I'm In The Market For A New Amp..., any suggestions?
Conrad Harpham
Jul 19 2010, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys
I'm currently in the market for a new amp for practising / gigging...ive got some ideas...
Must have high but smooth gain and a nice Kotzen ish tone! I'd love to hear your ideas!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 19 2010, 08:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
A little bit more input would help choosing...

-How much are you going/willing to spend?
-How many channels do you need?
-Do you want a Combo or a Head/cab solution?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jul 19 2010, 08:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
It could seem that everytime I give amp advice, its for a Laney Vh100R, but I cant really tell about amps I have not owned. smile.gif I use it a lot for metal, and for gilbert-ish tones, but it has a great clean, and great kotzen-like leads as well, as demonstrated by this guy:

It has a trick with the FX loop, allowing you to bring the 100 watt gigging monster down to bedroom level with great sound. The video above is recording at bedroom level volume!
Extremely versatile amp!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jul 19 2010, 08:48 PM

+Quote Post
Conrad Harpham
Jul 19 2010, 09:08 PM
more info...not sure really
at least 2, maybe 3 channels - dont mind combo or head / speaker, just must have an awesome tone at high gain, and high volume. Money doesnt really come into it, as i'm prepared to sell other gear for the right amp. I use line 6 at the moment and its been great, but just lacks a certain something live...
Solessness - like the tone of that Laney!
Thanks for your thoughts!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jul 19 2010, 09:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Conrad Harpham @ Jul 19 2010, 09:28 PM) *
Must have high but smooth gain and a nice Kotzen ish tone! I'd love to hear your ideas!

Hummm, take a look here :

http://www.cornfordamps.com/home.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 19 2010, 09:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
Marshall JVM 410 head with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab (your choice).

Marshall has build EVERY tone into this amp! I have had one and it's a monster!

4 channels, each with 3 totally diffrent voicings and gain stages= 12 diffrent channels from Fender Clean to Deathmetal Distortion.
They clean channel in the first mode is a Fender like clean tone and from there on it goes up in gain stages. There is every famous Marshall Amp sound included from ACDC to Guns and Roses and the two highgain channels pack more gain than you could ever need.

Make sure to try the Marshall JVM!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Conrad Harpham
Jul 19 2010, 09:38 PM
thanks for your thoughts guys
i'll check out your suggestions!

--------------------

+Quote Post
shatterd
Jul 19 2010, 10:17 PM
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 watt combo, 4 channels, plenty of gain, studio quality effects and a midi footboard to set up and store custom presets. Gig ready, sounds awesome, no pedals needed. Very well constructed...nothing cheap about this amp...stainless steel knobs, Eminence speaker, etc. They also make a 2x12 100 watt combo and 100 watt head. Just grab your guitar and Switchblade combo and head out to the gig.

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab

+Quote Post
Conrad Harpham
Jul 19 2010, 11:08 PM
cheers for that
i tried Hughes and Ketner about 10 years ago, and i liked that one - will try it out

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 19 2010, 11:59 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If money isn't an issue I'd go for a Cornford MK II - right on! And I hereby swear I will own one myself some day wink.gif

Or maybe a Marshall Vintage Modern or either of the 4xx or 2xx models from Marshall would help you get the tone.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 20 2010, 12:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
If money REALLY is no option there is the Bogner Shiva or the Diezel Vh-4. Almost ANY Record of ANY genre was recorded on one of those!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jul 20 2010, 12:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ah! x2 for Cornford MK II!

+Quote Post
Conrad Harpham
Jul 20 2010, 11:39 AM
thanks again for your thoughts guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Aug 8 2010, 12:41 PM
If I were you, I would try some orange amps, they have really recogniseable creamy, bluesy sound.
I can suggest you the rockerverb 100, two channel high gain amp with vintage flavour. One of the most awesome sounding stuffs I've ever tried.
And they have the OR 50, which has one channel. It's a much more vintage sounding amp, but it has balls man !

Have some happy shopping ! smile.gif
cheers

QUOTE (Conrad Harpham @ Jul 19 2010, 08:08 PM) *
more info...not sure really
at least 2, maybe 3 channels - dont mind combo or head / speaker, just must have an awesome tone at high gain, and high volume. Money doesnt really come into it, as i'm prepared to sell other gear for the right amp. I use line 6 at the moment and its been great, but just lacks a certain something live...
Solessness - like the tone of that Laney!
Thanks for your thoughts!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:35 PM