2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gator Guitar Cases Anybody?
Headbanger
Feb 24 2014, 12:43 PM
GMC:er
Has anybody had any experience with these relatively cheap Universal Guitar cases from Gator? I have a Fender strat and two basses that need cases..My Les Paul already has a beauty fortunately.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 24 2014, 03:08 PM
Instructor
I had some of those in a shop I work at. All were good quality smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 24 2014, 03:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
A good friend of mine has Gator case and he is very satisfied. He don't have any problem with this case.

I also want to buy this stand from Gator because it's much cheap than other brands. I don't have much trust in that little stands for guitars because are unstable. I want something much solid to stay relax when I take a break and put my guitar there and also I need a space for my acoustic guitar wink.gif

http://magazinuldemuzica.ro/GATOR-GW-3X-ST...-B-_-43684.html

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 24 2014, 04:43 PM
They make high quality cases, especially for the price. The build is similar to SKB cases smile.gif
Many of them are air tight and will actually float as a bonus smile.gif

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 24 2014, 06:43 AM) *
ThHas anybody had any experience with these relatively cheap Universal Guitar cases from Gator? I have a Fender strat and two basses that need cases..My Les Paul already has a beauty fortunately.

+Quote Post
NPB1979
Feb 24 2014, 04:58 PM
SKB cases are better quality, but I find that my cases don't get beat up that much. I even used gig bags when playing gigs, so any hard case that won't fall apart from normal usage should do the job. You pay for what you get, but cases don't really need to "do" that much. Unless you're flying with it, or have roadies that pack vans with guitars on the bottom of the pile and drop/kick it like Ace Ventura down the hallway - you should be fine with a gator case.

--------------------
As me about my Michigan-based handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups. Est. 2010 - I wind more for hobby and not for profit. I do pickup winding, rewinding, and some vintage repair as well.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 24 2014, 05:16 PM
I use one of the SKBs with an LP (very protective). They also make them for strats etc. ... http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?c=75
You can find them for as low as $115.00 ... http://www.amazon.com/SKB-1SKB-66-Electric...words=skb+cases

*Not as hardcore as my A&S flight cases but I have flown with and 'checked' the SKB and it's always been fine.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 24 2014, 05:23 PM

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 24 2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone...very helpful. I actually ended up ordering one of these: http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_egitarrencase.htm
and two of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_ebasscase.htm
They seem to have good reviews and seem reasonably priced...I'll let you know! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Feb 24 2014, 08:26 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 26 2014, 10:34 AM
Instructor
Good thread smile.gif I need a case for my Yamaha acoustic guitar - do they make any?

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 26 2014, 04:22 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 26 2014, 10:34 AM) *
Good thread smile.gif I need a case for my Yamaha acoustic guitar - do they make any?

How about something like this?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_apx_case.htm

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 26 2014, 05:20 PM
Instructor
Let us know if it was a good purchase smile.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 26 2014, 05:30 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 26 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Yes I will...when I get them. I have to protect my guitars and basses well as we are moving house from Spain back to the UK this year as there is no work here for me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 27 2014, 09:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 26 2014, 03:22 PM) *
How about something like this?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_apx_case.htm

Thanks man - the price is surely attractive smile.gif At this point I have very raggedy case in which the guitar came when it was bought off eBay.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 3 2014, 06:58 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 26 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Well...Its day one...just got them and I have to say I am happy with the purchase. They seem sturdy and well made and each has its own lock and key. The instruments seem safe with the necks laying in a padded groove..They won't be moving about inside.There is also plenty of space to keep accessories like music or straps or even sandwiches and beer.. smile.gif I have owned Fender cases before and these seem to be almost equal, if my memory serves me correctly.For the value, I would recommend them to anyone wanting a relatively cheap hard case solution. For reference, I have taken a couple of pics with my guitars and basses inside...

My Fender Squier Precision bass in its Thomann case...
Attached Image

My Ibanez SR300 in its Thomann case...
Attached Image

My Fender Strat in its Thomann case...
Attached Image

My Les Paul in the case the came with the guitar (for interest)...
Attached Image

The cases stood on end....
Attached Image

Close up handle and lock of One of the Thomann cases..
Attached Image

Another close up of a Thomann....
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 4 2014, 02:03 AM
I've had an skb acoustic case forever and it's been solid as a rock smile.gif seen some serious abuse.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 26 2014, 04:34 AM) *

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 4 2014, 04:38 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 26 2014, 08:30 AM) *
Yes I will...when I get them. I have to protect my guitars and basses well as we are moving house from Spain back to the UK this year as there is no work here for me. smile.gif

Your moving from Spain?lol. I'm hoping to buy a place in Spain next year, and become an illegal immigrant. I absolutely love the motherland. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 4 2014, 09:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 4 2014, 01:03 AM) *
I've had an skb acoustic case forever and it's been solid as a rock smile.gif seen some serious abuse.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Something extremely funny happened after Saturday's acoustic gig. I was in the backstage and chatting with the guys in the other bands, having a beer and so on. The bassplayer in my band opened the guitar case and took my beloved Yamaha to fool around with it. The case remains empty... in the next 10 seconds, a drunk friend trips on the case, falls straight on it and bashes it into oblivion.

The whole backstage remained silent for about 3 seconds. I was VERY lucky smile.gif But now.. I REALLY NEED A NEW CASE laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Mar 4 2014, 09:42 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 4 2014, 11:20 AM
Instructor
Well well...nice collection Rod! smile.gif Hope Your experience with this brand will just confrim my words smile.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 4 2014, 03:38 PM
QUOTE (Palacios @ Mar 4 2014, 04:38 AM) *
Your moving from Spain?lol. I'm hoping to buy a place in Spain next year, and become an illegal immigrant. I absolutely love the motherland. smile.gif

Its a beautiful country here in Spain...No one could deny that. It has been very hard hit with the financial crisis for a number of years now and its impossible to get a job. I do quite a lot of illustration jobs to try and support my family and my wife makes jewellery....but alas it is not enough and it is time to move back to England and hopefully find work. I have an 11 year girl daughter and a 6 year old son....they need something more solid than we are offering them here...It means losing a lot of money, selling the house just to raise enough money to give us some support in the UK....but we have made that decision(and sold the house) and off we go very soon. I would also say that I miss my country and haven't returned once in eleven years...so thats a plus.... Its also the main place (apart from US) for Rock and Roll...ask Ben Higgins!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 4 2014, 11:20 AM) *
Well well...nice collection Rod! smile.gif Hope Your experience with this brand will just confrim my words smile.gif

Thanks Darius...I'm glad the girls have somewhere nice to live...I always felt they where a bit vulnerable hanging on a wall. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 5 2014, 09:18 AM
Instructor
I like how the guitars looks on the wall but...seems like my acoustic prefers the case. Even if the air is dry the guitar won't loose that much humidity through case smile.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 5 2014, 12:22 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2014, 09:18 AM) *
I like how the guitars looks on the wall but...seems like my acoustic prefers the case. Even if the air is dry the guitar won't loose that much humidity through case smile.gif

I agree...I've had mine on the wall for a while now and ever since you mentioned the humidity thing it made me think of cases. I also have my own fears that the necks might warp or headstocks might snap off one day whilst hanging.(Plus I'm moving country with the guitars) The other thing I like about a case...is the pure joy and excitement of opening it to reveal the instrument, as it remains hidden until I want to play it....they just look so damn good laying in a case!!!!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Mar 5 2014, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:03 AM