2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Alternate Picking Vs Economy Picking
Smikey2006
Aug 4 2007, 04:39 AM
GMC:er
Basically i know what both are. Ive been using Economy picking for a while now because i find it more efficient to use when skipping strings and for most playing in general but now my guitar instructor at home is telling me i should be picking always alternate. For those who do not know alternate is just always alternating Up Down Up Down (string skip) Up Down. While Economy would be Down Up Down (string Skip) Down Up. What should i be doing? Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 4 2007, 09:55 AM
Instructor
We already had some topics on this. Here is one of them:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...&hl=economy

Now when you mentioned string skipping - i have a lesson called HAND CONTROL. It's filled with string skipping and i always use Alternate Picking. In my opinion AP is the best thing to do. Muris has covered economy picking in one of his lessons - check it out!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 4 2007, 10:11 AM
why not both? if you can do both you can play you choose which situations best suit the style.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 4 2007, 10:17 AM
Instructor
You can use both - of course! But i never use economy picking! It has nothing to do with style, you just decide if it's easier to play with AP or EP. To me AP is usually the key! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
JOhn
Aug 4 2007, 10:20 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 4 2007, 07:17 PM) *
You can use both - of course! But i never use economy picking! It has nothing to do with style, you just decide if it's easier to play with AP or EP. To me AP is usually the key! smile.gif

when i said style i meant economy and alt lol

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 4 2007, 10:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JOhn @ Aug 4 2007, 11:20 AM) *
when i said style i meant economy and alt lol

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif well, next time better use "technique" to avoid confusion biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 4 2007, 10:50 AM
Instructor
laugh.gif yeah,the right term must be used to avoid this kind of misunderstanding smile.gif

I'm making lesson about using both techniques,just my point of view how and when to use which one...
Hope that'll help you and solve things between you and teacher tho cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 4 2007, 11:06 AM
Lets go fishing!
I personally use AP always because thats how i started out playing with kris's advice. If you look at it from this angle - you can play everything with alternate picking! its fast, clean and you can be accurate with it! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 4 2007, 11:11 AM
Instructor
You're right 100%
Alternate picking is the most common one and basic for everything else.
But there are some licks really hard to play with alternate and that's when economy enters the scene... smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 4 2007, 02:12 PM
Lets go fishing!
I guess im going to have to learn some economy picking Muris biggrin.gif

On a slight topic change, I was wondering wat guitar you have there muris? is it a music man? smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 4 2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys i guess AP is the way to be, i had never had any problems with EP but if everyone is using AP its probably the best idea. What are some good exersizes for getting back into AP from always using EP. I cant even AP anymore as soon as its time to go up a string or down i use the picking which gets me there fastest sad.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 4 2007, 02:48 PM
Instructor
I'm preparing an economy picking lesson.. It kind of complmets Muris' lesson on it...
I would keep working on both techniques..
Although some players like Franck Gambale uses strictly economy picking.
You should look him up on Youtube...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 4 2007, 03:08 PM
Haha i use all economy.. for some reason i simply cannot get back into the rythem of d u d u d u.. when ever i go down a string it becomes a d d again sad.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 4 2007, 03:18 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I mostly stick to AP, But there are instances where EP Is more useful than AP, So i try to switch only when neccesarry. Overall though, i prefer AP.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Aug 4 2007, 03:18 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 9 2007, 09:18 PM
i'm not buying into it. On the list of important things at the moment that will give me the most bang for the buck in terms of return, changing my method of picking is pretty low on the totem pole. i mean if it works, why fix it? Sure, you don't always AP. Sweeps, blues/rock riffs special cases. Special cases. Anyone who wants to change to the rules of EP, have at it, whatever floats your boat. I see no evidence that it matters a rat's tush though, and lots of evidence that it does not. For those who say "a well rounded guitarist learns everything" I have a message for you, life is shorter than you think it is. Time spent in one way is time that cannot be spent in some alternative (and arguably more productive) fashion.

I may learn the lessons anyway though, they are good lessons in their own right, even picking AP.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 10 2007, 05:08 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 4 2007, 02:55 AM) *
We already had some topics on this. Here is one of them:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...&hl=economy

Now when you mentioned string skipping - i have a lesson called HAND CONTROL. It's filled with string skipping and i always use Alternate Picking. In my opinion AP is the best thing to do. Muris has covered economy picking in one of his lessons - check it out!

yeah, actually that is one of my favorite lessons Pavel. I learned to string skip NOT using economy, but Alternate Picking from the very beginning, and im lucky for that because that way i wont be repairing mistakes, but learning correctly since start.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 10 2007, 05:16 AM
ya me 2. right from the start i used alternate picking my teacher made me which i thought was annyoing but i thank him for it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 10 2007, 05:38 AM
My first teacher taught me economy saying it was more efficient.. and i tend to agree now.. but i just cannot break the habit of EP to learn AP its frustrating me to the max.

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 10 2007, 05:57 AM
Instructor
Both ways are cool guys,no need to concentrate on just one smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 10 2007, 06:20 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 10 2007, 12:57 AM) *
Both ways are cool guys,no need to concentrate on just one smile.gif

Mind to tell me what make sthem both really different Muris?I thing that one is just constant up down patterns and also which one falls into the catogory of double picking?There's so many names for the same thing just want to make sure i know what exactly defines them both.Started on that sweep lesson yet?You know it's to late to back out now because you have to many people waiting for it. laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:25 PM