Rosewood, Maple Or Ebony?, what kind of fingerboard you prefer to play on
PlayAllDay
Dec 20 2007, 12:11 AM
GMC:er
I normally play on rosewood - have once or twice played a friends guitar with maple, and have been playing my White Falcon a lot recently which has ebony. I'm starting to think I prefer the feel of ebony, wondering what others think regarding fingerboard woods. It would be great if some instructors would chime in with some opinions.... biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 20 2007, 12:16 AM
Rosewood smile.gif.. Its what im putting on my custom guitar.. i never even considerred the others smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Jeff
Dec 20 2007, 12:17 AM
I have both, but I prefer maple because it seems to be easier to slide - which fits my style.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 20 2007, 12:30 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
hmm, I have both, I really like the maple fingerboard but rosewood is harder wearing and all my guitars previously apart from the strat has had rosewood so its really my preference. smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 20 2007, 12:39 AM
Instructor
I have Maple and Rosewood too,both are great in specific way,
hard to decide which one I like more smile.gif
dry.gif Must get another custom,with Maple this time biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Dec 20 2007, 12:55 AM
Muris what is it you prefer about each wood - if you don't mind being more specific?
And Smells what qualities is it you prefer about playing on maple? Also Smells I like your avatar - groovy laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 20 2007, 12:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Dec 20 2007, 12:55 AM) *
Muris what is it you prefer about each wood - if you don't mind being more specific?
And Smells what qualities is it you prefer about playing on maple? Also Smells I like your avatar - groovy laugh.gif

Well Maple is surely more bright,and I like both bright and "unbright" wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 20 2007, 01:05 AM
I dont know the difference at all! laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 20 2007, 01:31 AM
Maple feel a bit easier to slide on not to mentions how cool it looks.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 20 2007, 01:37 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Dec 19 2007, 11:55 PM) *

As Muris says, the sound is brighter, also the maple finish is a little smoother, strange really, sometimes when I`m playing something on my Jackson (rosewood) and its just not coming together I pick up my Strat (maple) and I play it straight off, I dont know if its all in the mind, but to me there is a big difference between the two, I experience the same thing the other way around too, it depends on what I`m playing, the two guitars have such different sounds.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Dec 20 2007, 08:51 AM
In a wierd fortuitous coincidence I went by a friends today who got me to play his new toy - a Blade with a solid maple body.
So bright I had to wear sunglasses laugh.gif
But I liked it very much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 20 2007, 09:28 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Maple fretboard together with a fat humbucker sounds nice but I prefer Rosewood, seems more balanced while maple gets too bright.

I never played Ebony.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 20 2007, 10:07 AM
Instructor
I like the sound of a rosewood, but feel of a maple.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
bricktop
Dec 20 2007, 05:06 PM
Well for acoustic guitars I only like ebony, I guess it's no coincedence all three of mine have ebony boards. I think after the first one I was looking more for aesthetics other than saying " I have to have an ebony board."
As far as electric, I just picked rosewood to go with my 3 tone sunburst strat, again mostly just on what I liked to look at. In the end there's not much differnence, only in your mind...

Pau ferro is on the SRV signature strat, well the first runs had brazillian rosewood, but that was before the crackdown on limiting the exotic wood...

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 20 2007, 07:08 PM
Ebony all the way! I just love the feel of it, and in my opinion it looks far better than the other woods, especially when combined with white binding!

Although I must say maple does look awesome on strats and the like.

+Quote Post
McGoo
Dec 20 2007, 09:08 PM
I think the rosewood looks the best but I prefer the maple to play.
It's probably all in my head though biggrin.gif

--------------------
My current gear;
Gibson Robot Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster '54 Re-issue
Fender Telecaster
Samick Greg Bennett Torino TR3
Takamine EG560C Electric/acoustic
Ovation CSE2258TY Celebrity Double Neck 12/6 String Electric/acoustic
Encore Bass and Kustom KBA10 amplifier
Pod XT Live
Zoom 504II Acoustic
BOSS BR-600 Digital Recorder
Behringer Ultra Tone K900FX 90w Keyboard Amp

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Dec 21 2007, 10:28 PM
rosewood looks bit crummy and so does ebony (which they use for violin fingerboard as well!) maple looks the nicest tongue.gif although im sure there is something about rosewood thats better than maple (anyone know?) coz they use rosewood for shred guitars so it must have some connection,
but the favourite i ever played is my tc-90 it is glossy rosewood which is gd coz it has both maple feel whilst being rosewood smile.gif

+Quote Post
stratman33
Dec 21 2007, 11:39 PM
id go with maple, it's easier to slide and looks cooler IMO cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:52 AM