18 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 27 2014, 09:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Feb 27 2014, 07:20 AM) *
Hi Cosmin

Hopefully I will sort the triplet problem out tonight. I will send you over another recording to see what you thinkI am hoping to have everything finalised for the colllab tonight. Should of had it in earlier but kept changing what I had.I am actually really excited to see the finished collab. I have watched lots of other collabs and always thought I would love to take part. Now I am smile.gif
I feel my confidence is growing slowly but I am on the right track.

Possible stupid question laugh.gif What exactly is subdivisions. Is that whats happening in between the beats

Glad you decided to join mate smile.gif You know, it's always the first step that's the most difficult one smile.gif

Regarding the subdivisions - yeah, you could say it's what's going on between the beats biggrin.gif But, rhythmic subdivisions are actually measuring units of a time signature:

You can subdivide a time signature as follows:

1 whole note
2 half notes
4 quarter notes
8 8th notes
16 16th notes
32 32nd notes

and so on

In respect to what type you are using, the whole idea is to be able to play equal length notes over a beat - for instance, when you are playing triplets, you need to play 3 equal notes over each beat in a 4/4 time signature:

1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, 1 2 3 - just like in Ben's lesson smile.gif

Please let me know if this is clear, ok?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Feb 27 2014, 05:56 PM
GMC:er
All is perfectly clear Cosmin. I have listened back to my take multiple times and can see what you mean. When I play the triplets is feels as if I am rushing the 2 and 3 of it. I sat down with the metronome last night and tried to work on it. Hopefully I can get it sorted for my final take. I will practice some more with the metronome and then I will record it. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Feb 27 2014, 07:29 PM
Here is my take Cosmin. Am I still having the same problems with the triplets. When I play along with metronome at 80BPM I can feel the triplets are equally spaced much easier. But when it is at 100BPM I find it a lot harder to feel it.

I do understand what you mean but when I play at higher tempo I am just not to sure if I am playing it evenly.

If the triplets are still a problem I will go back record it again

Cheers

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 28 2014, 01:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Feb 27 2014, 06:29 PM) *
Here is my take Cosmin. Am I still having the same problems with the triplets. When I play along with metronome at 80BPM I can feel the triplets are equally spaced much easier. But when it is at 100BPM I find it a lot harder to feel it.

I do understand what you mean but when I play at higher tempo I am just not to sure if I am playing it evenly.

If the triplets are still a problem I will go back record it again

Cheers

Hey mate - it's good that you understand the principles and the mechanics! This is the last day for the take submission and I don't know if you could come up with something in this relatively short period of time (a few hours) which could top this one. The triplets are still shaky .. Don't worry, it's something which comes with a bit of time spent on it and a body that has acknowledged and assimilated the feeling of triplets.

If you want to get the triplet pulse better - you can practice against Ben's recording in the 'Picking hand basics' lesson and focus on the triplets. After some time you will probably become more aware of the evenness of the notes and start playing them as they should be smile.gif

Please send me a PM with the collab files, ok?

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 1 2014, 10:57 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 28 2014, 12:20 PM) *
Hey mate - it's good that you understand the principles and the mechanics! This is the last day for the take submission and I don't know if you could come up with something in this relatively short period of time (a few hours) which could top this one. The triplets are still shaky .. Don't worry, it's something which comes with a bit of time spent on it and a body that has acknowledged and assimilated the feeling of triplets.

If you want to get the triplet pulse better - you can practice against Ben's recording in the 'Picking hand basics' lesson and focus on the triplets. After some time you will probably become more aware of the evenness of the notes and start playing them as they should be smile.gif

Please send me a PM with the collab files, ok?

Hi Cosmin

Sorry I could not get the triplets sorted for the collab. Yeah I will focus on Ben's lesson and try and get a better feel for the triplet . I am still working on that and trying to sort out the 16th notes and want to be able to plat at the tempo Ben plays at. I should have a video up with Beginner Rock Rhythm this weekend. It will be good to let you see where I am at with it

I sent you a PM with the files smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 1 2014, 02:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 1 2014, 09:57 AM) *
Hi Cosmin

Sorry I could not get the triplets sorted for the collab. Yeah I will focus on Ben's lesson and try and get a better feel for the triplet . I am still working on that and trying to sort out the 16th notes and want to be able to plat at the tempo Ben plays at. I should have a video up with Beginner Rock Rhythm this weekend. It will be good to let you see where I am at with it

I sent you a PM with the files smile.gif

Alright man, no biggie smile.gif We'll let ambition and well spent practice time take care of those nasty triplets and 16th notes. It's a deal with the Rock Rhythm as well and I got the files wink.gif

If everything is cool with the Rock Rhythm, we can start experimenting with another lesson as well.

+Quote Post
fourniep
Mar 2 2014, 03:41 PM
Hi Cosmin !

- You are a beginner and you don't know where to start: No, playing for about 6 years. I'm 51. I've 2 years on classical guitar, a little bit of acoustic but i really like electric guitar. I know that i'm not learning as fast as a young 16 years old man but i practice a lot and i love it.

- You are stuck with a certain area of your playing. Yes i'm doin all the time the same thing.

- You don't use your practice time as efficiently as possible. This is my big problem.

- You feel lost because you have started practicing too many things at once and you are nowhere near your desired goal. Another big big problem.

* How long have you been playing the guitar? about 6 years

* What do you feel your current level is? in the beginning of intermediate

* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far? I know my fretboard, i know intervals on the fretboard, i can read tabs and sheet note. I know the pentatonic scale in A minor by heart and can find the others logically. I know some structures of Dorian mode but not by heart. I know the major scale but not practicing too much on that. I know a lot of chords.

* How much time/day can you spend practicing? 1 hour

* What are your favorite techniques? I love to play with my finger. Teacher here are oppose to that. I'd like to improve with picks.

* What would you like to improve? improve my practice time efficiently. Play on time. Improvise on other thing than pentatonic. I want to know triads on the fret board for all chords and string and a way to learn them. Improve my strumming. Playing faster on solo.

* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)? I'm playing most of the time at home. I'm playing with a liittle band once a week. They are my coworkers (2 guitrs and a signer). We dont have much experience. We have a teacher every 2 weeks for the band. I do not have studio experience but i'd like to record some tracks to have fun. We play some jazzy things like "Dream a little dream" "Stormy weather (just beginning to learn), we play some french stuff.

* What gear do you own? I have 4 electric guitars (I'M CRAZY). Traynor YCV40 amps. Boss loop station (never used). Green Rhino overdrive and MXR micro amp pedals.

* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing. I lke the black key because of they're riffs. Joe Bonamassa, Jonny Lang (they don't inspire my playing, not accessible for me, but l like what they're doing), Jack White. I like a lot of things for any kind. If it's good, it's good. I love good riffs like " in the style of BLACK KEYS that is on the GMC site.

If you can provide audio/ video materials of your playing, it would be very helpful. I don't have for the moment but i'll try to do something

Thank you Cosmin for taking the time to read and help me. It's really appreciate. I know my english is not really easy to read... Not writting often in this language.

Thanks
Best regards

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 3 2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Hey mate - I also got your PM smile.gif I will answer there or we can keep things here in the thread - how do you prefer?

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 3 2014, 05:51 PM
Hi Cosmin

A had a little break off playing guitar at the weekend. When I was younger I hurt my right hand and I never seen a doctor about it. I regret that now because I have a lump on my hand where I hurt it. It started to become uncomfortable playing guitar on Saturday and it was beginning to get more painful.Decided to put my guitar down from preventing it from getting any worse. I have also being doing a lot of workouts lately that probably have added to the pain.

I will get it checked out by a doctor to prevent anything more serious happening in the future

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 4 2014, 09:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 3 2014, 04:51 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

A had a little break off playing guitar at the weekend. When I was younger I hurt my right hand and I never seen a doctor about it. I regret that now because I have a lump on my hand where I hurt it. It started to become uncomfortable playing guitar on Saturday and it was beginning to get more painful.Decided to put my guitar down from preventing it from getting any worse. I have also being doing a lot of workouts lately that probably have added to the pain.

I will get it checked out by a doctor to prevent anything more serious happening in the future

Uh oh.. be careful mate. Don't waste yourself, because unfortunately we are nothing like lizards that can grow another tail, if they lose one smile.gif

Keep me updated and be careful with yourself.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 4 2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks mate.

Going to see a doctor. Most likely get sent to the hospital for a X-ray. A was practicing guitar last night and it was OK.At work when using tools I get sharp pains when I am having to use a bit of force with my hand.

Hopefully I can get something done with it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 5 2014, 12:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 4 2014, 07:34 PM) *
Thanks mate.

Going to see a doctor. Most likely get sent to the hospital for a X-ray. A was practicing guitar last night and it was OK.At work when using tools I get sharp pains when I am having to use a bit of force with my hand.

Hopefully I can get something done with it smile.gif

Seeing the doc is by far the best move possible here... You'll be ok, as long as you take care of yourself!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 6 2014, 10:30 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 5 2014, 11:15 AM) *
Seeing the doc is by far the best move possible here... You'll be ok, as long as you take care of yourself!

Hi Cosmin

Getting a doctors appointment in scotland is crazy. My appointment is 21st of March laugh.gif My hand is ok. It is not in pain but anytime I feel pain coming on a will give it a rest until the pain goes away.

I promise I will have the beginner rock rhythm lesson up this weekend. i am really looking forward to getting my next lesson of you I have so much motivation to play guitar right now. smile.gif

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 7 2014, 06:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 6 2014, 09:30 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

Getting a doctors appointment in scotland is crazy. My appointment is 21st of March laugh.gif My hand is ok. It is not in pain but anytime I feel pain coming on a will give it a rest until the pain goes away.

I promise I will have the beginner rock rhythm lesson up this weekend. i am really looking forward to getting my next lesson of you I have so much motivation to play guitar right now. smile.gif

Cheers Sean

Hey Sean - don't overwork yourself! Don't push it if you feel like it can hurt you on the long term. I mean, the lesson can wait until you are fit to play without stress smile.gif Keep this in mind wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 8 2014, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 7 2014, 05:32 PM) *
Hey Sean - don't overwork yourself! Don't push it if you feel like it can hurt you on the long term. I mean, the lesson can wait until you are fit to play without stress smile.gif Keep this in mind wink.gif

Cosmin

Thanks Cosmin. My hand feels completely fine over the last week and wasn't causing me any problems.

Well here is the lesson. I know I have got a long way to go with it but I feel that its good to practice recording as its giving me more experience and my confidence is growing and I can relax more.

I have listened to the recording a few times and can see lots of problems. Right from the start I messed the timing up. I think its a good thing that I realise where I am making mistakes but I feel that these are silly little things with hard practice isolating these problems they will start to disappear over the following months. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 9 2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor
Hey there mate smile.gif You are on the good path, don't worry wink.gif Please try to play along with the original recording or even record against it, to notice the differences. For instance, around 00:05 you play a note which is added by you and that note repeats itself each time in the tight beginning riff - that's why you have the feeling it's not right wink.gif Try to spot it and then please try my suggestion above, deal?

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 9 2014, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 9 2014, 06:46 AM) *
Hey there mate smile.gif You are on the good path, don't worry wink.gif Please try to play along with the original recording or even record against it, to notice the differences. For instance, around 00:05 you play a note which is added by you and that note repeats itself each time in the tight beginning riff - that's why you have the feeling it's not right wink.gif Try to spot it and then please try my suggestion above, deal?

Yeah no problem Cosmin I will try your suggestion and let you know how I got on. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 10 2014, 08:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 9 2014, 03:17 PM) *
Yeah no problem Cosmin I will try your suggestion and let you know how I got on. smile.gif

Hey mate wink.gif Please keep me posted!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 17 2014, 11:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Cosmin,

After my first REC take I started reading through the forum and found this thread. Reading this I realized that it might be wise to start practicing in a more structured way. So here some answers on your questions:

* How long have you been playing the guitar?
Since october 2009

* What do you feel your current level is?
Intermediate level

* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?
I know some scales and understand the structure of music. That lead playing can work very well if you analyze the underlying chords and use the notes from those chords. I know different techniques like (pre) bending, vibrato, hammer ons, pull offs, slides, palm muting, arpeggios.

* How much time/day can you spend practicing?
1 hour a day

* What are your favorite techniques?
Lead/solo playing with bending.

* What would you like to improve?
A bit more theoretical knowledge about scales and modes. Learn to improvise better and play more interesting lead lines.

* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)?
I played in two metal bands in 2012/2013. Currently I'm not playing in a band and not really searching for one either. I'm practicing and recording at home. I wrote a few songs, but I'm not satisfied with the result.

* What gear do you own?
Gibson Les Paul LPJ
Ibanez RGA72TQM
Cort Earth 70 NS
Blackstar HT5R
Memory boy analog delay
MXR GT-Overdrive
Shure PG57 microphone and recording/mixing software

* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing
Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest
Avenged Sevenfold
AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Slash
Carlos Santana, Gary Moore

Link to my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SparrowLesPaul

Link to my guitar covers:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0y4...2fURPXjuXbhZWfS

Link to my originals:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0y4...PqZidIYJD3JzumN

Link to my melodic guitar solo's:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0y4...NO_B4RXjtgLYzqo

Hope to hear from you! Thanks biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Mar 17 2014, 12:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 18 2014, 12:38 PM
Instructor
Howdy man!

I became acquainted with your playing along the way and now I know how things should go wink.gif

Since you already began with the 'Voice of your guitar' and you have 1 hr/ day, I would suggest the following - please let me know what steps out of these you have already taken so far smile.gif Aside from recording, of course wink.gif

- understand the theoretical concepts - as you said, it's important to know the relationship between chords and the notes played over them
- learn the lesson structure - you already did this
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - very important, as it will help your timing a lot!
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - respecting timing and phrasing smile.gif
- work your way up tempo with the available backing tracks

Day 1-5:

Apply the above mentioned steps for 'The voice of your guitar lesson' - you already know the structure, so right now you should focus on the details smile.gif

Day 6-7 - Revision (you practice the lesson, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play it) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! Recording - if you wish - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned out of this lesson should also help smile.gif

How does it sound to you mate?

Cosmin

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:09 AM