F-spaced Evolution Humbuckers
tonyparnham
Oct 29 2009, 11:11 AM
GMC:er
Hi everyone,
I am intending to buy an Ibanez RG 2570 MZ guitar with the new trem system (Zero Point) and it has IBZ pickups on it, however I have read a couple of recommendations to perhaps upgrade the pickups so I was thinking in terms of the Evolution DP 158 and 159 which are on the 7v-wh Steve Vai and which I like the sound of.
I have just contacted 'thoman' and they have told me they are 'F- Spaced' I did'nt know what this meant and asked them to clarify and they said, these pickups have spacings other than a normal humbucker but are the same dimensions.... so presumably the strings will not be in line with the pole pieces.
Is this correct?
Can some one enlighten me on this I AM CONFUSED.
Regards Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by tonyparnham: Oct 29 2009, 11:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 29 2009, 01:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
The pole pieces of the humbucker are slightly wider apart for F-spaced buckers. It came about from the difference in string spacing between Gibson and Fender guitars - Gibsons had a smaller spacing then the Fender's. The use of Floyd Rose trems in the Fenders then lead to the term "F-spaced".
Generally, if your strings are spaced 53mm or more at the bridge, it's recommended to use a F-spaced humbucker so that the pole pieces are more aligned under the strings.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 29 2009, 02:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
F-spaced is for Fender or Floyd Rose spaced, meaning the pickups is wider than a standard pickup (53mm instead of 50). The string spacing on tremolo guitars is wider so you need an F spaced pickup to have the right alignment of polepieces under the strings.

Also F-spaced pickups are usually a bit flatter and have shorter mounting legs to fit under a tremolo guitar.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Oct 29 2009, 02:39 PM
I have DiMarzio Evolution F-Spaced pickups in my 2570 and they fit perfectly and sound GREAT.....many many levels above the stock IBZ.

And by the way the F-spaced thing is mostly cosmetic issue. But F-spaced pups are the ones for the 2570.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
tonyparnham
Oct 29 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input on this I understand perfectly now.
Regards and thanks again Tony.

Gilmore please check your pm box.
Regards Tony

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:54 PM