trip to the store tomorrow and try both pedals, the original and the zoom wah.

Thanks for the feedback!

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 20 2007, 11:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 20 2007, 10:24 AM) *
I asked my parents for a Dunlop Cry baby WAH WAH christmas, and they bought me the Zoom Pedal instead as the wise guy told in the shop told them it was just as good, and more.

I opened up my parcel on christmas day and thought "ahh ok, not what i wanted but will try it". The unit was ok, not bad but a bit fiddly for my liking and i returned it as my Roland Cube 60watt at the time had tones of effects anyway.

In short, i was bitterly disapointed I didnt get a real Crybaby ! sad.gif sad.gif The shop were incompitant they couldnt even manage to order me a new one in after 6 months of waiting, so I got my money back.
Sure the Zoom is ok for home recording, but Im with Ivan here! There is nothing like buying quality analouge pedals. Even if you only buy one a year it should last you a lifetime if looked after ! And theres nothing like the real thing.

If I already had a pocketpot I would buy the Dunlop Wah Wah (actually I wuld buy the Original Vox wah now wink.gif )

Sorry to hear about Wah Matt sad.gif
Have you thought of Morley,Bad Horsie per example?
Less expensive I think and really easy to use,
no clicking etc,sound great as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Owen
Dec 20 2007, 09:19 PM
GMC:er
I have a Zoom G2 and it's pretty rubbish, the distortion sounds totally digital and now I have gained a bit of experience as a guitarist I do not like it at all. I much prefer Line 6 Pod's to the Zoom pedals.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 20 2007, 09:36 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 20 2007, 10:37 AM) *
Sorry to hear about Wah Matt sad.gif
Have you thought of Morley,Bad Horsie per example?
Less expensive I think and really easy to use,
no clicking etc,sound great as well. smile.gif

Yes I like the look of the Bad Horsie alot ! smile.gif My mate in the states promised to send me one, but didnt send one in the end sad.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Dec 20 2007, 09:37 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
lefty01
Dec 20 2007, 09:50 PM
GMC:er
I had a Zoom G2 for a while. I did not have the model you are looking at with the built-in expression pedal. I did plug my wah into the G2, and the sound was fine. Actually, the sound I got was close to what Kris gets, when he has wah in his lessons.I'm not sure if this answered your question or not, but hopefully this is another idea for you.

This post has been edited by lefty01: Dec 20 2007, 09:52 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 AM