Use Epiphone Les Paul?, decision on condition
crazytrain101
Jan 6 2009, 11:21 AM
GMC:er
I was looking for some locally used epiphone les pauls and came across somebody selling one for $250. I emailed the guy and find out that the guitar fell and the neck had broke off and had been repaired. With the repaired neck will the guitar's performance go down and should i buy this? I told the guy to send me some pictures of the neck so i could see if there was any apparent damage.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 6 2009, 11:27 AM
I would never trust a guitar with a repaired neck. dry.gif Especially something like this with a set neck. Bolt on would be a different story. Keep looking, try the pawn shops.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 6 2009, 12:35 PM
I'd be leary of a busted neck guitar as well... Thats like a bent frame on a car.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 6 2009, 12:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
It must have been a extreme pro repair job to make it play and sound like before and such a job would have cost the guy more than the actual Epi Les Paul so I think he wouldn't had done it in the most professional way. It will prolly be a amatuer repair work and therefore I would not buy it for that price since it has a major damage. Get him below 150$ and you can do nothing wrong OR look for another Epiphone

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 6 2009, 02:49 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I would highly suggest you stay away. A repair job on a set neck guitar would have to be near perfect and probably quite expensive. What model Epi LP are you wanting. If you are not looking at an Elitist, I would recommend you take a look at the Agile's. Made in Korea and not China and the reviews are all for Agile against the Epi's.

I have the 2000 model which I think is a fantastic guitar for the money. I does have a Gibson 498t in the bridge which the 2000's come with ceramic p/up's. Once you get into the 2800's and above, they get really sweet! smile.gif

Oh, and did I mention you can pick a 2000 up new for under $200 ohmy.gif Here's a thread where we discussed a bit....Pic's of mine are in there

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...83&hl=Agile

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2009, 04:17 PM
Instructor
I would suggest not to buy it, it's a bad deal. He's definitely charging you a guitar+fix expense, so this is not worth it at all man. Better save the money and be patient, another opportunity will come.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 6 2009, 04:38 PM
Instructor
I agree, it's not a good deal. Breaking the neck it's the worst thing that can happend to the guitar; it's not that couldn't be fixed but it's hard to do it and you don't know if the guitar will sound like before the damage.
I can recommend the clinics of Dan Erlewine, in his videos he explains all the repairs that he performs usually in his shop and if I remember well a broken neck is not one that's on the video. So it must be really hard to solve that problem.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
crazytrain101
Jan 6 2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks everybody. I am not going to buy this but instead a agile al2000 with gold hardware and a floyd rose tremolo system, thanks to skennington biggrin.gif . I can't wait til this guitar is in my hands.

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 6 2009, 10:04 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Great man! I'm sure you will be pleased with it for the money. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:10 PM