How Has Covid19 Impacted Your Life?
Todd Simpson
Mar 20 2020, 09:42 PM
GMC:er
As the COVID19 virus makes it's way around the world, I keep hearing of more and more school/shop closures etc. Many places have cancelled just about any gathering of people and some have made gathering in even small crowds a crime. Here in the states, schools are closed, most are not having class until next fall and going online instead. All of California is on lockdown. Most folks are just staying home if they can. I wanted to ask..

UPDATE: Illinois and Connecticut have issued "Stay at Home" orders as of today.

HOW HAS CORONA VIRUS IMPACTED YOUR DAILY LIFE?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 20 2020, 09:46 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Mertay
Mar 20 2020, 10:27 PM
I live somewhere that can be described as sort of a suburb area. This week was all about preparation be it supplies (mostly food), fixing stuff at house that was avoided, vaccine'ing cats...Although normally preferring to stay at home, the idea of having to stay at home still feels uneasy to me.

So I posted to the FB group of neighbors living around, in 1-2 weeks here the weather will be warm and I could give them guitar lessons in their gardens smile.gif got good response, I urged them to get a guitar as soon as possible cause we don't know how long music stores will be open. I also shared friends/ex-students about online teaching but to be honest likely I'll not charge too much, its more about me spending time useful. Maybe I'll work on a single of a friend of mine we'll see...only thing I don't want to do is watch online movies/shows too much (can get depressing after a while)

I also realized will need some exercise since I won't be walking much, already my arms/legs feel different cause of sitting down too much. I normally walk a lot and now must compensate for that, not really sure how I'll get used to that.

We reached near 400 patients and 4 deaths, but people still are realizing the situation new here. I read specially the young still refuse to stay at home in Italy, this 2-3 month period will be a serous test for everyones psychology.

Finally, I have this weird feeling once the virus thing comes to an end it will have a very positive effect on society. Part of me believes maybe we as modern-humans needed such punishment...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 20 2020, 11:17 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
At the moment we're just not going out on an evening for meals. I'm still going to work, wife is doing daily shopping for neighbours that can't get out. That's about it at the moment.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 20 2020, 11:31 PM
That's much milder than what we are seeing here from the sound of it. Each one of our states is "shutting down" one by one it seems. Is there still toilet paper in grocery stores over there? I went yesterday to get some supplies and the entire tissue aisle was just empty. Also rationing is in place. Signs are posted on the soft drinks and cereal saying "ONLY TWO ITEMS FROM THIS SECTION PER VISIT".

Anyone else seeing shopping restrictions?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 20 2020, 06:17 PM) *
At the moment we're just not going out on an evening for meals. I'm still going to work, wife is doing daily shopping for neighbours that can't get out. That's about it at the moment.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 20 2020, 11:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
We're not seeing shopping restrictments yet as such, but they've put lines of tape on the floors indicating to keep distance in the mall.

It hasn't changed my daily life much, as I was literally just hanging around at home, playing guitar or games or trying to get my head in a good place.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 20 2020, 11:57 PM
Some folks really feel it's natures way of "culling the herd" as it were. It mostly impacts the aged and infirm it seems, in terms of mortality. There are a lot of older people on the planet. At the very least its important to try to find something positive to come out of all this. There has been so much suffering on a world wide scale that it would be tragic indeed if there were no upside to it at all.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 20 2020, 05:27 PM) *
I live somewhere that can be described as sort of a suburb area. This week was all about preparation be it supplies (mostly food), fixing stuff at house that was avoided, vaccine'ing cats...Although normally preferring to stay at home, the idea of having to stay at home still feels uneasy to me.

Finally, I have this weird feeling once the virus thing comes to an end it will have a very positive effect on society. Part of me believes maybe we as modern-humans needed such punishment...

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2020, 12:00 AM
Not too bad at the moment, just going to work and back not going out to pubs etc. This is now enforced.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 21 2020, 08:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 21 2020, 12:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
well..It hasn't other than going places I usually go and don't anymore which was not that often , I am pissed at the idiots that I have to wade thru at the store that have weeks of supplies in their cart. for the past few months I have sort of been working from home so nothing has changed there.. I feel in about a week we will start seeing declining numbers and I could be way wrong but I will cross that bridge

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 21 2020, 01:55 AM
All work ceased for me 10 days ago. I probably won't be working for several months.
My wife is working "remotely" (teacher).

My kid's gonna get a really long Easter vacation.

I have toilet paper and we're cool financially.

Obviously we're not "going out" anymore or having people over. That affects my wife more than me as she's super social.

I can still get my bike rides in.

The hoarding thing is a psychological fear reaction.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 21 2020, 01:58 AM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 21 2020, 03:56 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
We are to “stay at home” starting tomorrow at 5:00PM, here in Illinois. I don’t think we have as strict guidelines as some states. So far, it seems we will be able to walk outside with our dogs and maybe even go to parks with the social distancing standard. basically what most of us have been doing for the last week or so.

I’ve been working and will continue to work tomorrow on my usual day off to try and wrap up whatever I can. There is some gray area as to what is essential business so I may still continue to work. We are currently printing various Covid19 information for patients and guests at Midwest hospitals. They happen to be our biggest client so we may continue to operate for this reason. I work for a small company and as press operator I’m mostly isolated.

My Wife has been unemployed as of last week as she is in retail. We stand to loose some income but are all safe and sound. Just feel we have been a couple days behind of what we should be doing as a nation to control the spread of the virus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 21 2020, 05:22 AM
I think you are doing the right thing. I hate to think I'd be one of those young people sprint break doing their best to spread the virus around. I'm pretty sure Florida is going to end up being a hotbed of outbreak post spring break.

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 20 2020, 10:56 PM) *
We are to “stay at home” starting tomorrow at 5:00PM, here in Illinois. I don’t think we have as strict Just feel we have been a couple days behind of what we should be doing as a nation to control the spread of the virus.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 21 2020, 06:25 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Stacie and I are just hanging at home for the most part although today I went out and plowed some snow that has fallen over the last couple of days. The mayor of Anchorage issued an order today which basically amounts to a shelter in place order but it sounds a little loose as I didn't really hear of a threat of enforcement or hard and fast rules on what work is considered essential. I am expecting some eyeglasses soon that I need to pick up in Anchorage that I hope that I can have sent to me if I can't pick them up. Out here in the valley there have been no such orders and things are buisiness as usual for the most part but have slowed down a bit. Grocery stores have started limiting the amounts of items purchased on some things, mainly toilet paper, paper towels, and facial tissue like Kleenex but also for some food items. Also there are designated hours for elderly shoppers and those with certain health conditions that makes them vulnerable to the virus. Those hours are 7am to 9am which gives those folks first shot of the day for getting supplies. So far there are 9 cases of folks testing positive for the virus in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. All of them travel related. So again, mostly we are just staying at home and avoiding much contact with others, especially me because of my health issues. We are stocked up pretty well and just riding it out.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 21 2020, 12:55 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 21 2020, 04:22 AM) *
I think you are doing the right thing. I hate to think I'd be one of those young people sprint break doing their best to spread the virus around. I'm pretty sure Florida is going to end up being a hotbed of outbreak post spring break.

I really can't believe Flordia haven't closed their beaches. I have a feeling that our outbreak in Chicago was partially from the weekend of pre St Pattys day bar hopping. The bars were packed which led to all the restaurants and bars closing the next day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 21 2020, 08:22 PM
I was taken aback as well by Spring Break in Flordia going ahead as usual. It's going to result in a worsening of the outbreak more than likely. I was suprised Chicago didn't have the usual St pat parade to be honest as it's practically sacrilege not to have it smile.gif

Anyone else seeing changes in their local area?

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 21 2020, 07:55 AM) *
I really can't believe Flordia haven't closed their beaches. I have a feeling that our outbreak in Chicago was partially from the weekend of pre St Pattys day bar hopping. The bars were packed which led to all the restaurants and bars closing the next day.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 21 2020, 08:59 PM
What's crazy, the schools are shut and when you drive passed local parks, there are huge gatherings of kids, why aren't the parents keeping them in? FFS

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 21 2020, 09:02 PM
They're removing the benches in parks in Turkey.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 22 2020, 06:28 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Stacie and a neighbor went out for a few supplies yesterday and to pick up a prescription refill for me. She says there was no milk and a lot of the other dairy products were wiped out including most of the cheese. Canned soup and vegetables were pretty much cleaned out as well as things like like hot dogs, sausages and bacon and of course TP, PT's and facial tissue. She also had to wait about 25 minutes in line to get my meds but that was mainly due to one irate customer.

Edit: I just wanted to add that flour and sugar were also missing from the shelves.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 22 2020, 09:44 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 22 2020, 09:29 PM
GMC Founder
Sweden seems to be the only country in Europe that hasn't closed schools yet, but we have prepared for it.

Since I usually work from home this doesn't change that much for me, but my wife has started working from home as well. Also we have kept our kids home for almost two weeks since the recommendation is for us to avoid school if there is even the lightest hint of cold.

We also try to help our parents with grocery shopping. But it's not always easy since they are reluctant to change their habits...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 22 2020, 09:35 PM
It's not like me but today I have been so full of anxiety I haven't been able to pick up my guitar. I sent a worker home last week with a sore throat, I know that's not one of the main symptoms but after speaking to a friend (I've not had contact with her) who is actually in isolation with the virus, hers started with a sore throat that she ignored. She's feeling better now but I'm really anxious, my stomach feels like a washing machine, I know most people will get over it and I shouldn't really be so worried but I can't get the feeling of impending doom out of my head.

Stay safe people.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 22 2020, 10:55 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 22 2020, 08:35 PM) *

I read a lot of people are going through a psychological phase (even panic attacks) as these are the days we adjust to isolation, so I think how you are right now is very normal and will get better quickly

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:07 PM