Sweep Picking Turn-arounds
Nick6373
Jun 28 2015, 04:14 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, I was wondering about the most effective way to turn around, or start to go back down the arpeggio.
I've noticed when I get to the point I either pick to hard and then end up going up through the string then hitting it again on the way back down or not picking it hard enough.
Would it be more effective to start going back downwards on the top note?

for example\
e 13p17p13 ----------13h17
B ------------15-----15
G-----------------14 pick downwards on this note or still keep going upwards then pick downwards on the second 15 on B
D
A
E

Thanks so much everyone!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Nick6373: Jun 28 2015, 04:23 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Opetholic
Jun 28 2015, 10:52 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
This is a very good question. I would like to also hear the opinions of the instructors on this one. I myself prefer to pick that note upwards and go down on the B string. But that's because I find it very difficult to pick the note on G string down.. Let's see what others think smile.gif
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jun 28 2015, 03:14 AM) *
Hey guys, I was wondering about the most effective way to turn around, or start to go back down the arpeggio.
I've noticed when I get to the point I either pick to hard and then end up going up through the string then hitting it again on the way back down or not picking it hard enough.
Would it be more effective to start going back downwards on the top note?

for example\
e 13p17p13 ----------13h17
B ------------15-----15
G-----------------14 pick downwards on this note or still keep going upwards then pick downwards on the second 15 on B
D
A
E

Thanks so much everyone!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 28 2015, 11:14 AM
GMC Founder
I would use a downstroke on that note. (14th fret G string). However I rely heavily on hammer-ons when doing these kinds of arpeggios - so at high tempos I might not even pick/sweep the preceding note (15th fret b string) - and this gives me time to change picking direction. Let me know if it makes sense?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 28 2015, 02:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 28 2015, 11:14 AM) *
I would use a downstroke on that note. (14th fret G string). However I rely heavily on hammer-ons when doing these kinds of arpeggios - so at high tempos I might not even pick/sweep the preceding note (15th fret b string) - and this gives me time to change picking direction. Let me know if it makes sense?
It ends up being fifty-fifty on how to pick it,just cause it works for an instructor does not mean it will work for you. That being said , I would try to be able to practice picking both ways as well as a full legato lick with out any picking at all. It might take some extra time this way( up front) , but your hand will start gravitating towards one direction and you will find what works for you, rather than trying to match someone else,s playing style( you could spend years trying to train yourself for something it will never do).

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jun 28 2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah it makes sense Kris!
So you're saying hammering on everynote instead of picking would be a good idea jstcrsn?

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 29 2015, 12:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jun 28 2015, 08:02 PM) *
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah it makes sense Kris!
So you're saying hammering on everynote instead of picking would be a good idea jstcrsn?

yes , it would be a good skill to have. This lick fully legato is tricky do to the fact of having to mute all the extra things that can make noise. As far as picking it, practice both ways slow and perfect and I think before you know it , your fingers will gravitate to one way over the other , rather than trying to train them to do something they might not want to do. They might do both just the same and that would be good

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jun 29 2015, 02:05 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 28 2015, 11:43 PM) *
yes , it would be a good skill to have. This lick fully legato is tricky do to the fact of having to mute all the extra things that can make noise. As far as picking it, practice both ways slow and perfect and I think before you know it , your fingers will gravitate to one way over the other , rather than trying to train them to do something they might not want to do. They might do both just the same and that would be good

I'm actually getting pretty good at sweeping these 3 string shapes, not insane or anything, but sort of fast and pretty clean.
I can't do legato with them at all though xD, it's hard to get a loud enough sound using just hammer ons.

If you don't mind, any advice for sweeping shapes bigger then 3 strings? Because that's where I start to have trouble.
Thanks man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 29 2015, 05:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jun 28 2015, 10:05 PM) *
I'm actually getting pretty good at sweeping these 3 string shapes, not insane or anything, but sort of fast and pretty clean.
I can't do legato with them at all though xD, it's hard to get a loud enough sound using just hammer ons.

If you don't mind, any advice for sweeping shapes bigger then 3 strings? Because that's where I start to have trouble.
Thanks man smile.gif

There is not a big secret when playing Sweep Picking. If you know the right direction that you need to use on the licks and start the right hand movement from your wrist, you are on the right track. Then you need to practice a lot, using metronome. Repetitions is the key to get used and comfortable with this technique.

When playing the lower strings (4, 5 and 6) I also mute this strings a bit with the palm of my right hand. This helps to get a clearer sound and it it is also a safe way to avoid unwanted noises. Another thing that I noted on the masters when I was starting to work on this technique and imitated is a slightly circular movement done with the right hand when sweeping the strings. This trick makes the pick and hand sweep smoother. Check out some Jason Becker, Friedman and Malmsteen videos and notice this detail.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jun 29 2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks so much for the help everyone!
I'll look at their techniques, tahnks Gabriel.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 2 2015, 03:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's how I would play them:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jul 2 2015, 06:28 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 2 2015, 02:07 PM) *
Here's how I would play them:

Thanks Caelumamittendum, I really appreciate the video smile.gif!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 2 2015, 06:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
No problem, Nick. Thought it might be useful. I am by no means good at sweep picking however!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 2 2015, 06:45 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:19 AM