Reaper & Amplitube Recording Issues
Quantum
Jan 17 2013, 08:11 PM
GMC:er
Hey, guys! : )

I started a few mentoring programs with some of the instructors on GMC
and I decided to use free software to record my tasks.
I currently use Reaper with the Amplitube VST FX and I'm having some noise issues.
Here's an audio sample of the background noise/humming that appears over the guitar sound:

Sample

The noise at the end of the track comes from the turning of the volume knob on the guitar.

I'll make a quick list of my hardware & software:

* Stagg Stratocaster
* Standard Cable
* Integrated sound card: High Definition Audio Device (At least that's what it says.)

* Reaper
* Amplitube 3

Preset used in the sample: Amplitube Free->Complete Rigs->Lead - High Gain->Lead Solo

The preset's perfect for shredding, because it amplifies the guitar, but it produces too much background
noise because of the distortion level. So on the one side - humming, on the other - no fast picking. : )

I tried using the Amplitube noise gate, as well as the one, that Reaper offers, but even though
it stops the humming, there is still some noise after every lick, before the gate closes.

Got any ideas?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Quantum: Jan 17 2013, 08:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2013, 08:24 PM
Todd here smile.gif I asked Quantum to start this thread as I've seen many students with similar issues. Seemed like a great way to share info!!!

First up some potential causes.

1.)Single Coil Pickups

*Single coil pickups are notorious for HUM.

Possible Solution: Leave the pickup selector set to use the middle and bridge pickup. Sometimes, this helps reduce hum/noise.

2.)Not enough gain on input/Too much gain on input.

*If you are using the input on your laptop/desktop, it may be a "Microphone" input, instead of a "line" input. Your guitar should be going in to a "line" input if you have one. If you see a little Microphone icon near the input, it's a Mic input.

Possible Solution: Turn off the plugin and make sure your not hitting the red line to hard (E.G. clipping the signal) You can push in to the red, but it should not stay there. If it is, reduce input volume using windows software mixer/level control.

3.)Noise Gate set incorrectly.

*There is a noise gate built in to Amplitude and REAGATE plugin in Reaper. Each has it's quirks.

Possible Solution: Try to use the threshold settings to cut off the signal before noise but don't clamp it too hard or it will ruin your sustain.

4.)Ground Loop/AC Hum.

*Power/Electric issues can cause noise/hum.

Possible Solution: You can buy a device like EBtech Xhum to help reduce the noise coming from power lines, light dimmers, poor grounding etc.

Attached Image

5.)Guitar Pickup Wiring Issue, not grounding.

*Your guitar itself could be the culprit if the wiring is faulty, or certain wires are touching certain bits, it can produce crazy amounts of hum. (I'm dealing with this myself!!!)

Possible Solution:
:
Take your guitar to a shop/guitar tech and ask him to make sure the wiring looks good and that it's grounded properly.

Anybody else got some tips/advie?

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 17 2013, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 17 2013, 10:34 PM
Great tips. I used volume automation on a track that had noise while I wasn't playing but wasn't noticeable while playing. Maybe not the best or easiest way to deal with it, but another option.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 18 2013, 04:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hey man,

What i understand is you are plugging your guitar directly to your onboard soundcard. If so, there will be always a humming because of the empedance problem.(Electric guitars have an unbalanced signal) You have to balance the signal before going into your computer so there won't be any issues with background noise. I would suggest you buying an external soundcard such as POD Studio Gx. Very reasonable price smile.gif

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 18 2013, 04:43 AM

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 18 2013, 06:09 PM
Sounds like you're recording direct into the Mic line. I used to have the same kind of problem, I used to run through my Live Effects Rack and then into the Mic Line and could never get a decent sound and lots of background noise. The easiest (and best) solution is to get a USB interface (as already mentioned). You don't have to spend a fortune either, as Quadrium mentioned, have a look at the Pod UX/GX series, or the M-Audio Fast Track series of units, all great value for money!

Sounds like your volume pot needs cleaning too. Give it a squirt of 'Electrical Switch Cleaner' and roll it on and off a few times. Should help a lot!!
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 18 2013, 06:10 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Quantum
Jan 19 2013, 05:05 PM
Thank you very much. Seems like I'll have to buy an USB interface.
Until then I'll use my camera to record the videos. : )

I experimented with my pedals and my amp and I managed to setup my sound,
so I could still play fast and hear myself. ^^

Thanks, guys!

This post has been edited by Quantum: Jan 19 2013, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:03 AM