5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
The Much Debated Digital Vs Analogue
Marcus Siepen
Aug 23 2012, 06:20 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
My attitude about this is very simple: I don't care at all if an amp is digital or analog, transistor or tube based, the only thing that matters to me is if I can get my sound. I am open for any new technique and I like checking out new gear, but as long as I can't get my sound with it, I am not interested. All my life I have been playing tube amps, they have been the only amps that delivered the tone that I was looking for, anything else was either lacking tone, power, warmth, gain... something was just not there. Like most guys in the 80's I started with Marshalls, I still have my good old JCM 800 somehwere. The amp was cool, but it didn't give me "my" tone yet, so in the early 90's I switched to Engl, I used an Engl Straight for some time, also a cool amp that got a bit closer to my sound, but it was still not the right one. Then, in 94 or 95, my search came to an end when I bought my first Tripple Rectifier, this was exactly MY amp and I finally got exactly the sound that I wanted, I had found "my" sound. I never stopped using my Tripple Rectos, and I guess I never will (there is no need to change when you have found what you were looking for), but still I check out other stuff as well. I had a couple of PODs, they were cool for recording at home, but they didn't give me my tone, I even tried playing a gig with a POD once, which was not satisfying at all, but well, I tried ;-) I used guitar rig at home, which was nice too, but also not anywhere near my Rectos, then I bought an Axe FX Ultra. This was the first unit that came close to my sound at least, I really liked it a lot and had it with me as a backup on the road (in case both of the Rectifiers that I normally have with me on tour shoud die ;-) ). Last year I bought an Axe FX 2, and guess what, I love it! It is the only device besides my Boogies that can give me my tone! I even played many shows with it over that last year (when we fly we don't take our full backline with us, it is way too heavy and therfore expensive to ship it across the globe) and I am perfectly happy with its sound. It is true of course, you can tweak yourself to death with this thing, but the good thing is: you don't have to! I geat great tones out of it without twisting everything. But well, in the end sound is something very personal, some people will love a device like the Axe FX, others will hate it, and that is perfectly ok. It is the same with guitars I guess, I love my Les Pauls, others love Strats, the next one wants a PRS or whatever... as long as we are all happy with our gear thats perfectly fine. I am just preparing a workshop kinda lesson for GMC dealing with exactly this topic: sounds and how to get them, and I will use the Axe FX for that workshop, I am already curious about your opinion.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 23 2012, 06:34 PM
Learning Roadie
I just found these soundclips and downloads from Ola Eugland of the Axe Fx Ultra

Are they useful Cosmin?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 24 2012, 07:55 AM
GMC:er
WELL SAID! And it's working because your tone RAWKS. The Boogie Triple is just a MONSTER and I"ve heard the Axe FX 2 get impressively close to it. Not to mention the Ultra 2 is smaller, lighter, easier to carry/gig etc. So having both is really a great idea.. But most of us would have to sell a kidney or two in order to get both, but we can dream!

THe only other thing I"ve heard to a really good job of tone matching is the KEMPER PROFILING AMP but it's much more limited than the Axe FX in terms of effects/routing/tweaking etc. But still a spiff unit.

Todd

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 23 2012, 01:20 PM) *
My attitude about this is very simple: I don't care at all if an amp is digital or analog, transistor or tube based, the only thing that matters to me is if I can get my sound. I am open for any new technique and I like checking out new gear, but as long as I can't get my sound with it, I am not interested. All my life I have been playing tube amps, they have been the only amps that delivered the tone that I was looking for, anything else was either lacking tone, power, warmth, gain... something was just not there. Like most guys in the 80's I started with Marshalls, I still have my good old JCM 800 somehwere. The amp was cool, but it didn't give me "my" tone yet, so in the early 90's I switched to Engl, I used an Engl Straight for some time, also a cool amp that got a bit closer to my sound, but it was still not the right one. Then, in 94 or 95, my search came to an end when I bought my first Tripple Rectifier, this was exactly MY amp and I finally got exactly the sound that I wanted, I had found "my" sound. I never stopped using my Tripple Rectos, and I guess I never will (there is no need to change when you have found what you were looking for), but still I check out other stuff as well. I had a couple of PODs, they were cool for recording at home, but they didn't give me my tone, I even tried playing a gig with a POD once, which was not satisfying at all, but well, I tried ;-) I used guitar rig at home, which was nice too, but also not anywhere near my Rectos, then I bought an Axe FX Ultra. This was the first unit that came close to my sound at least, I really liked it a lot and had it with me as a backup on the road (in case both of the Rectifiers that I normally have with me on tour shoud die ;-) ). Last year I bought an Axe FX 2, and guess what, I love it! It is the only device besides my Boogies that can give me my tone! I even played many shows with it over that last year (when we fly we don't take our full backline with us, it is way too heavy and therfore expensive to ship it across the globe) and I am perfectly happy with its sound. It is true of course, you can tweak yourself to death with this thing, but the good thing is: you don't have to! I geat great tones out of it without twisting everything. But well, in the end sound is something very personal, some people will love a device like the Axe FX, others will hate it, and that is perfectly ok. It is the same with guitars I guess, I love my Les Pauls, others love Strats, the next one wants a PRS or whatever... as long as we are all happy with our gear thats perfectly fine. I am just preparing a workshop kinda lesson for GMC dealing with exactly this topic: sounds and how to get them, and I will use the Axe FX for that workshop, I am already curious about your opinion.

It's just impossible to go wrong with a BIG MEAN MESA!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 22 2012, 02:17 AM) *
Nice! Very nice! biggrin.gif Thanks Todd, well, I'd go for the Mesa anytime as it fits my band playing characteristics better, in respect to what you have told us about the Orange, but none the less. After watching this:

...I feel like maybe it's nicer to have a different amp for a different job and as the Captain Planet cartoon saying went back in the day: 'Let their powers combine!' for a serious sonic stage kitchen tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 24 2012, 09:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 23 2012, 05:34 PM) *
I just found these soundclips and downloads from Ola Eugland of the Axe Fx Ultra

Are they useful Cosmin?

These sound nice man! This dude must've taken good time to understand and tweak the unit - congrats to him! I will download the presets and see if we can do something with them. Thank you mate biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 23 2012, 05:20 PM) *

Marcus smile.gif I totally agree with you mate - it's a matter of personal choice in the end. I am looking forward to the lesson! And I love the story behind your search for the personal tone smile.gif

I started this thread, because I knew it will trigger a lot of action wink.gif and lots of interesting and useful input from everyone here smile.gif

Thank you good sir! smile.gif

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 24 2012, 09:29 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 24 2012, 12:51 PM
@ Todd: Yeah, neither a Rectifier nor an Axe FX is really cheap, and I am perfectly aware of the fact that there are a lot of kids out there that just can't afford those amps, but thank god they are not the only good sounding amps, there are always options. I also heard a lot of good things about the Kemper, but I never had the chance to play one myself so far, I'd like to try it though.

@ Cosmin: I love this thread, it will for sure deliver a very interesting discussion with tons of arguments for both sides. As I said the choice of gear in general is something very personal, what I just don't understand is when somebody completely rejects something without giving it a chance, and I know quite a lot of people who would never touch anything but a tube amp, cause anything else HAS to be bad in their opinion... Well, in my opinion there is life beyond the classic combination of a Les Paul and a Marshall, but as I said, thats a personal decision ;-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 24 2012, 04:01 PM
MArcus , have you tried this lil ENgl Screamer?

I bet he's not serious enough for Blind Guardian gig, but for some rehearsing and recording?
I'm asking cos' i'm gonna buy it in some period..

I know a lot of guys here in Serbia who used Mesa Triple rectifier but at the end they sold it and got ENGL Powerball cos it just has more creamier sound...

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Aug 24 2012, 04:03 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 25 2012, 12:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 24 2012, 11:51 AM) *
@ Todd: Yeah, neither a Rectifier nor an Axe FX is really cheap, and I am perfectly aware of the fact that there are a lot of kids out there that just can't afford those amps, but thank god they are not the only good sounding amps, there are always options. I also heard a lot of good things about the Kemper, but I never had the chance to play one myself so far, I'd like to try it though.

@ Cosmin: I love this thread, it will for sure deliver a very interesting discussion with tons of arguments for both sides. As I said the choice of gear in general is something very personal, what I just don't understand is when somebody completely rejects something without giving it a chance, and I know quite a lot of people who would never touch anything but a tube amp, cause anything else HAS to be bad in their opinion... Well, in my opinion there is life beyond the classic combination of a Les Paul and a Marshall, but as I said, thats a personal decision ;-)

Well, I totally agree with you Marcus - always try before you buy, applies here as well smile.gif Try and then make a statement smile.gif

+Quote Post
ztevie
Aug 25 2012, 01:26 PM
I agree with Marcus. Everyone's taste is different, I've heard guys produce incredble tones with cheap transistor amps, and also heard bad tones from expensive tube gear. I guess it's true what they say, the tone is in the player more than anything else.

I love the Axe because I feel I can really get that tubey, organic tone I could get with a Marshall 100w top I used to have years ago, feeling is there, it's hard to describe in a better way. Could never get that close with all the Pod's I've used before. But not only can I get close to the MArshall tone, there are all these other amps inside the Axe that sounds really great. So for the price of one tube amp, I can have all those amps in my hand. For me, the tone is close enough, and when just playing and recording at home it's so much more convenient than using a big, loud amp which have to mic and everything.

Of course, it's not free, so I understand people hesitate putting in all that money in a single piece of gear...
To me, it was easily worth it, and I never smiled so much when playing as I do now... That's what it's all about, enjoy playing, no matter what gear you play thru!

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 25 2012, 01:54 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 23 2012, 01:20 PM) *
Then, in 94 or 95, my search came to an end when I bought my first Tripple Rectifier, this was exactly MY amp and I finally got exactly the sound that I wanted, I had found "my" sound. I never stopped using my Tripple Rectos

Is that what you used on "A Night At The Opera" ? I'm quite infatuated with the production and sound of that album smile.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Aug 25 2012, 08:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 24 2012, 07:51 AM) *

I agree, I love this thread, too! Extremely interesting & informative! smile.gif I hope it keeps going.

For me, of course, I am still in my baby steps & haven't even played on a tube amp yet. Right now I am happy playing thru my Pod Farm & TH1 amp modelers while I continue my search for the type of tone I like. I am sure I will get one of these low powered tube amps at some point like Carmine's Blackstar but I am also looking forward to Todd's video review of the Orange amp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 26 2012, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Hey Mr. Blister AKA Garry biggrin.gif Check this out: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=602611

It's Todd's review AND some good stuff about the cabs as well wink.gif Enjoy!

+Quote Post
Blister
Aug 27 2012, 01:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 26 2012, 06:39 AM) *
Hey Mr. Blister AKA Garry biggrin.gif Check this out: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=602611

It's Todd's review AND some good stuff about the cabs as well wink.gif Enjoy!

Thanks a lot, Cos! Yeah, I have been following Todd's thread quite closely (title mentions upcoming video review) & that's why I'm looking forward to the video review! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2012, 12:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Aug 27 2012, 12:27 AM) *
Thanks a lot, Cos! Yeah, I have been following Todd's thread quite closely (title mentions upcoming video review) & that's why I'm looking forward to the video review! smile.gif

I'd really like to hear some tones out of that little monster myself, so, let's stick around till' good ol' Todd is ready biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2012, 12:14 PM
I never tried the Engl Screamer, actually I also never heard anybody playing through this amp, so I can't really say anything about it. But in general Engl have some really good amps for sure, I like Powerballs and this Special Edition (I think it is called like that). If in the end you prefer an Engl over a Mesa Boogie is a matter of taste, both are good amps, and of course there are other great amps out there too, so the choice is all yours smile.gif
Concerning what we used on A night at the opera, our guitar sound is a mix of several amps, actually pretty much every good production today uses more than one amp to get the guitar tone of choise. In our case we always have several Boogies, several Engls, a couple of Marshalls, a Soldano, we have 2 Axe FX II's, we have Pods... a lot of gear to chose from wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2012, 12:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2012, 11:14 AM) *
I never tried the Engl Screamer, actually I also never heard anybody playing through this amp, so I can't really say anything about it. But in general Engl have some really good amps for sure, I like Powerballs and this Special Edition (I think it is called like that). If in the end you prefer an Engl over a Mesa Boogie is a matter of taste, both are good amps, and of course there are other great amps out there too, so the choice is all yours smile.gif
Concerning what we used on A night at the opera, our guitar sound is a mix of several amps, actually pretty much every good production today uses more than one amp to get the guitar tone of choise. In our case we always have several Boogies, several Engls, a couple of Marshalls, a Soldano, we have 2 Axe FX II's, we have Pods... a lot of gear to chose from wink.gif

Sounds like a table packed with goodies biggrin.gif Marcus, have you ever tried the Two Rock?

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2012, 12:49 PM
Actually I don't even know what the Two Rock is, please enlighten me wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2012, 12:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 27 2012, 11:49 AM) *
Actually I don't even know what the Two Rock is, please enlighten me wink.gif

It's a very special (out of what I understood) guitar amp, played by John Mayer. It's supposed to be very expensive but it sounds heavenly for the sort of guitar stuff that John Mayer plays. I thought that maybe you have had the opportunity to bump into one of these at some point.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2012, 01:02 PM
Nope, I haven't, but from how you describe it I would love to give it a try.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 27 2012, 04:10 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator

No idea on the price though.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 27 2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah, sometimes the price makes me NOT want to try something anymore wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:23 AM