New Macbook Pro (downgrade?), (Not Bashing or Blinging here)
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2012, 01:36 AM
GMC:er
The more I learn about the new macbook pro the worse it sounds for music production. I've got a prev gen Macbook pro and it's been the best mobile platform I"ve ever used for music.

BEFORE WRITING ABOUT HOW THE PC PLATFORM IS XYZ.....Of course opinions vary WIDELY and every has a right to think whatever their experience had taught them. Some folks for example have had AMAZING experiences with the PC platform and that's perfectly valid as well.

For reference here is a link to a teardown of the new machine.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06...eitary_ssd.html

The problem with the new machine IMHO is that

1.)The ram is SOLDERED in. You CAN"T UPGRADE IT.
2.)The battery is GLUED IN not screwed in, so it might come loose when the machine gets hot under use.
3.)The pricey retina display is NO LONGER PROTECTED BY GLASS so any damage will require full replacement and the display is
the most pricey bit on the rig.
4.)NO FIREWIRE! No 800 or 400 FIREWIRE PORTS! "Thunderbolt" Only! Get ready to buy some adapters for your firewire drives/devices.

In short this is a "Netbook" now. And it's a sexy one! But it's no longer "AS" Viable a production platform. I"m glad I got one before the switch.

*NEW NEW TOWERS?:
There has not been a new Mac Tower in more than TWO YEARS as many think Apple is "Abandoning the Pro market" for mobile. At this point, the "Sweet Spot" for Price/Performance is actually the iMAC with i7 Processor and 8 GB ram. Where PRICE meets PERFORMANCE this is currently a wad of bang for the buck.

I have a mini, and I love it. But it doesn't have a wad of horsepower and creates a bit of lag for recording/mixing under heavy load with plugins. Not dissing the mini, it's fine for lots of stuff.

I have a Mac Tower. It's now slower than my iMAC 27 with i7 quad processor.

I have a macbook 13inch notebook. Thank goodness I bought before the NETBOOK version.

To sum up, I've put time in mixing/recording on just about every Mac in release for the past 5 years. In all that time I've seen the changes in the line. I was not a fan of the imac. I hate one piece units in general. harder to upgrade, limited in power. ETc. But as it stands the iMac is the machine I use now for everything. I have not turned on my TOWER in about a year.

The intro imac with i7 quad is the smaller of the two available, and runs about $2,000 U.S. when equiped with i7 and 8 GB ram.

Configuration
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Accessory Kit
$1,968.00

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

Attached Image
Attached Image

So for about 2k, you can get an imac with Garage band and run Reaper. Add any interface and phones or monitors and you are ready to roll. HOWEVER: For about half that you can get a PC tower with display and run reaper just the same.

So it may come down to price. Honestly the PC is a viable PRO platform. Using a Mac is something that comes down to preference and personal experience at some point. Many studios use Macs. But many use PCs. Just like "Which guitar is best", "which platform is best" isn't an entirely answerable question. Just like practice, it comes down to the player.

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 25 2012, 01:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
maharzan
Jun 25 2012, 02:40 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hmm, I also have the version before the retine display. Thanks for putting this up Todd. I so want to get an iMac but the power problems here doesn't let me. 27", that would be so cool!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2012, 04:19 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 24 2012, 09:40 PM) *
Hmm, I also have the version before the retine display. Thanks for putting this up Todd. I so want to get an iMac but the power problems here doesn't let me. 27", that would be so cool!!

Caveat Emptor is Apples new tagline smile.gif They have not been very vocal about getting rid of FIREWIRE and SOLDERING RAM, or not protecting the display. The good news is, if you have THUNDERBOLT connections on your current mac, there are wads of expansion/upgrades coming. You can buy a box, like a hard drive case, and put Video cards, Esata, pretty much anything in them. Hopefully these things can keep the current towers and laptops going for a while. I"ll be holding on to my 13 inch MBP for quite some time smile.gif

The imac 27 is a nice rig, but you can get a laptop with 8 GB ram on it (since you can't upgrade it later) and an i7 quad processor chip for about $2,000 u.s. and use an external monitor for more screen space. If the power issue is going to mean it's a laptop or nothing, just make sure you get as much ram as you want during the build out and DON"T GET THE 5200 RPM HARD DRIVE if you can avoid it. The 7200 is a better choice.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 25 2012, 04:45 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Yes, my MBP is more or less an air. I wish I had 8GB installed. I got 256 SSD which is very fast compared to the RPM SATA drive (if they call that). Its quad core i7 and this rawks!! The only drawback is I am using this from work to videos/photos 10 different apps opening at the same time. biggrin.gif So, the RAM is not enough at times (slows things down).

I am sure by the time I buy another one, the SSDs will be standard and we could get 1TB of it at cheaper price. Then it will be blazing fast with tonnes of space!! smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2012, 05:20 AM
GOOD POINT BY RAMMIKIN!

As GMCER RAMMKIN pointed out to, You can still get the OLD Macbook Pro WITHOUT Soldered ram. But these older Models are not limited to

-13 in screen (no more 17 inch or 15 inch model)
-No quad core i7 processor (max out with a dual core i5 which is workable but starting to age for a chip used in a new unit)

But even still, I'd say GET THE OLD ONE. At least you can upgrade the ram, have firewire, replace the battery once it stops holding a charge etc. The new one is very very very sexy, and sleek, and light. But...

-Soldered ram
-glued in battery
-no glass layer to protect pricey retina display

I as actually thinking about getting the new MBP as mine is starting to feel just a tad sluggish (i3 dual core) as the new ones are just not hitting me as Production platforms, and the old ones are stuck at Dual Core. I'm just gonna keep what I have.

Todd

QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 24 2012, 11:45 PM) *
Yes, my MBP is more or less an air. I wish I had 8GB installed. I got 256 SSD which is very fast compared to the RPM SATA drive (if they call that). Its quad core i7 and this rawks!! The only drawback is I am using this from work to videos/photos 10 different apps opening at the same time. biggrin.gif So, the RAM is not enough at times (slows things down).

I am sure by the time I buy another one, the SSDs will be standard and we could get 1TB of it at cheaper price. Then it will be blazing fast with tonnes of space!! smile.gif

You can always use External Drives (with USB, Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter, or buy thunderbolt drives) for extra storage as 256 might fill up quick.

The ram limitation really irks me as a Mac User. They charge a bit more for ram, well quite a bit more than you'd pay from a regular computer place and now you have to pony up for 16 GB of it during the build.

Don't get me wrong, these are crazy sexy laptops with massive cultural/client cache. Being able to pull one out at a client meeting seems to impress everyone at the table as I"ve already seen.

And your right. By next year, 1 TB SSD drives will be quite common. And since they are much faster than regular drives, using them as a Ram Cache/Swap will be a really viable option so the lack of onboard ram won't be as much of a factor.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 25 2012, 06:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Just an aside, USB 2.0 should be fine for recording - unless you're going to be mic-ing an entire band (which in practice, how many home recordiing people really do this? Most of what I read, you might double mic a guitar cab and perhaps mic a singer if you're going for an accoustic set, but I would suspect most people like myself will record tracks at a time, then go back and record more tracks to supplement. USB versus firewire really is a moot point, unless your AI really only supports fire-wire. But I agree that soldering components in place versus making hardware easily swappable seems to be a retro-approach in this day and age of replaceable parts.

I'm computer neutral btw - I just go PC for cost effectiveness.

There are people who swear by Firewire for other functionality you can read about here
http://gigaom.com/apple/firewire-vs-usb-which-is-faster/

But for us home recording studio noobs, USB ought to be just fine.

cjeers!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:57 AM