Fave Drum Sound ?
Ben Higgins
Jul 13 2011, 10:52 AM
Instructor
Very self explanatory topic title here...

What's your favourite drum sound ?

I like really dry, boney, natural drum sounds like these:

Check out the tom sound on this, it's killer !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
JkB
Jul 13 2011, 11:26 AM
GMC:er
Sadly I don't pay that much attention to the drums when i listen to music. I know i should sad.gif
However I've always been impressed by the drums in this band, both for the sound and the playing smile.gif

I also like the drums in Periphery or Opeth but the rest of the time i just don't think that much about drums. I suppose i like a more dense sound. I don't like the durms that muchin the songs you posted

Oh and by the way, The Reign of Kindo kicks some serious ass they have a bunch of videos of the candyrat channel so check them out if you don't know them tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
zen
Jul 13 2011, 11:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I mostly take notice of drum sound when it really sucks.. Like it did on St Anger when my ears started to bleed with that sound and I got some utensils from the kitchen to replicate the sound.

I enjoy various types of sounds though right from old school classic kits to the new age sharper / tighter kits/ sounds.
I also enjoy listening to drums live more. That's when I really take notice coz every bass drum n snare sound really hits you tongue.gif

Here's a good live sound that I dont mind at all.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 13 2011, 01:08 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Well some of my favourites are Billy Cobham's sound from back in the 60s here. And more recentlt Steve Smith fromVital Transformtion/Vital Information here and Chad Wackerman (Allan Holdsworth) here.

Oh and another was Bill Bruford from when he was in UK here and a little later in his own band

All have very natural, organic sounds with good dynamics and the drum mixes sit very well in their respective bands. One thing you can here in the move from Cobham to Wackerman is how drums now are often more forward in a mix - to a point that in some instances they are too forward imho.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Jul 13 2011, 01:18 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 13 2011, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 13 2011, 01:08 PM) *
Well some of my favourites are Billy Cobham's sound from back in the 60s here. And more recentlt Steve Smith fromVital Transformtion/Vital Information here and Chad Wackerman (Allan Holdsworth) here.

Oh and another was Bill Bruford from when he was in UK here and a little later in his own band

All have very natural, organic sounds with good dynamics and the drum mixes sit very well in their respective bands. One thing you can here in the move from Cobham to Wackerman is how drums now are often more forward in a mix - to a point that in some instances they are too forward imho.

I'm loving that Billy Cobham clip... I've got his solo 'Crosswinds'.. I got it back when I was going through an adventerous music phase.. It's a bit jazzy for me but the drumming is excellent. Also, guys like these are real artists and know how to tune their kit.

Bill Bruford is also excellent.. love his playing on King Crimson's 'Red' album ! smile.gif

They've got that thumpy, 'wet' tom sound.. the drums on that Megadeth clip I posted remind me of a later, more 'metal' version of their kind of tone. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 13 2011, 03:03 PM
Cobham is a bit jazzy but also very versatile - as a kid I kind of grew up on 60s jazz so heard a lot of Cobham smile.gif .

Red's a great lp - Discipline is another great King Crimson and has Adrian Belew with Fripp on guitar as well (here's Bruford soloing Indiscipline form that lp). If you like Bruford Ben try and check out some his solo stuff like Beezlebub here (which I think was also on the Masterstrokes lp, One of a Perfect Pair and one of the old Gong lps).

Someone on the feedback comments to the the Indiscipline take mentions Tony Williams - he was another greta Drummer if you like fusion. Tony Williams' Lifetime were a great fusion band. Link that connects them all sis of course Allan Holdsworth.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 13 2011, 03:33 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 13 2011, 01:50 PM) *
... Also, guys like these are real artists and know how to tune their kit.

I think that's a really important factor.

Plus they were very well tracked and mixed, usually using very good analogue outboard and appropriate compressors. TBH one of the downsides with the modern DAWl age is that a lot of home/project studio drum mixes suffer as the micing used (both the actual mics and the positioning) isn't great and that is then compounded by poor use, quality and choice of compressor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2011, 03:46 PM
Instructor
I love Josh Freese playing and sound.. even more in this album..

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Jul 13 2011, 04:49 PM
Well I like
Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Dave Grohl (Them Crooked Vultures/Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf album)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment)
Danny Carey (Tool)
John Dolmayan (System of a Down)

And more biggrin.gif, but I don't really have any favorite drum sound, if I like the drums I listen to it, if I dislike it I wont, simple as that tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 13 2011, 06:48 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
George Kollias - especially the snare at the end, thats gotta be my favorite snare sound. It just cracks perfectly and has such a warm sound.

Hannes Grossman - I think this would be my most loved, its so versatile, sounds great in every application. Wish SSD had a Hanness Grossman kit. The way the pattern comes together after the solo at around 3:30 - Just love it.

Nicko McBrain - warm tone, lots of character and dynamic, this is what made me notice drumming for the first time.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 13 2011, 07:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This sound of drums has been my favorite for a long time now.
I love the overall sound and especially the snare drum.

Here is how it sounds :

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 13 2011, 10:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Favorite drum sound has to be on Metallica's Black album. Clear. Crisp. Enormous.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2011, 04:57 AM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 13 2011, 04:52 PM) *
Favorite drum sound has to be on Metallica's Black album. Clear. Crisp. Enormous.

A fine pull to be sure. I"d have to throw in HEARTWORK from Carcass. The youtube version sounds a bit crap though.

and Perhaps Ride the Lightening or Master of Puppets from Metallica as well. Again youtube version sounds a tad crappy. Honestly, most MP3s sound a bit crappy as well if you listen on Studio Quality Monitors. You'd be shocked what the music you love sounds like when you actually hear whats happening in the mix. But to do that, you need nice monitors/speakers, maybe a sub woofer, and an FLAC / AIFF / WAV sound file or (gasp) an actual CD.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 14 2011, 05:25 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 14 2011, 10:10 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 14 2011, 04:57 AM) *
... Again youtube version sounds a tad crappy. Honestly, most MP3s sound a bit crappy as well if you listen on Studio Quality Monitors. You'd be shocked what the music you love sounds like when you actually hear whats happening in the mix. But to do that, you need nice monitors/speakers, maybe a sub woofer, and an FLAC / AIFF / WAV sound file or (gasp) an actual CD.

Very true Todd though I'd go a little further and say all mp3s...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 14 2011, 10:11 AM
Instructor
Wow, some nice examples here....

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 13 2011, 10:52 PM) *

Yep, I was going to add that as an example but I had 2 already and didn't want to be greedy... cool.gif Excellent, excellent sound !

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 14 2011, 04:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JkB @ Jul 13 2011, 10:26 AM) *
Sadly I don't pay that much attention to the drums when i listen to music. I know i should sad.gif
However I've always been impressed by the drums in this band, both for the sound and the playing smile.gif

I also like the drums in Periphery or Opeth but the rest of the time i just don't think that much about drums. I suppose i like a more dense sound. I don't like the durms that muchin the songs you posted

Oh and by the way, The Reign of Kindo kicks some serious ass they have a bunch of videos of the candyrat channel so check them out if you don't know them tongue.gif

Periphery is all in all a killer band and Matt (their drummer) happens to be among my favorite drummers out there biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 15 2011, 04:08 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 14 2011, 11:47 AM) *
Periphery is all in all a killer band and Matt (their drummer) happens to be among my favorite drummers out there biggrin.gif

"...On drum we have Matt Halpern! The only man who can break three cymbals with one swing of the stick!"

God I love that laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:20 AM