3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Steve Vai Offset Frets?
fkalich
Aug 20 2007, 10:41 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 20 2007, 04:34 AM) *
Yeah,probably smile.gif

lets see, 8:30 here, USA central, Serbia is....8 hours later. Either you are a night person, or you are a dairy farmer and have to get up to milk the cows. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 20 2007, 10:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 20 2007, 11:41 AM) *
lets see, 8:30 here, USA central, Serbia is....8 hours later. Either you are a night person, or you are a dairy farmer and have to get up to milk the cows. smile.gif

Bosnia is the country..
And first guessing is the closer one wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 20 2007, 10:48 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 20 2007, 04:55 AM) *
They are? I have not researched this company. But this has to be some optimization algorithm subject to some rules.

Well I meant that for a given temprement the ratios are known and could be calculated into frets like that. Maybe they have something different going on, but they state they are using specific temprements, so as you say, they will be optimised for different keys and there will be compromises elsewhere. It took them a couple of hundred years to settle on the equal temprement, its doubtful they will improve on it for general use, until someone invents your realtime temptering algorythm (actually I had exactly the same notion while I was thinking about this but you get the glory because you wrote it down first!)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 20 2007, 11:24 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 20 2007, 04:46 AM) *
Bosnia is the country..
And first guessing is the closer one wink.gif

Sorry, I knew that, one of the synapses in my brain took a left firing when it should have taken a right firing. I am a night person myself.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 20 2007, 11:35 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 20 2007, 04:48 AM) *
Well I meant that for a given temprement the ratios are known and could be calculated into frets like that. Maybe they have something different going on, but they state they are using specific temprements, so as you say, they will be optimised for different keys and there will be compromises elsewhere. It took them a couple of hundred years to settle on the equal temprement, its doubtful they will improve on it for general use, until someone invents your realtime temptering algorythm (actually I had exactly the same notion while I was thinking about this but you get the glory because you wrote it down first!)

I will carve that down on my gravestone for all posterity to marvel at. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 20 2007, 03:55 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
FUZZ a swedish guitar magazine has made a test and this is the outcome, summed up in english and posted in swedish.

Not difficult to play, just don't look at the fretboard and it like a normal fretted guitar.

Bending, no problem.

There is a difference in sound, a HUGE differance. It's possible to mix barré chords with normal chords low on the neck aswell as high on the neck with a dramatic change for the positive in tone. And there's no need for a perfect pitch to hear the improvement.

As an example he played Little Wing and was able to do it in a different way compared to a normal fretted guitar. He hidn't have to dampen some strings but could let them ring (which he usually damps since they come out a bit sour)

A much better and solid solution than the "Buzz Feiten".

------
MickeM's word, I have only one thing to add to give the whole picture on this review. I suppose they would not have printed a negative article and a bit of positivism can have been added to this one.
Why is that? Because Paul Guy who is a TT partner also writes for the same magazine that did the review. Well... we only have so many guitar magazines in Sweden so it was unavoidable.

--------------
The original review in Swedish (Link to FUZZ)

Hur låter det?

Till att börja med provade jag den där uppsättningen egna standardlicks, ackord och riff som man alltid tycks spela när man får en ny gitarr i händerna. Det vill säga sånt man spelar mer utifrån fingrarnas muskelminne än med någon slags styrd medvetenhet - och - skillnaden mellan en konventionell greppbräda och en TT-bandad är stor. Mycket stor. Och tydlig. Det går utan vidare att blanda visackord med barrédito och mera udda varianter med öppna strängar, högt som lågt på halsen, och det klingar dramatiskt mycket renare än med en vanlig greppbräda. Och tro mig, man behöver inte ha absolut gehör för att höra förbättringen! Spelar man till exempel en sådan enkel ackordföljd som C, F och D (typ La Bamba eller Twist and Shout) på 8:e och 10:e band eller gör samma sak med ett ”vis-C” och barré-F och -G på 1:a och 3:e band så hörs genast förbättringen mot en konventionell greppbräda. Ett ”vis-D” eller dito G klingar dessutom minst lika rent på 14:e respektive 15:e band som på 2:a respektive 3:e.
Förbättringen gäller givetvis även 6:or, 7:or, 9:or, majackord osv. Det var dessutom en upplevelse att spela Hendrix, exempelvis Little Wing och få till alla två- och tresträngsgrepp utan störande skevheter.
Efter lite spelande börjar man inse att man inte behöver dämpa vissa strängar, töja lite extra på andra och ”mörka” sura toner, på det sätt som man vant sig vid att göra med en konventionell gitarr. Man kan alltså låta alla strängar vara med och höras utan att behöva skämmas för någon.

Tillsammans med andra instrument?

En annan misstanke hade jag inför att TT-halsarna skulle kunna låta sura i samspel med andra instrument, typ bas, andra gitarrer och klaviaturer. Visst hör man i vissa ackord skillnaden mellan till exempel en konventionell gitarr och en TT-bestyckad, men den är knappast störande. Tvärtom, låter det till och med fetare och bredare om hela klangbilden i många sammanhang. Den lilla skillnaden mellan instrumenten skapar i vissa lägen en spänning och någon slags modulationseffekt mellan instrumentens olika klangfärger som faktiskt tillför och berikar. Och att spela tillsammans med piano var en ren fröjd.

Slutomdöme

År TT-halsarna en förbättring för alla gitarrister oavsett genre? Min uppfattning är att de utan tvekan är det men att det handlar om attityd till sitt spel. Att som jazzgitarrist kunna lägga klockrena voicings över hela halsen kan ju inte vara fel. Inte heller att som rockgitarrist ha möjligheten att servera feta renstämda mattor med harmoniska övertonsserier. Eller att som blueslirare få till såväl shufflekomp som två- och tresträngslicks, utan irriterande, sura inslag. Sedan finns det ju alltid de som är nöjda med saker och ting som de är, ungefär som den äldre man jag hörde på spårvagnen för många år sedan. Mannens medresenär frågade om han hade skaffat sig färg-tv ännu? - Nej, svarade mannen, jag tycker inte det ser naturligt ut...
För egen del har jag svårt att se nackdelarna med ett instrument som stämmer avsevärt mycket bättre, i flera tonarter och som inte erbjuder några svårigheter att spela på. Vem vill inte låta bättre och få en bredare palett uttrycksmöjligheter? Kort sagt, TT är på det hela taget ett gigantiskt steg framåt för gitarren.
Dessutom tycker jag att gitarren ser fräckare, naturligare och mer organisk ut med de böjda banden.
Priset för en olackad utbyteshals i lönn med rosewoodbräda är i dagsläget 4 995:-. Inte så mycket mer än vad en exklusiv boutiquepedal kostar alltså och med tanke på vad man vinner en högst överkomlig investering enligt mitt sätt att se det.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 20 2007, 07:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 20 2007, 12:24 PM) *
Sorry, I knew that, one of the synapses in my brain took a left firing when it should have taken a right firing. I am a night person myself.

That's good to know smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:40 PM