Am I Potty To Worry About Pots?
Mike Seddon
Apr 29 2008, 07:20 PM
GMC:er
Guys,

You've all been wonderful in advicing me with my Les Paul Copy upgrade.

The Seymour Duncan Phat Cats are on there way to me.

So now I wonder whether I should worry about changing the pots?

I have 500ohm pots from when I bought the guitar some 20 years ago. Do pots need changing? Do they lose there ability to control volume and tone over time?

Also I get an audible click when I use the toggle switch (if I flick it when chaning quickly). New swicth needed or is that just a result of my existing pickups being low quality?

Thanks again guys, I plan to post up some stuff when she is rebuilt

Cheers
Mike

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 29 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I don't know those pickups, but if they are passive ones they should work fine with your pots. If they are active, EMG pickups for example use different pots, but you can still use those 500 ohm ones, they will not fade out the volume though, they will have more of a "switching off" effect, not as drastic as a switch, but definitely no smooth fading.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 29 2008, 09:06 PM
Changing your pots and selector switch to good quality pots will make a world of difference in your control of the tone and volume knobs. When I use import guitars as opposed to USA guitars the change in sound is much more drastic when I roll down the volume on USA guitars. I would say go for it, and change out the pots to new, good pots.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 29 2008, 09:09 PM
Instructor
i think after 20 years you have to change it .try to buy anothers with 500ohm or you can use the spray contact 60
to clean it from inside, and you can do a test by tester if they are working good or not.

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 10 2008, 06:24 AM

This post has been edited by FrankW: May 11 2008, 03:28 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:47 AM