2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Best Recording Device For Beginners, i know nothing about recording
slash85
Apr 9 2008, 10:08 AM
GMC:er
gday mates....

i been playing guitar for a few years now but im completely new to this recording stuff.............i always get stuck with new riffs licks n solos i create in my head or on my guitar but they go by the way side coz i forget em.......so i wanna put a stop to this n start recording n saving the stuff i create...............i also wanna a device built in so that i can play the riffs for example record em then play em back so i can solo over em..........what do u pros reckon i should get im sick of losing this cool stuff i been creating...cheers for any advice

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 9 2008, 10:23 AM
Instructor
Easiest way to keep track of (atleast for me) what you record is to get a good soundcard, some good programs and record to computer.
I use Cubase, but thats quite expensive. There's cheaper software like Reaper that will do the trick.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 9 2008, 10:31 AM
Instructor
creative sound card and big ram and cpu and HD for the PC . studio programs software like sonar or cubase or the easiest cakewalk pro 9 .and preamp or tonport

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 9 2008, 11:50 AM
I'd go for a Line 6 Toneport and a cheap recording program like Reaper. This is a great way for beginners to start out.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Apr 9 2008, 12:13 PM
Instructor
If you just wanna save your ideas and riffs, I would definitely recommend this cheap version of toneport:

http://www.thomann.de/fi/line6_toneport_gx.htm

It's got good enough sounds to record your ideas and stuff, and as for the software, I would definitely recommend Reaper, check the free demo from their website smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 9 2008, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Apr 9 2008, 01:13 PM) *
If you just wanna save your ideas and riffs, I would definitely recommend this cheap version of toneport:

http://www.thomann.de/fi/line6_toneport_gx.htm

It's got good enough sounds to record your ideas and stuff, and as for the software, I would definitely recommend Reaper, check the free demo from their website smile.gif

This is what i use and it works great

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 9 2008, 12:36 PM
whats this reaper software about...........do u like install it on yur computer and u can record stuff............can u mix stuff on it ..............how does it work??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 9 2008, 01:57 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I also recommend Toneport + Reaper.

Reaper is a multi-track recording software, that allows you to record and play simultaneous tracks, like a backing + a solo etc.

Reaper is free to try, and easy to use. There are several models of Toneport you can get, cheapest one allos you to plug just 1 instrument at a time, other models allow to plug in instrument + mic, etc.

Check Line6 toneport page, and the review of toneport UX1 at the reviews section at this site:

http://line6.com/toneport/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=9152

Check the recording subforum here at GMC too wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 9 2008, 02:31 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Guitarport + Rifftracker or Reaper is OK. I've noticed that with my computer the Guitarport doesn't cut it. It records with low latency but playback when i have 4-5 tracks starts to get messy, at 6 tracks my Sony ACID Pro has response times up to 30 seconds (Reaper is better, only 10 seconds...) - playback goes silent frequently as the Toneport gets too much to do. It's as if the toneport handles the recording while leaving the playback to the internal soundcard (and mine sucks)
When I plugged my POD X3 into the same computer it's flawless.

So I could recommend the X3 which is a sound interface, practice- and live performance device in one. Needs XP ot 2000 on your PC.
Though the Guitarport seem to work well as a sound interface for everyone else so it's probably just my computer.

So if you get your ideas and you're close to a computer at all times when you want to record them a sound interface of any kind (one with amp modulation and effects is nice) + Reaper which you can use for free though they suggest you pay for it.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 9 2008, 03:29 PM
Sorry, don't mean to thread-jack, but I was about to ask the same question as Slash, so I think it'd be kinda pointless to make another similar thread.

I'm also looking to start recording riffs, and hopefully songs. Judging from the posts above Reaper is a good choice for beginner software. As for the interface, if I had to choose between the X3 and the Toneport UX2, what would be the better choice? (I have a stock soudcard, I guess it's pretty bad for recording music)

And I'd like to record complete songs, so is there a affordable drum program or something that I could use?

Thanks

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 9 2008, 09:49 PM
Instructor
I think TOneport is well rounded solution for pilot recording, practicing and jamming along. I comes with Ableton Live Lite DAW software, and Gearbox effect modeller with built in tuner and metronome with some trivial drum pattern programming ability.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 9 2008, 11:02 PM
i have absolutely no idea whats goin on here........im lost ........if i was to get this reaper do i need anything else with it like these " soundcards" and "X3's" and "toneports".............or can i just download reaper and away i go...................hey im also wondering too right.........with any of these softwares can u just upload songs from yur computer and cut out say the guitars to the song and jam with the song like a backing?......does reaper do that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 9 2008, 11:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (slash85 @ Apr 10 2008, 12:02 AM) *
i have absolutely no idea whats goin on here........im lost ........if i was to get this reaper do i need anything else with it like these " soundcards" and "X3's" and "toneports".............or can i just download reaper and away i go...................hey im also wondering too right.........with any of these softwares can u just upload songs from yur computer and cut out say the guitars to the song and jam with the song like a backing?......does reaper do that?

You need a soundcard to plug the guitar into, and then software like reaper to record what goes into the soundcard.
You most likely allready have a soundcard though, you can use that if you have a "line-in" connection on it. Check on the back of the PC for that.

You cant remove guitartracks from ordinary songs like that. But you can make your own backingtracks in reaper.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 9 2008, 11:17 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 10 2008, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 10 2008, 08:16 AM) *
You need a soundcard to plug the guitar into, and then software like reaper to record what goes into the soundcard.
You most likely allready have a soundcard though, you can use that if you have a "line-in" connection on it. Check on the back of the PC for that.

You cant remove guitartracks from ordinary songs like that. But you can make your own backingtracks in reaper.

mr vold

i just downloaded reaper however im not sure if i have a line in thingy for the soundcard thingy i have no idea what it looks like even......how else can i go about this

--------------------

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 10 2008, 12:25 AM
so i just downloaded reaper right and am havin a bit of a fiddle with it..........say i record a riff right....can i use drum beats n bass lines that reaper has already installed on it to add to my riffs..................so u can kind of create yur own song or somethin and then mix it to make parts louder and what not........am i right in saying this????

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 10 2008, 12:30 AM
Instructor
Here's 2 different but typical looks for the average soundcard and the line-in plug:

Either built in on the mainboard it will look like this:

Or if you have a PCI/PCIe card:

There's offcourse dozens and dozens of different soundcards, and each will have a differnet amount of "holes" in the back.
If you have soundcards with mini-jack plugs like this, you will need a mini-jack plug for your jack-cable (the usual guitar cable).

You connect the guitar from a headphone/line-out on your amp and then make sure that the line-in option in your windows-mixer (the icon that looks like a speaker on your traybar) is not disabled.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 10 2008, 12:35 AM

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 10 2008, 12:38 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 10 2008, 09:30 AM) *
Here's 2 different but typical looks for the average soundcard and the line-in plug:

Either built in on the mainboard it will look like this:

Or if you have a PCI/PCIe card:

There's offcourse dozens and dozens of different soundcards, and each will have a differnet amount of "holes" in the back.
If you have soundcards with mini-jack plugs like this, you will need a mini-jack plug for your jack-cable (the usual guitar cable).

You connect the guitar either directly or from a headphone/line-out on your amp and then make sure that the line-in option in your windows-mixer (the icon that looks like a speaker on your traybar) is not disabled.

alright so i have run into some problems already.............for starters i have a laptop and there are none of those line in jacks or anything on it......and i have a marshall jvm 410c head and it doesnt have headphone jacks ....it has line out but its got three little prongs things in it .....so i wont accommodate a guitar cable...................sorry this is probably painful for youse but i just play guitar i have never experimented with all this sort of stuff so cheers for baring with me wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 10 2008, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (slash85 @ Apr 10 2008, 01:38 AM) *
alright so i have run into some problems already.............for starters i have a laptop and there are none of those line in jacks or anything on it......and i have a marshall jvm 410c head and it doesnt have headphone jacks ....it has line out but its got three little prongs things in it .....so i wont accommodate a guitar cable...................sorry this is probably painful for youse but i just play guitar i have never experimented with all this sort of stuff so cheers for baring with me wink.gif

The easisest way would be to buy a Toneport gx ar another usb device

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 10 2008, 12:47 AM
Instructor
Ah.. i knew i forgot to take a laptop into consideration sad.gif

Yes, as superize said, the best option then is a USB toneport.
The toneport has Hi-Z aswell, so you can connect the guitar un-amplified directly to it. And you dont need any conversion plugs on the cable.

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 10 2008, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (superize @ Apr 10 2008, 09:42 AM) *
The easisest way would be to buy a Toneport gx ar another usb device

so the tone port acts like the sound card or somethin............do u hook the toneport up to yur amp or do u just hook yur guitar into the toneport and then link the toneport to the computer

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:12 AM