3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
What Do You Do If You Cant Sleep ?
superize
Dec 10 2007, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
i used to have problem of sleeping but not so much anymore. when i do have problem i usually just lie in my talking to myself and trie to sleep and then after i while i fall asleep

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 10 2007, 12:38 PM
Instructor
it seems we need some meditation and relaxation lessons as well biggrin.gif

the problem appears when we don't follow the rhythm of the day, we should be the most active in morning and to calm down in the evening, but when we are unable to do so we have to find a way to relax before we go to bed. For example, one hour before going to bed to listen to some relaxing music, and basically to avoid anything that takes an effort smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 10 2007, 12:59 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Dejan @ Dec 10 2007, 11:38 AM) *
it seems we need some meditation and relaxation lessons as well biggrin.gif

the problem appears when we don't follow the rhythm of the day, we should be the most active in morning and to calm down in the evening, but when we are unable to do so we have to find a way to relax before we go to bed. For example, one hour before going to bed to listen to some relaxing music, and basically to avoid anything that takes an effort smile.gif

I totally agree with you Dejan. Yesterday I decided to spend a couple hours listening to "chill out" music before bed and my night was very restfull ! cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Dec 10 2007, 01:04 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Hey guys- (nice topic btw chast wink.gif, I'm really interested in sleep atm so excuse my long boring post )

I've been looking around the internet for quite a while now about different sleep techniques etc. And have been quite astounded by the wealth of information!

<unfortunatley i cant give specific links right now- as im at school and they seem to have blocked EVERYTHING but google and GMC>

Right so i've been reading on www.stevepavlina.com (i'll give a few specific links a little later wink.gif ) about how to become an early riser...and included here was alot of information that he considers important on how to get that good night's sleep and therefore get up as early as you like.

i reccomend you check this out, as this morning i got myself up out of bed quite happily at get this-

04:30 AM smile.gif .

I then got some exercise, played guitar, had a great breakfast, caught up with my French project and got to school on-time (i never usually do any of these things in the morning).

So together with what i read at his site- i've partnered that with a little of what i've found works best for me to come up with an unbeatable sleep pattern:

- Go to bed WHEN YOU'RE TIRED ONLY

(yes that means stare at a book, hopefully a theory book wink.gif , untill you feel you're gonna drop. As an alternative to this you cold browse around our forums a bit, but staring at a monitor for too long may screw around with your head, depending on who you are. Avoid activities like playing guitar right before bed sad.gif as this can get us quite involved- and often absorbing activities like this can just keep us awake and alert for longer).

- Tell yourself when to get up!

(This is something i found myself doing- keep telling yourself when you need to get up, convince yourself, and repeat it over and over again. Also tell yourself why you need to get up. "get up, 5 AM, do school work","get up, 5 AM, do school work".....

- Have the same wake up every day

(That alarm should be going off at the same time every day, that way you're body will eventually be beating your alarm to a wake up call! You need to practise getting up at the same time every day)

- Dont have a conversation with yourself!

(I always used to wake up, hit my alarm off and go back to sleep. Then i started waking up at my alarm, but convincing myself to back to sleep- The conversation would be like
"Its cold when i get out of my blankets, Its still dark outside, Noone else in the world is awake at this God-forsaken time!!! mad.gif "
Hopefully having convinced yourself the night before when and why to get up, you wont be having this conversation but you need to discipline yourself in the evenings to the point of where you ignore your morning advice you give yourself)

- Do whatever else you want to with your day, you now probably have alot more time!

- In the evening yet again- go to bed when your tired.

(However at Day 1, your probably going to get really sleep really fast. Try avoid having an afternoon nap as this will throw you off your sleep schedule. You'll find you're tired alot earlier than the night before so you might drop off sooner- this is your body trying to make up for lost sleep. However, you must still get up at that strict 5 AM <or whatever time you decided upon>).

I think that before considering how to get to sleep- you must set up a schedule to follow. Since starting this i've found that i'm gaining 2+ hours extra a day. thats 14 Hours a week. Over 56 hours a month. You get the picture. I'd also say that i'm more alert during classes and at work (im part time work, full time school).

Remember you DON'T need the same amount of sleep every night. As i mentioned above your body will tell you how much sleep you need depending on how hard your day was or how much/little sleep you had the night before.

Now to your question, how do i get to sleep-

I find that because i need to be both tired and relaxed; the best thing to do once i've decided to go to sleep is to listen to a hypnosis track on my mp3 player.
Most hypnosis tapes will start by relaxing you- otherwise you'll have a hard time getting into trance.
They also come in a range of topics- like recently i've needed to get over procratsination, so i chose:

"Chris Morrison - Procrastination to Motivation"

I think it is the best out there- when im awake during the day- it'll get me soooo deep in trance that i dont know which way is up! Also i've found that i'm wasting less time- so it must be doing what it says on the tin wink.gif.
I think that this combination of being very tired, and then being utterly relaxed is the ultimate way of getting to sleep. I find i'm out within 10 minutes, which is about how long the relaxation section of the mp3 is- so i'm not bred, no drifting thoughts....

But, if you think Hypnosis is a waste of time, or you dont have or intend on getting any hypnosis tracks- try listening to some relaxing music. No not the latest "Whale and dolphin sounds" album- we're musicians dammit! I like any baroque music for getting to sleep, also Andy Mckee and the softer side of Dream Theater seem to be on the agenda.

So i think that is my rant over biggrin.gif , I'll update a little later with a few links you may find useful.

Peace

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 10 2007, 01:22 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
omg that`d either keep me awake for days thinking about that or put me to sleep to straight away laugh.gif

nah seriously there is something in a lot of what your saying there, its weird how when something is pressing the next day where you simply have to get up and cant afford to oversleep etc you seem to be able to manage it no probs, as you say, in the mind you are telling yourself, "its got to be 6am I get up I really cant stay in bed after that" and always I get up no problem.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Dec 10 2007, 02:10 PM
GMC:er
Usually I'll just wait until I get tired enough, passing the time with a little nap. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 10 2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor
I just listen to my iPod until I get very tired and then I just put it away and fall asleep smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 11 2007, 02:02 AM
Once again I can't sleep. So I'm on here, and its not making me tired at all.

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 11 2007, 02:21 AM
QUOTE (chast @ Dec 9 2007, 07:05 PM) *
Hey GMC'ers

Since I dont fall asleep I'm wondering what do you guys do if you dont fall asleep ?
Usually I do nothing than resting in the bed and try to fall asleep but right now I am too awake to fall asleep wink.gif

I already read a bit before I went to bed but there is no sign of fatigue sad.gif
Right now it is 01:10 o'clock (1:10 pm ^^) and I want to sleep because I need to be awake for the upcoming math test tomorrow (its not the math test that keeps me awake wink.gif)

Greets Max

I'll spare you what I was going to write about my sleep problems and just write this:

On those nights when sleep just does not come I try to find a really boring show or movie(religion shows work best for me), then I take my medication and kind of half sit/lay down and watch the show with the light off. Eventually I do fall asleep. EWTN is a great channel in the US for this type of programming.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 11 2007, 02:28 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I really messed up my sleeping order wink.gif I usually watch tv and than go to bed..I can't fall asleep while watching tv smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 11 2007, 02:35 AM
Instructor
sleeping order?! blink.gif what's that? unsure.gif

i always have inspiration to work when sun goes down biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 11 2007, 02:38 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well for me it is - going to bed at normal time 12am 01 am , and getting up 9-10-11 am...Not like I do last couple of days - go to sleep at 4-5 am and get up ad 1-2 pm wink.gif Thats sleeping order wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
giuseppe
Dec 11 2007, 03:16 AM
i just think of what i did today what im gonna do until i fall asleep, also if you try to do homework you will fall alseep SOOOOOOOOOO fast

--------------------
-Giuseppe

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 11 2007, 09:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Dec 11 2007, 02:38 AM) *
Well for me it is - going to bed at normal time 12am 01 am , and getting up 9-10-11 am...Not like I do last couple of days - go to sleep at 4-5 am and get up ad 1-2 pm wink.gif Thats sleeping order wink.gif

No matter when I go to bed I have to wake up on working days at 8am blink.gif and I sometimes compensate it in afternoon biggrin.gif

We need 7 hours of sleep a night, but I read somwhere that if we sleep 5 hours during night, and take one hour nap in afternoon that it's enough unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2007, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Emmm play the guitar smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Dec 11 2007, 02:44 PM
Instructor
hehe, I sleep less than 6 hours a day, so when I go to the bed I am really tired so I have not problems smile.gif (I don't know if it's good or not tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
stratman33
Dec 12 2007, 02:00 AM
i normally have no problems sleeping, but if i cant, i just read.simple enough! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 12 2007, 03:40 AM
Oh yea, one more thing. Do not force yourself to sleep like laying in bed for hours. If you can't sleep. Do something productive with your time. Sooner or later, your body will collapse and you will have the best 12 hours of sleep.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Dec 13 2007, 08:31 AM
For me, it's either play guitar till I get tired, or meditate/self-hypnosis. Absolutely amazing stuff if done correctly, focusing on relaxing your body and mind is key to really good health. I may sound kinda fruity or something, but I used to ignore it until my Psychology teacher taught it to me.
Another thing to get you really tired is to concentrate and focus on something INTENSELY. I'd say now would be a good time to practice keeping your fingers close to the strings wink.gif

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Dec 13 2007, 08:35 AM
I havealot of problems trying to go to sleep sad.gif .I have stuff on my mind so much and most tmes i cant get myself to sleep until the sun comes up,but once im asleep i like to stay asleep along time smile.gif I basically just come on here at gmc,practice guitar or watch some tv when im stuck not being able to pass out.Thats actually what im doing right now tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:01 AM