> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Jdmd's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 16 2016, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Everything you can share will help me to stay more connected with you and your practice so feel free to share whatever you think deserves to be shared.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 17 2016, 01:44 AM
GMC:er
At what angle is your pick when fast alternate palm muting? I can apparently go very fast on a single string if I angle it around 45 degrees forward. It change the sound however, kind of a swoosh-y sound like Paul Gilbert described in his video.

Palm muting more than one string doesn't work too well this way however, my pick get stuck easily.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 18 2016, 04:49 AM
Here's my new take for the not-Metallica song. Not the best take once again, but it took me around 27 takes to get there. Most bad takes were timing issues in the intro where's there is no drum, some were cat-related, some where just me hitting the wrong string. I included a few bad takes at the end, most of them ending with me playing random notes.

This post has been edited by jdmd: Mar 18 2016, 08:16 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2016, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I cannot see the video, not sure if it's my computer or anything else, could you please copy the direct link?

About the angle, I try to angle it the less possible because the sound get less clear when you angle it too much. I usually don't angle the pick or sometimes just a bit.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 18 2016, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 18 2016, 02:08 PM) *
Hi mate, I cannot see the video, not sure if it's my computer or anything else, could you please copy the direct link?

Not sure why it's not showing. Here's the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT1EHUeeitk...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2016, 08:28 PM
Instructor
Your right hand looks great on the video. You still need to practice to be able to play the riffs smoother and tight with the backing but you're on the right track. I also note pitch issues when playing the power chords, but also in the solo. I'm not sure if the guitar is out of tune or if it's related to your fingers pressure.

The solo also shows that you need to polish the faster parts to make them sound clear and tight.

You just need more days of practice, keep working!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 18 2016, 09:09 PM
The guitar was tuned beforehand. I haven't checked it's intonation, maybe that's the problem? I was planning to do this tomorrow anyway. I'll keep you updated. I'm getting more and more confortable with the grip. I'm also experimenting with different picks (like the Jazz III) and different angles.

So right now I'm doing the legato exercice, the bending exercise, I practice strumming and palm muting, then I play the song a few times. Anything I should add? And how much time should I spend on every exercise if I have 30 minutes to 1 hour of practice each day?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2016, 07:26 PM
Instructor
I think that the current routine is enough for a 1 hour per day practice. Regarding how to organize your time, there are two possibilities that you could try and see which one is more effective for you.

- Dividing your time on 4 equal blocks and practice the same time each topic.
- Divide in 4 blocks, one longer (30 minutes) and 3 shorter (10 minutes). In this approach you'll dedicate the longer block to a different topic each day.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 23 2016, 03:10 AM
I only played 15 minutes in 3 days, but my picking actually improved! I'll play for a full hour tomorrow, I promise. I'll try to post a video on Friday or Saturday morning.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2016, 01:22 PM
Instructor
Great! Thanks for the update, I'll wait for your new takes...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 26 2016, 05:14 PM
I'm at 55 takes and I still struggle to get something semi-decent and not particularly better than my last video. I'm getting really frustrated. I kept hitting other strings, or my fingers decided to forget to hammer on a note, or they played completely the wrong thing even if I know the bloody song. I'm discouraged now. sad.gif

Here's my last take with a few errors at the end. Sorry for the really bright fretboard. tongue.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxnBXPBuVVA

This post has been edited by jdmd: Mar 26 2016, 06:03 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2016, 02:39 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, it takes time to see notorious improvements, you have to keep working hard, and they will come, but patience and diary practice are the keys.

I think that we are ready to build your first routine. A well organized practice schedule to be done every day for 1/2 weeks. How much time per day do you have to practice?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 28 2016, 06:29 PM
Yay, I've been looking forward to the day I would get an official routine ! smile.gif

Like I said before, I have between 30 minutes to one hour a day, depending on a lot of factors. It would be great if you could give me options/priorities depending on how much time I have each day.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2016, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Great! Well, I think that the structure of your first routine could be:

- Warming up (5 minutes)
https://youtu.be/1XsLRQFV7rY

- Alternate Picking + Legato (10 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...g_intermediate/

- Rhythm (5 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...entials-Riffs1/

- Bending (5 minutes)
https://youtu.be/Hh_pYY6UYIw

- Theory (5 minutes)
Impro Course - Week #1

The best for this routine would be to practice for 1 hour and dedicate more time for each topic, but if you only have 30 minutes, go for the suggested minutes. Please let me know what you think!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 30 2016, 12:18 AM
I'm trying the routine right now, I'll be commenting on each one after I'm done with it.

Stretching : Woah, John really changed a lot! He should share his bodybuilding routine instead of his guitar practice routine! Is there a specific number of times I should do each stretches or duration I should do the massages ?

Legato : Woah, that's fast. I'll start at 25 BPM and work my way up eventually. I'm having trouble with the legato part when there is three notes that are each 2 frets apart, like |-7-5-3-5-3. I'm have somewhat small hand, so it's a big strech, it's really hard to get a nice legato there. I'm also really bad at placing my fingers on the other frets before doing pull-offs in general. Any advice?

Rhythm : Man that's a brutal track! I'll have to work on my thumb position for the pinch harmonics, but nothing special to add here for the moment, except that the very fast riff in the first part is well...very fast.

Bending : I get how to do the exercise, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do for 5 minutes. Do I just pick random notes then try to bend it a half-step and then a whole step, then pick another one? Do I stay on a note for a while? Also I really don't get how to do a vibrato while bending. When I try to do it, it sounds all wonky and not musical at all.

Theory : Not sure what I'm supposed to do here, I sadly don't have time to watch the whole 1 hour G-Chat. I played the scales that were under week 1, not sure what else I should do.

So far it looks interesting, once my questions will be answered, it'll be a blast!
Also, what kind of feedback would you like to see from me during the next weeks?

This post has been edited by jdmd: Mar 30 2016, 12:34 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 30 2016, 02:17 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Interesting questions! here we go...

QUOTE (jdmd @ Mar 29 2016, 08:18 PM) *
Stretching : Woah, John really changed a lot! He should share his bodybuilding routine instead of his guitar practice routine! Is there a specific number of times I should do each stretches or duration I should do the massages ?

Divide the 5 minutes into blocks to dedicate the same amount of time to each position. You can do the same thing at the end of the routine. It's very good to take care of our hands, arms and muscles. We can change guitar and strings but not our body.

Legato : Woah, that's fast. I'll start at 25 BPM and work my way up eventually. I'm having trouble with the legato part when there is three notes that are each 2 frets apart, like |-7-5-3-5-3. I'm have somewhat small hand, so it's a big strech, it's really hard to get a nice legato there. I'm also really bad at placing my fingers on the other frets before doing pull-offs in general. Any advice?

Take some time to just keep your fingers on the shape. Practice the stretch without playing. Move it up and down on the neck. Also be sure to put your thumb in the center of the other fourth fingers. I've seen many students that use their thumb closer to the first finger and it makes stretches more difficult. Even with small hands, this shapes are doable, but you can need some days to get used to it.

Rhythm : Man that's a brutal track! I'll have to work on my thumb position for the pinch harmonics, but nothing special to add here for the moment, except that the very fast riff in the first part is well...very fast.

Practice at a slow tempo that feels comfortable and increase it gradually. Don't practice at a tempo in which you can play the riffs clearly.

Bending : I get how to do the exercise, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do for 5 minutes. Do I just pick random notes then try to bend it a half-step and then a whole step, then pick another one? Do I stay on a note for a while? Also I really don't get how to do a vibrato while bending. When I try to do it, it sounds all wonky and not musical at all.

This is more like a free exercise so you can do whatever entertains you. What I usually do is turn on a backing track and do the work on random notes but using a scale that works over the backing. This makes me always stay in pitch and scale. You can find some extra info for the same exercise here: https://youtu.be/JNDyI5b3Fh8

Theory : Not sure what I'm supposed to do here, I sadly don't have time to watch the whole 1 hour G-Chat. I played the scales that were under week 1, not sure what else I should do.

The idea for weeks 1 and 2 is learning major scale based on the caged system, learning some patterns to get into the scale, learning some basic arpeggios and apply everything over major backing tracks. That's all. The video includes some deeper explanations and me playing the tasks.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Mar 30 2016, 03:39 PM
Perfect, thanks for the detailed answer! I should more time to dedicate on my routine tonight, I'll apply your advice. Good tip about the thumb position! I'll check if this apply to me tonight. And great idea for the backing track!

The only question you did not answer is the one about what kind of feedback you would like to receive during the next weeks. Do I just do my thing and report back in two weeks if I don't have any questions? Or do I have some kind of assignments?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 30 2016, 08:36 PM
Instructor
You can ask here every time you need it and share videos of any specific part or lesson that give you problems. What I expect from you would be an update in audio or video in around 1 week to let me check how you worked on the tasks and to decide if we go for another week with the same routine or change something. Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jdmd
Apr 1 2016, 12:45 AM
Deal. I'm already improving on the legato part, I can place my fingers into position much quicker !

+Quote Post
jdmd
Apr 1 2016, 03:36 AM
I just watched the first few minutes of the video chat. It really helped me understand everything.

But quick question :

Why is the C scale in the shape of G is not the same pattern as the G scale?

This post has been edited by jdmd: Apr 1 2016, 03:57 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:34 PM