Old School Rock Collab, FINAL MIX AND COMMENTS
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 30 2008, 08:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello!

I'm back with a final mix of this collab!! I want to than you guys for playing in this collab and being part of this unique piece of music we all created together! Backing was rock ballad from 60s type and you managed to make some cool and expressive solos to go with it! I tried to give some constructive feedback on your takes.Please keep in mind that its a subjective one and that opinions may differ, collabs are all for fun and to learn something.It was really a pleasure to work with you guys!!

HERE IS THE FINAL MIX : Attached File  Old_School_Rock_Collab_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 9.6MB ) Number of downloads: 304

Participants : 16

I arranged tracks in no particular order (I think it should be similar in what order you sent your takes in) :

Comments :

Enforcer:

We are opening this collab with your solo.I liked the guitar sound , maybe there could be less gain and treble but its very healthy sounding and cuts well through the mix.I liked the solo development and note choice..Your phrasing was really good and arpeggios were nice touch.Also the second part of the solo was spot on , the melody you developed was perfect for this style (repetitive licks) and it was very memorable..I couldn't stop hearing it in my head for few days after I first heard your take.Maybe you could work on your vibrato a little more , to make those long notes even more expressive..Thanks for participating in this collab!

Fatb0t:

First thing I notice in your take is your guitar sound..I think you overdid it with gain a lot, so the guitar sound its loosing its integrity and you can't distinguish notes well..But its easy to fix , just roll it off down..Solo idea was interesting, starting with double stops and everything.Also tapping was a good idea , could be a little more tightly played but it was nice.I really liked the ending part of the solo with high bends overlapping notes on different strings.There was a cool melody played.Very nice solo overall , I would just suggest incorporating even more bends , hammer-on , pull-offs and most importantly vibrato in order to make solos like sing! Also its a good idea to record video of your performance too, its very good tool for self evaluation too... Thanks for joining this one.

Strat:

I liked your guitar sound.I suppose its a strat guitar ? You can hear its character.But I would suggest make the sound a little more clear , by adding treble and make it more bright..It was kind muffled a bit...Solo idea was nice, intro could have been a little more convincing melody vise..Incorporating double stops was a nice touch.Main theme was nice , but I would have loved to hear more development like jumping on higher positions to make small screamy melodies or something.Generally its was a cool take , I would suggest paying a little more attention to timing and also to bending (some bends were slightly out of tune)..Fun take mate, thanks for joining this one!

Kaznie_NL:

Very nice clean guitar sound Kaznie.That type of sound really suits this track well.I liked your solo idea..Though it was lacking a little more development as second part of the track was pretty much the same as the first.Melody you were going for was nice and interesting.In the second part you should have moved to higher position to make things more interesting.I would suggest also paying more attention to bending (a the beginning of the solo note was out of tune) and also to muting (there were some unwanted noises while bending the strings).And I missed a lot vibrato on those long notes.But I know you had troubles with your wrist so this take is very good considering that! Thanks for joining this collab!!

Toroso:

Your guitar tone was very clean and I liked it!Regarding the solo development your vere lacking the phrasing to make it more interesting..Also you stayed in the same position throughout the solo..I would suggest using the C major scale (and its modes) to solo over this backing utilizing notes on the whole neck.Also this type of backing really goes well with simple vocal like melody licks...They can be repetative too and that's cool.Also incorporating hammer-ons and pull-offs and vibrato really helps a solo to be more expressive..You can play 3 notes and utilizing those expressive tools make it sing! Just take your time when jamming/composing these solos and keep in mind that good simple melodies (good executed) are always leaving good impression on the listener..It doesn't need to be technically advanced to be interesting.I would suggest exploring your fingerings and trying to play ones you are not used to from exercising scales.That way you can come up with really cool licks.Thanks for playing in this one Toroso!

Kjutte:

I liked the character of your tone..I would only suggest lowering a little gain , and also some effects you used (guitar was sound a little too much "chorus like").All notes were in place and I liked how you developed the solo and melodies and at the same time blend different techniques.I would suggest paying a little more attention to bending and vibrato control to make it more precise.Great take overall , thank for joining this collab!

Organized :

Very good guitar sound choice..Clean is a good way for this type of backing and style.I liked the melodic approach you went for.You could have used in the second part of the solo a little more different phrases to make it stand apart from the previous solo ideas.Ending on high notes was cool! I would advise paying just a little more attention to the timing though and getting into the groove of the track.Very good solo overall , thanks for participating mate!

Mat23:

Nice guitar sound, maybe adding a slightly more treble to make it bright could work too.Also lowering gain a little could be nice.I liked the octaves usage idea in the intro part.After that you went for some nice licks, though I think you didn't have to use double stops to make it more clean sounding.Second part of the solo with all the harmonies was really cool! Though in some places i didn't fit what bass was playing but it was fun to listen! More vibrato in longer notes would work great in your solo.Thanks for playing in this collab!

Tj:

Great healthy sound..I can really recognize your style.Solo was interesting , though I kinda missed small slower melodies in higher registers.But I can hear this was probably the first take.All notes were in place and you know your way on expressive tools (bends , vibrato etc).Very cool solo TJ (nothing less expected from You smile.gif ).Thank for participating!

Gilmore:

Ok you guitar tone was absolutely perfect ! Regarding the solo , well it was perfect too! You really captured the vibe of this track and made a clean solo in the style of 60s with utilizing all the little tricks heard in such solos (double stops etc).This was an excellent take !! Thanks for rocking this collab!

Superize:

Nice guitar tone..You got hang of using that toneport..Maybe a little less gain would be better though..Its a healthy recorded take.Though generally this is pretty heavy sounding color of guitar and backing is about 60s ballad but Its in your style so its cool.I can hear huge improvement in your playing in relation to some previous collabs we did together.You are playing the right notes and following the progression well.Solo idea was good , maybe in the second part you could have developed it even more to make it more interesting and different from what you played in the first part (for example changing both notes and rhythmically - how you played parts).Also I missed more hammer-ons and pull-offs in your solo and also stronger vibrato on long sounding notes..That would really make it more expressive..Very good playing my friend, thanks for joining this collab!

Leedbreak:

Nice guitar tone..To make it better I would suggest lowering gain pretty much.Nice intro utilizing arpeggios.You developed some cool phrases in your solo..To make it more interesting I would suggest making pauses between phrases to make your solo breath a little more.Last part of the solo was a little flat sounding because of using same note lengths..experiment with that a little more..Thanks for participating mate..Cool take overall!

Skennington:

Nice guitar tone mate.You could maybe make it more bright , it was a little muddy sounding.Solo idea is nice, starting slowly and than going for small melodies.I would suggest paying a little more attention to scale notes and also bending because they can be out of tune and need more control.Also its good to think about dynamics (how hard you hit the strings) to make a more smooth sounding solos...Thanks for jumping in this collab mate!

Col Roberts:

Excellent clean guitar sound..It was really good! I liked the ambiance on that too (delay) and the intro melodie was interesting.Also second part of the solo is sounding good and you didn't much experiment rather just go with proven type of solo (repetitive licks of the time and intervals usage)..Also octaves were nice! Its good to keep it simple yet effective!! Cool solo overall , thank Col for joining this joining this collab!

Velvet Roger:

Ok you forgot to send me the guitar only take, the one that should be that was one with just the backing solo , so I used your mix with the backing..Interesting guitar sound..A little muffled though (like your playing underwater).Intro melodies was good, in the second part you could have made it more interesting by going for something new rather using the same idea from the intro(and playing around)..Third and 4th parts of the solo were pretty good! Though be careful what notes you play (some were out of scale).Very nice take overall , thanks for playing in this one!

Son Of Desteny:

Ok we got a pleasure to end this collab with your take! Guitar sound was nice and it cuts through mix well.I liked the solo and phrases you went for..Though I feel you were having troubles with your technique to get all the notes out so I would suggest simplifying part in order to execute them well..That will always sound much more convincing than "sloppy" parts..Though you were not heaving that much troubles, I'm sure if you playing this solo one more time you would nail it.As I said note choice was nice, maybe a little more expressive tools like bend and vibrato and it would be perfect..Thanks for playing in this collab and also closing it !!

Cheers smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Bogdan Radovic   Old School Rock Collab   Nov 30 2008, 08:48 PM
- - OrganisedConfusion   Thanks for the collab Bogdan. It was a cool backin...   Nov 30 2008, 09:00 PM
- - Caelumamittendum   Sorry for not having participated. I only recently...   Nov 30 2008, 09:50 PM
- - kjutte   Thanks, I know my bends aren't 100% so I keep ...   Nov 30 2008, 10:51 PM
- - skennington   Thanks for the collab and the comments Bogdan. I w...   Nov 30 2008, 11:04 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Wow, this was a great collab guys, great takes all...   Nov 30 2008, 11:07 PM
- - enforcer   Great job Bogdan, I agree %100 with your comments,...   Nov 30 2008, 11:40 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Nov 30 2008, 09...   Nov 30 2008, 11:42 PM
- - Toroso   Thanks for the collab Bog. This was not my best ef...   Dec 1 2008, 01:42 AM
- - Col Roberts   Hi Bogdan, Thanks for putting this...   Dec 1 2008, 07:59 AM
- - SonofDestiny   Hey Bogdan! Thanks for the comments You'r...   Dec 1 2008, 08:03 AM
- - Gilmore   Great collab overall, and thanks for the kind comm...   Dec 1 2008, 08:52 AM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (Gilmore @ Dec 1 2008, 08:52 AM) Gr...   Dec 1 2008, 10:54 AM
nnn
- - Velvet Roger   Great playing guys! and thanks for the commen...   Dec 1 2008, 09:14 AM
- - strat   Hi Bogdan, thanks for this really cool collab and ...   Dec 1 2008, 12:34 PM
- - fatb0t   Thanks for the collab   Dec 1 2008, 02:07 PM
- - superize   Great collab everybody And thanks for the comment...   Dec 1 2008, 02:26 PM
- - kaznie_NL   Thanks Bogdan, I guess it was quit some work typi...   Dec 1 2008, 02:52 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:34 PM