Kramer, what has happened since Gibson bought them
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 11 2007, 08:16 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
After Gibson bought the Kramer brand in the 90s what's happened to it? I know there have been Kramers under the Epiphone/Musicyo tag and also that Gary Kramer has set up under his own name but I'm curious as to whether or not Gibson have a done a high end/custom shop (ignoring the guitart duo in the Musicyo catalogue - yeuck) under the the Kramer name? Or is it the case that Gibson have let it slide and its down to Gary?

Cheers,
Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 11 2007, 01:25 PM
GMC:er
I've got to be honest, what originally drew me to click this thread was:

But I've actually been wondering the same thing, does anyone have any insight into this?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 11 2007, 04:18 PM

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Feb 21 2011, 03:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 12 2007, 12:17 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 11 2007, 09:16 AM) *
After Gibson bought the Kramer brand in the 90s what's happened to it? I know there have been Kramers under the Epiphone/Musicyo tag and also that Gary Kramer has set up under his own name but I'm curious as to whether or not Gibson have a done a high end/custom shop (ignoring the guitart duo in the Musicyo catalogue - yeuck) under the the Kramer name? Or is it the case that Gibson have let it slide and its down to Gary?

Cheers,
Tony

Excellent question, funnt since I though the exact same thing today when I was browsing aound in the music store and saw a headstock saying Kramer. That caught my attention but at a closer look I saw it was dented and worn, a used guitar in not so good shape sad.gif
I belive the Baretta reissue has some fans but maybe that's rockers from the 80's who sold the original baretta and once more picked up the guitar and wanted the same.

Anyway I can tell that the guitar is not anywhere around here in Sweden. Might be that the Kramer Brand was mismanaged and sunk into oblivion.

I think Fender is doing a way better job with Charvel - which once was on it's way to becoming a forgotten brand, like the story on Kramer.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 17 2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys,

just looks like Gibson have dropped the ball on this one then sadly dry.gif . Pity.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 19 2007, 12:28 AM
http://www.kramerguitars.com/

The website has been put on the net recently. Unfortunately I can only get the site to work properly in IE.

I've always wanted to try a Kramer, I think they look awesome. tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks Owen - looks like maybe Gibson have woken up finally smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

ps site worked ok for Firefox 2.0.0.6 but it was a bit slow to load

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 19 2007, 12:45 AM
They do look awesome ! But only 1 pickup ?

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 19 2007, 01:05 AM
Must just be Opera not liking it then!

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 19 2007, 12:45 AM) *
- John

Check out the Strikers!

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2007, 08:29 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 18 2007, 05:45 PM) *
- John

Well didn't a lot of 80s shredders just stay on the bridge p/u anyway? For that matter there's an awful lot of h=guitars around with only the bridge p/u biggrin.gif . Problem i have is I rather like the neck p/u though...
Cheers,
Tony

ps Strikers do look good to me as well Owen biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 20 2007, 05:06 AM
I might look into buying one at some point, at £125($250) you cant really go wrong:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...er+FR422SM/10/1

The reviews seem a bit mixed, but considering its got a coil tap and a liscenced floyd for that price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kra...itar?sku=515339

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Sep 20 2007, 05:15 AM
Im getting a usa Kramer Focus in a couple of months. vintage '87, mint condition, ORIGINAL floyd rose, 3 kill switches.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 25 2007, 07:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 19 2007, 01:45 AM) *
- John

PG in the pic on your signature only has one pu too biggrin.gif ...well, two actually but since it's a double neck that doesn'r count.

Anyway, 1 pu was popular during the 80's. Lots of metal players had em. For a shredder what more do you need than one pu and a volume knob? wink.gif

I have a feeling these 1 pu 1 volume knob guitars are on their way back.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:40 AM