> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Rock Essentials #2, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

JuanJovi
Feb 3 2019, 08:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Rock Essentials #2 by Darius Wave

I liked this piece due the dual duty or going back n forth between rhythm grind then a fill or riff... My take doesn't have as much gain as the original... I am having a difficult time getting higher gain that doesnt sound thin and buzzy through my current interface... Thanks for your time and taken a listen

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 4 2019, 10:14 AM
Instructor
Hey there Juan!

Actually I'm not using much gain as well but it's a fact your tone is almost clean. Main difference in our execution of this piece is that I rather strum than pick particular strings. This gives additional amount of gain. The trick for such a playing is heavy right hand strumming combined with perfeck muting job on the left hand side. You need to always cover/touch unwanted strings so they will not sound even if you occasionally hit them.

As for the tone and gain issues I generally advice to create a topic on this forum, where you would post every single detail of your current setup. There's plenty of good people to make your work out best of what you have. It's great thta you do not hide that fact and you shared it with your take. This way we can see how to help you and where to direct you further. Make the new tone topic and you'll see how much of great help you'll get smile.gif

As for what can be seen in this take is that mentioned strumming missing. It would makes this sound more solid more "together". With your current pickign method sometimes notes from the riffs split/separate in miliseconds and this is not what is expected to happen. Also strums would give more attack and gain, making all the stuff sound have more bite. These things are totally essential to get proper rock tone.

0:18. You need to respect each note ringing time. Don't take it of too early just because you think you need more time to shift the position. That one of the skills to workout as well smile.gif

When you do the G note E6 bend 1/4 step ornamnet, try to do it more lazy. You hit the 1/4 pitch too fast and it sound more like out of tune than the note being smoothly pushed out of it's range.

Bravo for noticing the exact time spot for pickup switching smile.gif Yes - I intend to do this exactly on the 4th beat smile.gif

1:09 - you need to rest your right palm on the low string while you play that lick. Othwerwise when you finally get ready with slightly more distorted tone, you'll notice how much low strings noise affect the high strings you play on.

1:14-1:15 - this lick needs some more wokr - it's second half is unclear - it's not the exact rhythm that should be there.

Final bend - be aware of overpitching the bend. You go too high with it. It sounds like you would have a lower gauge stings than you usually have and you rip them off too much smile.gif

Generally I can hear some potential in this take. I hope you plan to spend some more time after getting the feedback and I hope you will workout the tone as well. This could sound really well in your hand if you put more work. Remember - even the smallest details matter. There is no shourtcut and there is nothing to be proud of when spending less time on doing details. It's not a race. What counts is the final result and how much profit you "squeeze out" of the lesson. It's not important how much lesson you cover monthly or so. Writting this just in case smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 4 2019, 10:48 PM
GMC:er
As for your tone, as mentioned previously, make a new thread post about it and we will help you get to the tone of your dreams! Never forget that most tone does come from the fingers but it helps to have a good setup on ones rig as well smile.gif

As for this REC, I don't think i could add much to what has already been said. It' was one of the most complete reviews of a REC that I've ever seen and HUGE props darius on that. I find that I agree with him and think you can do this with just a bit more work!!
Todd
QUOTE (JuanJovi @ Feb 3 2019, 03:49 PM) *
Original lesson: Rock Essentials #2 by Darius Wave

I liked this piece due the dual duty or going back n forth between rhythm grind then a fill or riff... My take doesn't have as much gain as the original... I am having a difficult time getting higher gain that doesnt sound thin and buzzy through my current interface... Thanks for your time and taken a listen

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 6 2019, 01:31 PM
GMC Founder
Cool!

To me this lesson is all about working on an aggressive yet controlled right hand strumming movements - and this is also the key to nailing the tone, as Darius mentioned.

With this issue excepted, I think you are pretty well off. With better mixing levels (guitar is too loud), a bit tighter playing and the suggested right hand strumming - I think this will sound good.

Keep up the hard work you get a 5 from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 7 2019, 09:36 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:03 PM