Do-it-yourself Preamp
sammetal92
Apr 1 2013, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
Found this website called DIY Guitar Mods. As I was interested in preamps (because I just plug my guitar directly into my computer for recording purposes), I found this article:

http://www.diyguitarmods.com/guitar-preamp.php

The circuit looks pretty simple, the parts are available at every hardware store, except for maybe the transistor. That's a rare transistor I think.

But yeah, looks pretty straightforward, at least to me; I have a background with circuits and electronics.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here ever made their own preamp? If so, how does it sound?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Apr 1 2013, 04:19 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 1 2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah man, go for it! Definitely cheaper (and much more educational) than buying one.

A lot of guys like these too ...
Foreplay III from Bottlehead www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp.../foreplay3.htm
Magic 5 SE from Mapletree www.hollowstate.netfirms.com/magic5.htm
AE-3 from audioelectronicsupply www.audioelectronicsupply.com...d_num=AE-3_KIT

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Apr 1 2013, 04:32 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 1 2013, 03:27 PM) *
Yeah man, go for it! Definitely cheaper (and much more educational) than buying one.

A lot of guys like these too ...
Foreplay III from Bottlehead www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp.../foreplay3.htm
Magic 5 SE from Mapletree www.hollowstate.netfirms.com/magic5.htm
AE-3 from audioelectronicsupply www.audioelectronicsupply.com...d_num=AE-3_KIT

Yeah, I'll definitely try this on this weekend most probably smile.gif and thanks for the links, those are very interesting indeed! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 1 2013, 04:43 PM
There's a TON of DIY stuff/info/forums out there. If you have even just the most basic knowledge of how to read a schematic and a little soldering experience you can do this stuff. I recently modded a cheap Chinese RAT knock-off pedal. Super easy - worked the first time (amazing ... to me, lol!).

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Apr 1 2013, 04:51 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 1 2013, 03:43 PM) *
There's a TON of DIY stuff/info/forums out there. If you have even just the most basic knowledge of how to read a schematic and a little soldering experience you can do this stuff. I recently modded a cheap Chinese RAT knock-off pedal. Super easy - worked the first time (amazing ... to me, lol!).

We did loads of schematic reading and circuit making in a recent course at my uni laugh.gif so yeah, I have a bit of experience tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 2 2013, 09:08 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I don't have any experience with this sort of stuff, but it looks like it's worth to try! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 2 2013, 10:54 AM
Mine would most likely burn my house down.

+Quote Post
steenamaroo
Apr 2 2013, 01:46 PM
If you have a bit of background then sure, go for it!

Just get onto youtube and look for demos of these things before you build one.
There's any number of variations on the theme and some will sound better than others.

I don't have much background in this kind of thing but I built a little 9v transistor amp (partly by kit) and a treble booster from scratch.
All in I spent about £30 and it's getting a good bit of use lately. smile.gif

This post has been edited by steenamaroo: Apr 2 2013, 01:48 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2013, 01:51 PM
Instructor
The sama as Cosmin here. Nowadays I have been very close to a electric engineer that has been helping me repairing some of my pedals and he is like a genius for me. I'm helping him with marketing to work repairing and designing pedals, amps and many other amazing things. I don't know anything about electricity but I'm starting to learn. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Apr 2 2013, 04:53 PM
Now I'm definitely gonna try it soon biggrin.gif Gonna post some takes as soon as I'm done smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 3 2013, 08:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 2 2013, 12:51 PM) *
The sama as Cosmin here. Nowadays I have been very close to a electric engineer that has been helping me repairing some of my pedals and he is like a genius for me. I'm helping him with marketing to work repairing and designing pedals, amps and many other amazing things. I don't know anything about electricity but I'm starting to learn. smile.gif

I'm with you on this one man - I like to work with people who really know what they are doing, when it comes down to something I have no experience with and as yourself, I will provide my knowledge in a field as an exchange to their services. One hand washes another, as they say?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2013, 09:06 PM
You know how to build preamps? Thats pretty darn cool! Are you taking any orders? Can you record some that you've built?

Todd

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Apr 1 2013, 11:16 AM) *
Found this website called DIY Guitar Mods. As I was interested in preamps (because I just plug my guitar directly into my computer for recording purposes), I found this article:

http://www.diyguitarmods.com/guitar-preamp.php

The circuit looks pretty simple, the parts are available at every hardware store, except for maybe the transistor. That's a rare transistor I think.

But yeah, looks pretty straightforward, at least to me; I have a background with circuits and electronics.

What do you guys think? Has anyone here ever made their own preamp? If so, how does it sound?

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 23 2013, 12:33 PM
Sorry I totally forgot about this, as I was sooo busy with my college, but now since the semester ended and I'm on vacation, I'm definitely gonna try this out smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 12 2013, 08:06 PM) *
You know how to build preamps? Thats pretty darn cool! Are you taking any orders? Can you record some that you've built?

Todd

laugh.gif no I've never built preamps but I have what it takes to make some smile.gif I'll make this one and tell you how it turns out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:45 PM