I've Finally Cleaned My Guitar !, With steel wool 0000.
Keilnoth
Oct 10 2009, 06:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
After more that 5 years of use, I decided to clean the fretboard of my guitar. Let's say it was really dirty. I am showing you the result. I must say I am really happy with it ! biggrin.gif

Before :

After :

The tool is that, Steel Wool Grade 0000 which cost about $5 :

Please note a few things if you wanna do that :

#1 protect the part where the fretboard join the body because the steel wool is not very nice with the body paint wink.gif
#2 if possible, remove the pickups or cover them, pickups = magnets, steel = magnetic tongue.gif
#3 better do that in your garage or outside because it makes a lot of dirt in your keyboard and on your desk smile.gif
#4 don't use anything else than grade 0000 steel wool...

Hope this help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
del-4fr53e3
Oct 10 2009, 07:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
That was a big difference! Must be good to have it done smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 10 2009, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow thats a massive difference 0)

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Oct 10 2009, 07:19 PM
GMC:er
And I thought I had a dirty guitar. biggrin.gif It's really a huge difference.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 10 2009, 07:26 PM
Perfect opportunity for me to inform of a product few are probably aware of called Gorgomyte. It not only polishes frets but the same treated cloth can be used to treat the wood of the fretboard getting rid of all the gunk in the process. There is absolutely no damage caused to the instrument and no need to mask up the guitar to protect the finish. It is a little expensive but I managed to polish, clean and treat all seven of my guitars with one cloth - you cut it up into equal sized portions and use more or less for a given guitar depending on the initial condition. The use of steel wool is the time honored favourite of luthiers everywhere but Gorgomyte is much more efficient and produces better results with less chance of ANY damage to your instrument. There are testimonials of luthiers who only use this product now once they tried it!

To put this in perspective, my guitars had been unused for five years. For at least a year of that they were sitting in a shipping container waiting to be transported to their destination as I moved continents (i.e. Australia to Europe). So you can imagine the condition they were in what with extreme changes in humidity and temperature. I can honestly say that for some guitars they have never looked or played as good even when brand new. The treatment of the fingerboard brings up the grain of the wood beautifully!

More information can be found at: http://www.gorgomyte.com/ but any good music store should be able to order for you.

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 10 2009, 08:19 PM
QUOTE (Neurologi @ Oct 10 2009, 07:26 PM) *
The use of steel wool is the time honored favourite of luthiers everywhere

True for some!!!
Personally I still prefer to use Lemon Oil, a Rag, Time and effort!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 10 2009, 08:22 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 10 2009, 10:19 PM) *
True for some!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I am sure next I need to do this won't as hard so I may go the cheaper option for sure next time! wink.gif

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 10 2009, 08:28 PM
QUOTE (Neurologi @ Oct 10 2009, 08:22 PM) *
I am sure next I need to do this won't as hard so I may go the cheaper option for sure next time! wink.gif

Exactly!!!

A little cleaning but more often!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 11 2009, 02:21 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 10 2009, 03:19 PM) *
True for some!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Same for me! smile.gif I also use a worn out super soft tooth brush to really get at the frets and all down into the saddles. Compressed air for all the cavities as well.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 11 2009, 12:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Good job man! I like the before and after pictures! smile.gif

For cleaning I use some sort of polishing cloth by fender in combination with Lemon Oil, Fastfret or plain water. Works well.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 11 2009, 08:04 PM
Instructor
Wow, some very useful tips here! smile.gif

Skenny, you opened my eyes man, I was doing the good ol' bang-it-with-the-wet-cloth approach for quite some time, instead of using some cheap soft toothbrush! laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 11 2009, 08:36 PM
Jazz Instructor
5 years??? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 11 2009, 09:03 PM
Instructor
Very impressive!
I'll take a bottle too! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Oct 11 2009, 10:31 PM
5 years without cleaning?. I can't stand not cleaning my guitar every week and you didn't clean it for 5 years?. I think that now I know who the crazy guy is. hahaha

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 11 2009, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
I very rarely clean my guitar's neck. Haven't cleaned the one I have now since I got it, which is about 1½ year. Same with other guitars. I might do it the next time I change strings though.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Oct 11 2009, 10:37 PM
It all depends on how old they are. I have bought some second hand. I was surprised to learn the other day that one was made somewhere between '77-'79. Funny though. That wasn't the one with the most tarnish on the frets. That prize goes to the Fender! smile.gif If you stay on top of it as Sensible Jones suggests ... we will all come out on top! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 12 2009, 06:47 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well, I haven't been playing much during the last 5 years. I played like mad during 2 years and then stopped during 2 years. I usually cleaned the neck with a wet cloth but as you can see, it's not really efficient. tongue.gif

But now I will clean my guitar every time I change the strings.

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Oct 12 2009, 07:05 AM
Instructor
I've never heard of it before but maybe I will also try it. I know it is much better to play on a clean guitar. smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 13 2009, 06:00 PM
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Oct 12 2009, 06:47 AM) *
But now I will clean my guitar every time I change the strings.

That's the best way!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:12 AM