Engl Amps
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 25 2007, 03:57 AM
GMC:er
Has anyone ever played one, or own one? If so how are they?

I was looking at this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Eng...EL34?sku=481498

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Oct 25 2007, 04:03 AM
Instructor
They seem to be very good amps, but $3,739.00 is way too much IMO!

For that money i am getting Diamond SpecOps Head+Cabinet used by Rusty Cooley. So, giving $3,739.00 for single head is not a smart choice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 25 2007, 04:06 AM
Well it has alot to it also, I was also looking at Daimond amps, I was thinking a Diamond cabinet with this if i got it. Or maybe a Hughes & Kettener or a Mesa.

I already have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 Silver Edition Head but I was just thinking about getting another amp.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 25 2007, 04:37 AM
Anyone else know anything about these?

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 25 2007, 04:59 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
ENGL's do sound beautiful, price always set me off of them though.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 25 2007, 06:58 AM
Hmm I really like this one though. I think I may buy it sometime.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 25 2007, 03:34 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think the SE would make a sweet life time lasting companion.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 25 2007, 07:09 PM
Instructor
Engl is great,no doubt about it.
Yeah,price is always an issue,looks like it has been made for players with 500 booking per year. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 25 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 25 2007, 07:49 PM
Instructor
Ok,to be more specific.
I played both Engl E670 EL34 and Mesa Road King.
Sort of same class amps and I liked Engl bit more. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Goliath
Oct 25 2007, 08:30 PM
The Engl Powerball E645 is about right on par with a Triple Rec, built in noise gate and 4 channels, 100w heads. I've noticed people who use the powerball typically become Engl cultists and don't play anything else, especially if you're into metal. I believe the reason folks like them so much is they are pretty much the polar opposite of the "Scooped" Marshall sound.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Oct 26 2007, 03:48 AM
I was looking at ENGL amps a bit ago.. actually also talked to them about stocking them over here in Canada and its a contract i heard i might be able to get.. anyways tongue.gif I was looking at the fireball and powerball. Both supurb amps.. and they look absoltuly stunning.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Oct 31 2007, 06:54 PM
Richie Blackmore has been using ENGL the last 10 or 15 years I think. He stoped using Marshalls because he thought they only sounded good when running at highest volume. In his oppinion ENGL has more character and sounds better at the lowest volumes. I haven´t tried them myself though, but I take his word for it, I like his style and sound. smile.gif

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Oct 31 2007, 08:00 PM
Instructor
Too expensive for me... but sounds so good. One of my friends play with (less expensive) ENGL and sounds really good... Well he plays DEATH METAL hehehe, so you can imagine how are the distortion tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Xethman
Dec 27 2007, 01:42 AM
Well the thread is a bit old, but I imagine that people are probably still interested in knowing more about these amps. I own only one of them, and have not played the others in the ENGL lineup. What I can say about mine (ENGL E670), and what you get for your money can be summarized as follows:

In a nutshell...

It's a tank of a head with superior build quality, great tones from super clean to super high gain, extremely well thought out design with more connectivity, management, and tone shaping options than any other amp I have seen. It is fully programmable, provides a variety of features and options that are not available on other amps, not the least of which is five discrete channels. Unlike nearly all other tube amps I have tried, this amp sounds good at low volume levels. It is a work of art to look at.

In my experience, many other good quality amps have come close to the E670 in one or more areas, but have been lacking in other areas. The E670 is the whole package. I honestly can't imagine ever selling it, and this is the first time I have ever said that about any of my equipment.

Cheers,

A.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 27 2007, 01:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
Engl cabs are horrible, way to much low end. I was thinking of a powerball as a new amp but i chose against it because you can always get a better amp for the money, regardless what engl amp you want. Don't get me wrong they are good amps, just not good enough for the money.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Xethman
Dec 27 2007, 02:18 AM
You are the first person I have found that doesn't like ENGL. No worries, to each his own as always. Though you did say that ENGLs have too much low end.

On that point I strongly disagree... the amp has as much or as little low end as you want. It really is quite that simple and excessive low end is not hardwired into the amp somehow. There are a few sound shaping options, that if used improperly would result in a very low and booming sound, but the manual addresses that quite clearly. A few of the sound shaping options were designed for specific purposes, and if you tested this amp and it was somehow set up wrong, I could see how you might be turned off.

Like I said before, I only own the E670 and have not tested the other models, so I can only speak about the E670. I recommend you try this amp yourself or listen to some sound samples on the internet.

I'm curious about the other amps that you said were better for the money. In the interest of keeping this objective (what one thinks is value for the money may differ from another person), I'd love to hear what amps are available that even offer the same feature set as the E670? I researched for quite a while before deciding on the E670. I personally found no other amp that was comparable, but I'm very open minded to hearing about what you know.

Cheers,

A.

+Quote Post
Xethman
Dec 27 2007, 02:28 AM
My apologies.... you did say CABS. I'm stupid blink.gif

I can't say much about the cabs yet as I will be getting mine in about a week. Here is what I can share though...

Apparently the ENGL cabs that come with the 4 x 12 CelestionÆ V60s are not very well received. On the other hand, reports from users that have the XXL or vintage 30 models have been extremely good... to the point of saying that those cabs step up the quality of the sound to even another level.

These things are ALWAYS so subjective but I can make a few comments in a few weeks after I have tested them.

I'll be using the ENGL PRO 4 x12 CelestionÆ Vintage 30, and PRO 2 x12 CelestionÆ Vintage 30 and I'll be comparing them against what I currently have... a Marshall 1960b and a Behringer BG412S.

A.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:11 PM