Buckethead Has A New Guitar?, summer 2008 tour..
Scott Gentzen
Oct 12 2008, 06:40 PM
GMC:er
So I saw Buckethead last night. One thing I noticed right away is that he has a new Les Paul that I don't think I've seen in pictures except from this summer's tour that he's on.

Still a white Les Paul, but a little different. It looks like the same type of body....fat, and probably chambered and it looked slightly contoured on top instead of completely flat. It has the standard black headstock instead of the white headstock...so it's probably a totally new guitar instead of a mod of the old one. Gold toned hardware. Couldn't tell what the pickups were but it looked like someone tried to paint the nect pickup white. The two volume knobs are where they normally are on his old Les Paul, as are the pickup switch and the killswitch.

Now there's another killswitch button up by where a Les Paul would normally have its pickup select. He still mostly used the switch by the knobs like normal, but he did occasionally use the switch on top and as far as I could tell it didn't do anything different or sound any different.

My camera doesn't do well in low lighting and photo flash and fog machines don't mix. It'll be a while before I find some decent pictures to post but they'll end up here eventually:

http://flickr.com/photos/scottgentzen/sets...57607962159633/

The show was good but I'm not trying to write a concert review now. I was in a good spot, up front by the wah. Not fast enough when the bag of toys came out and didn't catch the rubber hand either though. I had a great time. The opening act, "That 1 Guy" (http://www.that1guy.com) was very odd, but interesting. They had a jam session together towards the end of Buckethead's set.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Oct 12 2008, 06:44 PM
ahhh wheres the kfc helmet

it does seem a lttle different, maybe they tweaked it for him?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Oct 12 2008, 06:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Oct 12 2008, 07:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
That dude is so weird!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 12 2008, 09:04 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Lucky you, how I wish I could see one of his concerts, but he doesn't seem to like to travel overseas often (Has he ever performed in Europe?)

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Oct 12 2008, 10:32 PM
I saw him recently and he used that guitar. amazing concert

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 13 2008, 12:49 AM
I was on the fence about buying tickets, I think I'm going to get them =)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 13 2008, 01:28 AM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Oct 12 2008, 01:44 PM) *
ahhh wheres the kfc helmet

it does seem a lttle different, maybe they tweaked it for him?

Yah, the bucket's new too. Looked clean. Actually, it looked plastic.

As for the tweak, I don't know. The pickups are changeable, obviously. There was a hole already where the Les Paul's pickup selector switch goes, on the old guitar that was just plugged, so it wouldn't be a big deal to do that change.

The headstock is what makes me think it might be a different guitar completely. I think that's a set neck and generally, people don't tend to get these necks replaced. Like the new Slash signature Les Paul...he broke the neck off, and had it repaired instead of replaced.

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Oct 12 2008, 07:49 PM) *
I was on the fence about buying tickets, I think I'm going to get them =)

Go for it. It was a fun show. Get there in time to see the opener, and make sure you're up in front for Buckethead. He comes with a bag of toys! Bucket Claus! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 13 2008, 06:38 PM
Instructor
I hope to read a review mate, it would be sure interesting to hear this performance..at least for a while.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 13 2008, 06:44 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great to hear you saw Buckethead and your info about his gear..I guess he installed another killswitch in other position to be able to do different things when using it (with right hand).Nice pictures !! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 13 2008, 06:52 PM
Lets go fishing!
My IDOL !!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I have been watching some of the new "Bucket database" videos for a while and saw he had a different Les Paul, still looks and sounds cool.............

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 14 2008, 03:42 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 13 2008, 01:44 PM) *
Great to hear you saw Buckethead and your info about his gear..I guess he installed another killswitch in other position to be able to do different things when using it (with right hand).Nice pictures !! smile.gif

I'll take a look at the other review and see if I can put something together.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:36 AM