2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Do You Exercise?
SeeJay
May 17 2014, 05:36 AM
GMC:er
So my lady and I decided a few years back to start making babies. huh.gif huh.gif
And in preparation, she decided to start working out with a personal trainer. (Get herself in tip top shape)

When she got pregnant I decided to start with the personal trainer.

So 6 months later it has been one of the most rewarding experiences It's crazy to have physically pushed myself to a place my body has never been. One of the more interesting things I've discovered is how I would relate it to my guitar playing. Working out became like practicing the guitar. Supplements became finger exercises.

This week I learning I can do a headstand pushup. It's hard.

I was wondering anyone else work out or have some kind of regular exercise?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 17 2014, 06:39 AM
Learning Roadie
weight training 5 days a week, I'm much more disciplined in this than guitar practice, mainly because my wife works out hard too

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2014, 07:49 AM
Instructor
Well, I am a very active guy and I love physical activity combined with spiritual development, that's why I practice classical Japanese sword fencing 6 days a week - 2 training sessions in the dojo in which I learn new stuff and spar with my mates, while the other 4 days I am practicing alone at home.

I also lift weights - usually 4 training sessions/ week and walk almost all the time when I have to get here and there in town.

I love the idea of being able to do anything I need with my body and to have a resilient spirit and physique.

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 17 2014, 07:49 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
May 17 2014, 10:28 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
weight training, 3-4 sessions per week. Until a couple of years ago I done Judo and MMA but just the weights nowadays. I really need to get more cardio done, Ive let that side of things go since leaving the MMA.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Spock
May 17 2014, 12:19 PM
I was very dedicated up until about a year ago. I did cardio 6 days a week and weight training 5 days. Then I had my surgery, but even before that, I was on a regimen of pain killers - then after surgery I had to dry out from the pain killers.

Anyway, there is no better mental space to be than in a lifestyle of working out. Unfortunately I have not gotten myself back into the lifestyle yet. I still drink fresh made veggy juice daily, walk 2 to 3 miles 5 days a week on the treadmill - and this morning I had the grass cut before 7 a.m., but I am not in the place I want to be physically/mentally/spiritually - and it all boils down to a healthy based lifestyle.

On the bright side - I can always start back today, but it takes sort of a mental conditioning to fully emurse yourself and become that person you want to be.

I commend everyone that is actively working the lifestyle and I'll start back just as soon as I finish this half gallon of Red Stag. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2014, 02:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ May 17 2014, 09:28 AM) *
weight training, 3-4 sessions per week. Until a couple of years ago I done Judo and MMA but just the weights nowadays. I really need to get more cardio done, Ive let that side of things go since leaving the MMA.

One of my band mates is an MMA practitioner - bleez, why did you leave MMA?

+Quote Post
bleez
May 17 2014, 03:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 17 2014, 02:44 PM) *
One of my band mates is an MMA practitioner - bleez, why did you leave MMA?

basically, I picked up an injury and I couldnt get any explosive lateral movement. I would let it heal for a bit, go back to soon, injure it again.... and repeat smile.gif eventually I had to leave it for about a year without fighting, during which all the time I usually spent training MMA went into playing guitar. Although I could go back now I decided to stick with the guitar.
Its a tough old sport to keep on top of as a hobby. I still do some of the training and heavy bag work but nobody chokes me out anymore cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 17 2014, 04:51 PM
Do around 5-6 times a week with P90X workouts (but at the gym)!

Combines a variety of exercise techniques, including strength training, cardio, yoga, mixed martial arts, plyometrics, and stretching.

It's the only think which has actually transformed my body. Muscle confusion is said to prevent the body from adapting to exercises over time, resulting in continual improvement without plateau. You workout the muscles in targeted groups, 1-2 groups a day then abs, cardo or rest in-between, the exercise keeps changing on the body, therefore it doesn't just adapt to it and stop developing. The muscles themselves only actually develop during the resting stage.

I guess you could apply that to guitar training too - lots of people fall into a plateau, adapting to one technical and limiting themselves. When if they mixed it up, could realise that each different exercise also helps the others develop as well and quicker too. You'll surprise yourself when you come back to it, how much more easier it's become, specially if your trying things well above your current skill level. You don't get as stuck on something and just left giving up.

Diet is also important with exercising too thou, I guess that part is different? Perhaps it's how we feed our minds music - you must listen to rock/metal and avoid too much fatty pop music! Hahaha

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 17 2014, 04:54 PM

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 17 2014, 10:19 PM
Ah, now I get why you posted that picture of that shirt design and you saying it covered both your passions.

I'm totally with you on loving the idea of being physically confident. It's not necessarily looking good, but feeling strong.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 17 2014, 06:49 AM) *
Well, I am a very active guy and I love physical activity combined with spiritual development, that's why I practice classical Japanese sword fencing 6 days a week - 2 training sessions in the dojo in which I learn new stuff and spar with my mates, while the other 4 days I am practicing alone at home.

I also lift weights - usually 4 training sessions/ week and walk almost all the time when I have to get here and there in town.

I love the idea of being able to do anything I need with my body and to have a resilient spirit and physique.

Thought about trying P90x again. Started it a few times years ago, made it about 6 weeks. But I'm in a much stronger spot than I used to be. Looks like there's a new P90x or something.

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 17 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Do around 5-6 times a week with P90X workouts (but at the gym)!

Combines a variety of exercise techniques, including strength training, cardio, yoga, mixed martial arts, plyometrics, and stretching.

It's the only think which has actually transformed my body. Muscle confusion is said to prevent the body from adapting to exercises over time, resulting in continual improvement without plateau. You workout the muscles in targeted groups, 1-2 groups a day then abs, cardo or rest in-between, the exercise keeps changing on the body, therefore it doesn't just adapt to it and stop developing. The muscles themselves only actually develop during the resting stage.

I guess you could apply that to guitar training too - lots of people fall into a plateau, adapting to one technical and limiting themselves. When if they mixed it up, could realise that each different exercise also helps the others develop as well and quicker too. You'll surprise yourself when you come back to it, how much more easier it's become, specially if your trying things well above your current skill level. You don't get as stuck on something and just left giving up.

Diet is also important with exercising too thou, I guess that part is different? Perhaps it's how we feed our minds music - you must listen to rock/metal and avoid too much fatty pop music! Hahaha

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 18 2014, 11:16 AM
Instructor
Yeah mate, exactly wink.gif Being able to walk straight and have confidence is also influenced by your physique, but I've met people with such a huge self confidence that they were emanating a very strong presence without being particularly physically impressive.

But martial arts usually elevate our spirit and help us understand the beauty in life and in everything that surrounds us, so even if the self confidence is not something that is in some people's nature, it can be taught through various means.. music included wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ulrik
May 20 2014, 08:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sunday running 8.9 km in the rain, and then had to stop because of severe knee pain! Really sucks, just last year I ran a marathon, so it's really bad for my selfesteem to not be able to run 10K. mad.gif

On the plus side I did 25 dips with my body weight, and I think it's a new record. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2014, 07:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ulrik @ May 20 2014, 07:57 PM) *
Sunday running 8.9 km in the rain, and then had to stop because of severe knee pain! Really sucks, just last year I ran a marathon, so it's really bad for my selfesteem to not be able to run 10K. mad.gif

On the plus side I did 25 dips with my body weight, and I think it's a new record. smile.gif

What do you mean by 'dips', mate? smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 21 2014, 08:51 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm guessing parallel bar dips

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BWTriDip.html

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Spock
May 21 2014, 09:29 AM
I love walking outside, but I have had a few occasions when I ended up getting chased by dogs. So I purchased a child's aluminum baseball bat, just in case I couldn't get away from one - then, the thought came to me, of if I would really want to go through the motion of crushing a dogs face with a baseball bat? If it came down between me or the dog, yes, but, that idea still didn't make me feel comfortable. So, I got a concealed weapons permit, so I could legally carry a gun with me, but wearing the type of pants I wear when walking, there is no real secure place to carry a gun unless in the pocket which it just ends up banging back and forth against my leg - so of course, I couldn't shake the idea of it firing - shooting myself in the knee cap mid stride.

So - I got a treadmill - which I think is one the best purchases I have ever made. I like to walk very early in the morning, and even though I prefer to walk outside - at least with the treadmill, I don't have to worry about dogs, or rain or lightning, etc. And because walking on a treadmill is about the most boring thing anyone can do - I have found that I can walk at a maximum pace of 3.3 miles per hours, which is a good walk and be just under a "jog" and at that speed still be able to operate a PlayStation controller. So that helps me work through the boringness. I play a game of Madden Football every morning while on the treadmill.

Of course, when I was at the gym I couldn't do that, so I just wore headphones and jammed out on music watching the smoking-hot, sweaty women (discreetly as to not come across as a pervert of course).

But I got the idea for playstation on the treadmill from the gym. They had a "Cardio-Theater" which was a dark theater set up to play movies while you rode a stationary bicycle - so I thought it was a good idea.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 21 2014, 09:32 AM

+Quote Post
miguelbatalha
May 21 2014, 11:29 AM
Extremely isolated weight training everyday. My cardio is pushups, abs, sprints, ETC and/or walking or rollerskating with my girlfriend.

+Quote Post
Ulrik
May 21 2014, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 21 2014, 08:51 AM) *

Yes, that's it.

Also I recommend burpees with push ups, to get your pulse up. Try doing 15 in a row fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQA08SlJnM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention exercise is my job as a physiotherapist.
So I do a lot of instructions every week, and get to work out myself, especially stuff like this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U89TXvn8niE

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 21 2014, 04:05 PM
Learning Roadie
I've recently learnt to hate physios.

I went to the one in my gym as I have very tight muscles in my posterior chain, and it all stems from limited mobility in my ankles. The pain I endured as he worked the ligaments around my ankles was the most pain I've ever felt.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 21 2014, 04:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Nope, I don't exercise. :/

+Quote Post
Ulrik
May 21 2014, 04:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 21 2014, 04:05 PM) *
The pain I endured as he worked the ligaments around my ankles was the most pain I've ever felt.

Hopefully with a good result!

--------------------

+Quote Post
metalheadlady
May 21 2014, 08:37 PM
Lately I've been going running, i have an app on my iPod that incorporates running into a zombie apocalypse sort of story, so for me that's pretty cool since i usually have no motivation to work out for any amount of time. It's called Zombies, run! in case anyone wants to ownload it. it lost like $2, but i think it was worth it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:27 AM