92 Les Paul Standard, Opinions or experiences?
AK Rich
Nov 28 2017, 10:29 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
So I ran across this LP on Craigslist and I was wondering what folks here thought of the LP's from this period. Any and all opinions and experiences are appreciated. Thanks!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/d/92-g...6398162373.html

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 28 2017, 10:40 PM
GMC:er
Can you find out the weight?
Nothing over 9 pounds (4 kg).

They're generally decent guitars.

*Will trade for AXE FX or nice snow machine laugh.gif ... Alaska.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 28 2017, 10:59 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 28 2017, 01:40 PM) *
Can you find out the weight?
Nothing over 9 pounds (4 kg).

They're generally decent guitars.

*Will trade for AXE FX or nice snow machine laugh.gif ... Alaska.

Hahaa yeah. The only thing I know about the weight so far is that it is heavy lol. I talked with the guy on the phone and he said he would be interested in my Orange 4x12 as a partial trade. I'll get some more pics and info on it later today.

Edit: Interestingly he said that it was not chambered although it is arch topped. I kind of thought all of the arch tops were semi hollow but I guess not?

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 28 2017, 11:04 PM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Nov 28 2017, 11:14 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Mine is from the mid-90's. I think it's great. Very nice workmanship. It's 8 pounds, definitely no chambers smile.gif. But that's a bit heavier than I'm used to, so I don't play it a lot. That, and the fact it looks so nice I can't see myself playing it as an every day guitar smile.gif.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 28 2017, 11:18 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Man that looks nice, Rammikin. smile.gif Thanks for the input! I am waiting for the serial # for the one I am looking at so I can run it by the folks at Gibson who have also confirmed to me that the 92 Standard was not chambered.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 29 2017, 01:46 AM
Standards, customs, deluxes all have an arched top/cap (maple over mahagony). No chambers unless specified.
Juniors and specials are the 'slab' body.

8 lbs is great.
Anything over 9.5 and I'd stay away.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 29 2017, 01:47 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 29 2017, 01:55 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 28 2017, 04:46 PM) *
Standards, customs, deluxes all have an arched top/cap (maple over mahagony). No chambers unless specified.
Juniors and specials are the 'slab' body.

8 lbs is great.
Anything over 9.5 and I'd stay away.

Right on, Thanks Ken. I am headed to the city to check it out. The numbers check out on it. So far so good.

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 29 2017, 07:42 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My LP Standard is a 1990. Ive owned it from new, gigged it plenty and its never let me down. I think it sounds and plays great. Not sure of the weight but it's literally my favourite guitar and I would happily be buried with it!
I'd have another one from the same year in a heartbeat biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 29 2017, 06:54 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 28 2017, 10:42 PM) *
My LP Standard is a 1990. Ive owned it from new, gigged it plenty and its never let me down. I think it sounds and plays great. Not sure of the weight but it's literally my favourite guitar and I would happily be buried with it!
I'd have another one from the same year in a heartbeat biggrin.gif

Right on Bleez, thanks for weighing in man. That seems to be the majority of opinions from everything I have read about LP's from that time period. One person even described the early 90's as the Second Golden Era of Les Paul's in a Gibson forum I was reading.

Be that as it may. The LP I looked at was beat to hell lol. Okay, maybe not quite that bad but close to it. I pretty much knew as soon as I picked it up that I wasn't going to give the guy anywhere near what he wanted for it. Maybe it was really nice at one time but that guitar looked thoroughly used up. Dents and chips all over the sides and back of it including some gouges in the back of the neck around the 12th fret. The face of it looked like it had been baking in the sun, the fretboard was really dry and the frets were as flat as Kansas. I didn't really even want to try to play it at first but I did anyway after initially handed it back to him. It had the highest action I had ever seen on a Les Paul but at least it did sound decent playing it straight into his Fender Bassman and all the electronics seemed to be functioning properly but it just wasn't what I was looking for and I felt no love for it while playing it. The photo I shared of it makes it look a lot better than it did when I was holding it in my hands.
Relicked is alright I guess but I want to be the guy doing the relicking. dry.gif
The hunt goes on!
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this topic. I appreciate it!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 29 2017, 09:15 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 30 2017, 02:43 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Ah man, that's too bad about the condition. It looked in real good shape from the picture. He mentioned in the ad it only has "minor" blemishes?

The top on my LP is very similar but its a Classic 60's from 2001. I believe it has a slightly thinner neck than the Standard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Nov 30 2017, 07:08 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 29 2017, 05:54 PM) *
Be that as it may. The LP I looked at was beat to hell lol.

Sometimes the hunt is half the fun, so enjoy the search. At least you still have your snow machine smile.gif.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 30 2017, 05:47 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 29 2017, 05:43 PM) *
Ah man, that's too bad about the condition. It looked in real good shape from the picture. He mentioned in the ad it only has "minor" blemishes?

The top on my LP is very similar but its a Classic 60's from 2001. I believe it has a slightly thinner neck than the Standard.

Yeah, in this case the pictures don't really tell the story I guess. Some of the "minor blemishes" were just that and there were many, but others, not so much. Especially the hits on the back of the neck. They were significant gouges around the 12th fret and it looked like it had taken a pretty good hit there. And it also looked like it may have been dropped from the dents on the underside near the input jack. But mainly it just seemed very very used. Someone played it A LOT as the frets looked really worn down and flat. I believe the guitar has changed hands at least twice over the years. Someone may like it but I don't think he will get what he is asking for it.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Nov 29 2017, 10:08 PM) *
Sometimes the hunt is half the fun, so enjoy the search. At least you still have your snow machine smile.gif.

You're right! The hunting is fun and sometimes you get to meet some cool people and hear some good stories on the way. I am going to keep looking for an older LP as I am not so sure that I want a newer one.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 30 2017, 06:18 PM
You mentioned that some of your wife's family lives here in L.A.
There are always lots of guitars for sale here ...
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/ms...&srchType=T
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guitars.g...+1088+1089+1090

Might be time to make that trip - ?

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 30 2017, 06:45 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 30 2017, 09:18 AM) *
You mentioned that some of your wife's family lives here in L.A.
There are always lots of guitars for sale here ...
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/ms...&srchType=T
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guitars.g...+1088+1089+1090

Might be time to make that trip - ?

Man that's a much better selection than what I am looking at up here. It's looking like we will be making that trip to LA sometime in the early spring. And since I am not in any hurry to find a LP, waiting till I get down there is something I have considered as I am sure I could find a better deal down there and score a really nice one. The problem is going to be in not letting myself get swept away in some kind of GAS shock. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:19 AM