ESP [ 2 ] ** [3.23%]
Total Votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
fkalich
Nov 13 2007, 02:33 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 12 2007, 10:58 AM) *
Gibson for me and the reason why -

Take a look at any of the top end Gibson semi acoustics and factor in the quality of the woods used and workmanship. IMO it takes a good technician to build a good solid body guitar BUT semis and acoustics require real skill and it's here that Gibson really do excel of those in the list. I also think it's worth a mention that again on the semis and most of the high end solids that Gibson and PRS use nitrocellulose finishes where you can see the grain of the wood rather than cover the guitar in a polyuretane paint. If there are imperfections in the wood or the finishing it will stand out a mile. What you get with Gibson semi is not just a well put together guitar with quality electrics and other hardware but the skills learnt over many years in working with and shaping woods plus quality parts and finishing. So that to me means they win hands down for quality AND value for money.

Cheers,
Tony

My Gibson Les Paul 58 reissue. Perfection. They guarantee them for life, they have to be careful. I believe Ibanez gives one year in general. That says a lot.

Put it this way. Nearly all maple tops are 2 piece. Is mine? I have no idea. I cannot tell. Sometimes I think it is one piece, sometimes I think "it must be 2 piece, they just did it so perfect you can't tell". I just don't know. I would have to take off the pickups and look inside to tell I guess. I have looked so hard, with a magnifying glass, all angles.

i can set the action lower than the lowest shred level. it is amazing.

and a lot easier to make a guitar where you don't see what the wood looks like.

That being said, most of them make fine guitars, nothing wrong with any of the better brands. but in general, you get what you pay for.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 13 2007, 02:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 13 2007, 02:42 AM
Hahahaha ESP guitars. It appears that everyone here on GMC thinks you're a FAILURE!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 13 2007, 02:45 AM
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 12 2007, 08:42 PM) *
Hahahaha ESP guitars. It appears that everyone here on GMC thinks you're a FAILURE!

I don't. tongue.gif I own the Kirk Hammet Signature ESP.

I just voted for PRS because I think they are the best quility and overall best (except for Gibson or Fender) I just like them best. But I don't own one...YET! Its just that they are a bit expensive and i'm broke right now.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 13 2007, 04:02 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 12 2007, 07:45 PM) *
I don't. tongue.gif I own the Kirk Hammet Signature ESP.

I just voted for PRS because I think they are the best quility and overall best (except for Gibson or Fender) I just like them best. But I don't own one...YET! Its just that they are a bit expensive and i'm broke right now.

If I did not play a les paul, that would be my choice, PRS. And a strong argument can be made that the quality control of PRS is unsurpassed, and probably unequaled. Which was the topic of the thread.

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 13 2007, 04:16 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 12 2007, 10:02 PM) *
If I did not play a les paul, that would be my choice, PRS. And a strong argument can be made that the quality control of PRS is unsurpassed, and probably unequaled. Which was the topic of the thread.

I was just wondering about this poll. Are the replys coming from those who actually own these instruments, or from what we "think" is a "good" guitar? Just wondering. smile.gif

This post has been edited by lefty01: Nov 13 2007, 04:17 AM

+Quote Post
RobM
Nov 13 2007, 04:16 AM
I voted based on the basic question and said Gibson, even though I own an Ibanez I still feel like Gibson with all of their experience and the fact that so many professional guitar players play their intruments has everyone else beat when it comes down to quality of product.

Now as Dan said, if the question would have been quality and price I probably would have said Ibanez.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 13 2007, 04:23 AM
lol to be honest, I'm going by what Tonymiro said. also there seem to be a lot of folks with long-lasting gibsons so yeah. thats why I voted for them.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 13 2007, 05:16 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 12 2007, 09:16 PM) *
I was just wondering about this poll. Are the replys coming from those who actually own these instruments, or from what we "think" is a "good" guitar? Just wondering. smile.gif

Can't claim to have owned all the makes but I own several Gibsons including a semi I bought some 30 years ago. I owned a PRS but sold it and the second guitar I ever had was an Ibanez which has been on a long term loan to my best friend for many years. I've had Fenders and Jacksons loaned to me for months on end and have played a range of guitars by most of the manufacturers named whilst in recording studios. Similarly I've a fair few friends (yes I have friends all ye of little faith wink.gif ) with examples from all the manufacturers named and so have had some time to look them over. Schecter is the exception here which I've never played at all and tbh have rarely come across. That's a shame as all that I've heard about Schecter points to their being a quality brand.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 13 2007, 06:36 AM
As far as companies are concerned, I think that Ibanez and ESP blow Gibson away since they're constantly innovating and trying to meet the needs of their artists, while Gibson sits back and is so impressed with itself, has the same product offering year after year with only slight permutations.

Overall Quality, I'd give that to PRS. Gibson would be second, but PRS makes works of art.

Value: Ibanez, or Schecter, and to a lesser extent, ESP. All the mentioned brands (and the ESP Ltd. series) offer fantastic products at fractions of what competitors charge. The features and hardware you get on these machines pretty much dwarf their competitors. you might be able to put Jackson in here too. Gibson offers a lifetime warranty, sure, but you also pay for that warranty in the price. You'll have a hard time convincing me that a $1200 LP studio is better than an $800 ESP Ltd EC-1000 across any criteria.

Resale value: Gibson, in spades. No question. It seems like you don't lose much money in reselling these bad boys. Hold on to them long enough and you'll be able to get more.

Personally, I think Gibson and Fender are stuck in the past and stuck on themselves. Sure they came up with real winners of design, but they're not beyond incremental innovation.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 13 2007, 06:47 AM
I agree and think most do that the best built guitar ,when not counting price paid tongue.gif is Gibson and PRS.Honestly i think Paul Reed Smith is giving Gibson a run for there money.I mean they make some very sweet guitars built to perfection.I cant say which one is definatly better only i can say i would choose PRS over Gibson if i had my chioice

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Nov 13 2007, 06:57 AM
i was actually thinking of some private small cutom luthiers with 100000000000 dollar eachh lol anyway i think ibanez or prs i guess =/ duno why, just at the moment i guess lol

+Quote Post
NightFlight
Nov 13 2007, 07:02 AM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Nov 13 2007, 06:36 AM) *
As far as companies are concerned, I think that Ibanez and ESP blow Gibson away since they're constantly innovating and trying to meet the needs of their artists, while Gibson sits back and is so impressed with itself, has the same product offering year after year with only slight permutations.

Could it be that it's difficult for Gibson (and Fender) to improve on perfection? tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all it's students."

My Toys
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series
Boss GT-6 Processor
...and other stuff. :-)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 13 2007, 07:07 AM
Both Fender and Gibson have released innovative guitars within the last couple of years. Fender, for example, have the VG and Gibson , again for example, the Recording Les Paul.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 13 2007, 07:12 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 13 2007, 01:07 AM) *
Gibson , again for example, the Recording Les Paul.

And the Robot smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 13 2007, 10:36 AM
If you consider slapping the digital pickup w/ a preamp on a guitar they've been making for years, then I guess that counts (espeically considering Digi pickups were out for a while, as well as the Variax modeling guitar), but I'm talking more outside the box. The Gibson robot is kind of neat but I mean that's still not really going to "trickle down" to their lower end models. Materials, construction techniques, new body shapes and just getting out of their wheel house. Ibanez worked so close with Vai to make the JEM what it is, crazy frets and all. ESP goes to great lengths to make sure their artists are happy, George Lynch and Kirk Hammett's stories are testament of that. These models they develop with the artists then are released in somewhat watered down versions for the public to enjoy.

This post has been edited by Goliath: Nov 13 2007, 10:47 AM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 13 2007, 10:41 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 12 2007, 10:02 PM) *

PRS' are definitely amazing guitars. I want the Mark Tremonti model so bad.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 13 2007, 05:54 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Nov 13 2007, 03:36 AM) *
If you consider slapping the digital pickup w/ a preamp on a guitar they've been making for years,

Both the VG and the Gibson Recording are more than this and involve far more in the way of innovation - incremental or radical. All the companies named have artists models, including Gibson and Fender that involve the companies working closely with the artists involved. These collaborations always involve a degree of trickle down. Gibson and Fender have long been involved in using new and different materials and construction techniques in the construction of their guitars. However I agree that none of the companies named have produced a radically different guitar design for years - all are based to some extent on an existing model. For radical design innovation we really need to look towards the smaller companies and individual luthiers.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:55 PM