Quick Licks #64 - Chromatic Descent
Todd Simpson
Jan 26 2019, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
This lick features a repeating riff with a chromatically descending lead note. I'm barring three strings but you can do it any way you like. Also, picking is dealers choice here. Alternate/Econ, depending on what works for you. Just make sure to pick each note.
You dont have to use the finger bar approach. You may need to do the finger roll as I'm doing in the video, but you are welcome to play this in any way that feels comfortable. It's a fairly complex lick as far as quick licks goes, but it's a very handy lick to be sure. Works in all kinds of contexts and works as a finger workout as well. smile.gif

Attached File  64.gp5 ( 1.76K ) Number of downloads: 4764

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This is a fun lick once you get in to it. It works anywhere on the neck as well. Start slow smile.gif

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 27 2019, 10:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 up for scrutiny Sarge wink.gif

https://youtu.be/be0JxcPVF0M

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 28 2019, 05:12 AM
Well done!! Very clean take and then some spiff improv!! This requires a 3 string traverse which can get tricky. The picking and hand synch is intentionally complex so as to require a bit of focus and a good bit of technique. Good news is that your technique is spot on!!! All of your work in Quick Licks and GMC in general is paying off! I hope you too can see the improvements. Nice!!
You just......
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 27 2019, 05:28 PM) *
Take 1 up for scrutiny Sarge wink.gif

https://youtu.be/be0JxcPVF0M

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 28 2019, 08:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Feb 4 2019, 04:59 PM
Learning Roadie

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Feb 4 2019, 05:01 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2019, 05:52 AM
There he is!!! Nice!! This one is a bit of a finger twister and you tear it up like crazy!! This one has a 3 string traverse in addition to having some chromatic descending bit on a single string. In this case, the high E. This one requires a good deal of finger articulation and you had plenty!!!!! This is a great lick for working on several aspects of technique at the same time. You didn't even break a sweat!!
SCORE!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!!
*You Remain our TOP DOG!!!! The HIGHEST RANKING GMCer EVER on Quick Licks!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Feb 4 2019, 11:59 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 7 2019, 05:53 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 22 2020, 04:47 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 29 2020, 12:52 AM
Wow! Very nice work here. You play it with precision and verve. You end up doing it faster than I did in the demo and don't miss a note. This requires a tricky finger move where you fret vertically on the fly hitting two strings with one finger. It's not an easy bit to play and you make it look very easy. This is a great take on this lick. You have it down cold. Well done!

You just ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2020, 11:47 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 21 2021, 12:48 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2021, 06:08 AM
Well done! This one is tricky for many reasons. Not the leas of which is the chromatic line on the high E, but also the fact that it takes place over three strings. It's similar in structure to a sweep pattern. However, it's done with alternate picking instead of sweeping. Then, there's that finger flattening bit that is required to play the notes that are on the same fret. That bit alone throws most people off. Not you!! Sorted.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 20 2021, 07:48 PM) *

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 21 2021, 02:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
This is a nice lick!

It reminded me of some exercises I used to do when I was a teenager from Michael Angelo's Speed kills book.

This is the fastest I can play it without chocking any notes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2021, 05:57 PM
Glad you dig it!! smile.gif It looks like you are doing great but all I can hear is the metronome? I can see your hands but I just can't reallly hear your guitar? Can you turn it up just a pinch?

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Feb 21 2021, 09:36 AM) *
This is a nice lick!

It reminded me of some exercises I used to do when I was a teenager from Michael Angelo's Speed kills book.

This is the fastest I can play it without chocking any notes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 21 2021, 06:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
I can't turn it up cause my guitar was unplugged tongue.gif

Didn't want to wake up anyone hehe

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 21 2021, 04:57 PM) *
Glad you dig it!! smile.gif It looks like you are doing great but all I can hear is the metronome? I can see your hands but I just can't reallly hear your guitar? Can you turn it up just a pinch?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2021, 06:48 PM
Ahh smile.gif No wonder I couldn't hear it very well smile.gif It's hard to hear an electric guitar when it's not plugged in. can you record direct? it's a quick lick so I don't need to hear the click track. Would that work? Or just put the cell phone closer to the amp and point the camera at you so it picks up and still gets you in the shot? it's a very spiff lick. One of my faves!! It looks like you are doing it perfect, but it sure would help to be able to hear it just a pinch? The tricky part is that finger bar near the end of it. It's a great lick to loop and work on alt picking!

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Feb 21 2021, 01:43 PM) *
I can't turn it up cause my guitar was unplugged tongue.gif

Didn't want to wake up anyone hehe

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 21 2021, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 21 2021, 08:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is a take with no metronome (oh the sacrilege!) and a clean amp. I hope you guys can hear every note on this take smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 21 2021, 05:48 PM) *
Ahh smile.gif No wonder I couldn't hear it very well smile.gif It's hard to hear an electric guitar when it's not plugged in. can you record direct? it's a quick lick so I don't need to hear the click track. Would that work? Or just put the cell phone closer to the amp and point the camera at you so it picks up and still gets you in the shot? it's a very spiff lick. One of my faves!! It looks like you are doing it perfect, but it sure would help to be able to hear it just a pinch? The tricky part is that finger bar near the end of it. It's a great lick to loop and work on alt picking!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2021, 08:44 AM
The metronome is only really needed in BOOTCAMP. This is QUICK LICKS so quick and dirty is just fine smile.gif Actually distortion would be more helpful on these typically than a metronome. But really these are meant to be quick so I just need to be able to hear it and see your hands. The good news is you got this!! It's a great alternate picking lick and traverses three strings so it requires a good bit of precision and there is that bit where you gotta to a finger roll to hit a couple of notes and you got it all!!! Well done.

I've sent you a PM with a question about your next badge.

Todd

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Feb 21 2021, 03:38 PM) *
Here is a take with no metronome (oh the sacrilege!) and a clean amp. I hope you guys can hear every note on this take smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:43 PM