More Recording Woes, Maybe I ask too much?
Ctodd
Aug 8 2008, 12:48 AM
GMC:er
ok so here is my problem....

I want be able to play a guitarpro file from guitar pro...

while thats playing I want to record myself into Reaper, just my guitar (using a line6 toneport)

Problem: when I am playing a file in guitar pro, (or doing anything with my computer for that matter) I here Cracking and popping through my amp/headphones. This occurs even when I bypass the GearBox.

EDIT: It actually my sound through my amp actually pauses, with every note that is played in guitar pro...

Is my computer not fast enough to handle this?

Because as I understand it now. The Line6 hardware takes care of the processing, and just routes it to Reaper Why do I get cracking and popping when I play something on my computer?

Also on a similar note... when I use Headphones I can only get one side of them working (the Left side) when I plug them into the headphones port... They work normally for regular music listening, just not through the toneport, (I plug them into an adapter that makes it fit into the toneport)

Thanks,

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Aug 8 2008, 12:55 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2008, 01:16 AM
Instructor
For one, TOneport doesn't do any processing it lets CPU to do it. Toneport just routes teh signals.

Two: when does the problem with headphones occur? is it only when you listen to your guitar or any sound from the computer. Does the headphones work properly when plugged into other sources?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Aug 8 2008, 01:25 AM
The headphones work perfectly fine, when plugged into the computer, but when I plug into my amp, or the toneport, only one side works...

Like I said I use an adapter thing so it fits the amp and toneport, and I am not using this adapter when I plug in to the computer (it is not needed) so I am thinking its a problem with the adapter, but I have no other way of testing (is this a common problem with these adapters?)

Its the kind of adapter you normally use. I think I saw you with one of them in your Marshall amp tutorial, Ivan.

also I have tried two different sets of headphones, and the same problem occurs.

So I guess I need a different adapter...

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 8 2008, 01:39 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
If you are using 1/8" into 1/4" adapter, I had the same problem, don't know why though. I think the adapter is mono or something and only sends the signal to one side. Try this, pull the 1/8'' out about half way and see if you get sound to both sides. It may be a weaker signal but worked for me.... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Aug 8 2008, 01:59 AM
I tried your trick skennington, but it didnt work sad.gif I'll just have to go to radioshack or something to get a new one

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Aug 8 2008, 01:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 8 2008, 03:05 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Aug 7 2008, 08:59 PM) *
I tried your trick skennington, but it didnt work sad.gif I'll just have to go to radioshack or something to get a new one

Sorry man, tried.. If I were you, and if funds will allow, get yourself a set of HF's with 1/4" TRS out. This is a balanced connection.. smile.gif A decent set is not that expensive.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 8 2008, 02:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That cracking and popping comes from your computer not being able to handle it all..Try setting up buffer settings in gearbox hardware setup options...You may eliminate the popping than.

Regarding headphones (not being stereo as I understand), it must be the adapter you are using , buy a new one! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Aug 8 2008, 03:32 PM
yeah, I did mess around with the buffer settings... same problem, just a little less intense, but still not tolerable.

thanks though

-Chris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2008, 05:44 PM
Instructor
No problem mate, we're here to help. Tell us how it went with the new adapter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 8 2008, 08:07 PM
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Aug 8 2008, 04:32 PM) *
yeah, I did mess around with the buffer settings... same problem, just a little less intense, but still not tolerable.

thanks though

-Chris

What PC do you have ? Its because of CPU speed and RAM memory ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Aug 8 2008, 08:18 PM
I thought i had a fast PC

Dell CPU 2.66 GHz and 512 MB RAM

I think 512 MB its kinda low for PCs these days (never checked it until now)

I'll need to find out if my cpu has room to upgrade that...

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Aug 8 2008, 08:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 8 2008, 11:30 PM
Well 512 MB RAM is pretty low for today's standards...That CPU speed should be ok though for now (on the boundary)...If you can upgrade your RAM memory...Also I'm pretty sure that's why your having cracking problems with toneport...To test that maybe you want to take it to a friends computer and tryout there to see if its the same..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 8 2008, 11:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2008, 11:32 PM
Instructor
Yes definitely upgrade the RAM, crackling is probably due to lack of memory. I happens with toneport on RAM overload even on stronger machines.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 9 2008, 09:44 PM
I have AMD Athlon 2000+ (1.25 GHZ) and 1 GM RAM and use playing on Gearbox while having the guitar pro playing something and it doesen't crack...So it has to be due to lack of ram memory..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 19 2008, 08:34 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
One other possibility depending on GuitarPro...

If GuitarPro DOESN'T use ASIO but Reaper does then you will have problems as the PC will be trying to multi process audio to do very different sources. That could cause the issue you have.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 19 2008, 09:10 AM
Singing Instructor
I haw Intel core 2 duo on 2,67 and 2 gb of ram,and I had to play a bit with a buffer in the beginning too.
Try to update your asio drivers,install new ones,maybe it would work.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Aug 22 2008, 01:52 AM
One other possibility depending on GuitarPro...

If GuitarPro DOESN'T use ASIO but Reaper does then you will have problems as the PC will be trying to multi process audio to do very different sources. That could cause the issue you have.

Cheers,
Tony

Ok as it stands now,

In Gearbox (the effects and tone program) under the "ASIO" settings (what is ASIO by the way?) it says "ASIO client: (none)"
then it has settings for the buffer.

in GuitarPro

It loots like this, I tried fiddling around with the all the settings in there but I still get crackling and popping when I try to play along with a GP5 file when going through Gearbox, even when I bypass gear box I get this problem.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  GP5.bmp ( 3.75MB ) Number of downloads: 162

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 22 2008, 02:15 AM
Singing Instructor
Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) is a computer soundcard driver protocol for digital audio specified by Steinberg, providing a low-latency and high fidelity interface between a software application and a computer's sound card. Whereas Microsoft’s DirectSound is commonly used as a stereo input and output for non-professional users, ASIO allows musicians and sound engineers to process their audio via Windows' computer software instead of external hardware.
wikipedia

You should haw the installation disc for your interface,you should haw a toneport asio installation drivers.When you install them you should haw a choice to pick the toneport asio driver.
By the way did you disabled your old soundcard.It could be that you haw a chip(soundcard) in your motherboard,it is just a gues,but who knows.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 22 2008, 11:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Aug 22 2008, 02:52 AM) *
Ok as it stands now,

In Gearbox (the effects and tone program) under the "ASIO" settings (what is ASIO by the way?) it says "ASIO client: (none)"
then it has settings for the buffer.

ASIO is a version of a sound driver that it is commonly used today an industry sound protocol standard for audio production on PC. All audio interfaces for PC today work with ASIO standard.
In Gearbox, when you see "ASIO client: none" - that means that no application is using your card's ASIO driver. If you turn on your DAW like Cubase or Reaper, it will say "ASIO client: Cubase" or "ASIO client: Reaper" respectively.

in GuitarPro

It loots like this, I tried fiddling around with the all the settings in there but I still get crackling and popping when I try to play along with a GP5 file when going through Gearbox, even when I bypass gear box I get this problem.

You can't exactly play GP5 file and use a DAW at the same time, I think the Toneport cannot handle both apps at the same time. If you have another card in your computer, like integrated one, try to choose it in GP5 audio settings, so you leave Toneport for DAW use.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:04 PM