2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Many Languages Do You Speak?
vonhotch
Jun 26 2013, 01:52 AM
GMC:er
I have always wanted to learn another language but never felt like I had a relealistic chance of using it enough to remember any of what I learned. And figured I would just forget. But now with GMC and other things. I have had the amazing opportunity to talk to people all over the world and wish I could speak other languages. English is obviously the dominant language on GMC, but not always a first language. So..... How many other languages do you guys speak? And I got respect for those who know more than one. Some of you guys speak english better than people I know who only speak english. laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 26 2013, 03:59 AM
What do call a person that speaks 3 languages?
Tri-lingual.

What do you call a person that speaks 2 languages?
Bi-lingual.

What do you call a person that speaks 1 language?
An American ... ba dump, I'm here all week.

But seriously, I can butcher Italian. My wife is from Italy and our son is perfectly bi-lingual.

*Many of you non-native English speakers have better grammar than the native speakers biggrin.gif ohmy.gif
I too am quite impressed with you all!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 26 2013, 04:01 AM

+Quote Post
superize
Jun 26 2013, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Besides English i speak my native language Swedish

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
David Vagabond
Jun 26 2013, 06:31 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
For my case I speak french, cause I'm french, and spanish cause my mother is spanish and I spent years living there. And a little bit of english because I learned it at school.

I think that most of "multi-languages speakers" have 2 or more different ethnical origins, so they can learn another language without thinking about it. Then it depends of the teaching policy in your country. In france, for exemple, english is obligatory since 11 years old till the end of studies, there's no option. It doesn't make us fluent, french are not famous for their english mastery smile.gif, but it allows you to have an easy conversation with anybody on earth. I have not a great english level, but after travelling a little bit I realize that it's enough to understand others and being understood.

Everybody can learn another language, you just need to allow time for it. For myself I don't study english any more since years but I watch soaps and movies in original version, so I can learn new words or expression without having the sensation of studying.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 26 2013, 06:34 AM
Yeah I would love to know how to speak in other languages but all i know is English.

I really am amazed how many people on here can speak multiple languages and do so very well

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jun 26 2013, 07:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
I speak Danish, which means I also understand and can speak with Swedes and Norwegians.
English is my second language.
I understand most German, but my grammar is non-excisting when I try to speak it myself.
I learned a little Portuguese when doing capoeira 10 years ago and also took some Mandarin lessons some years ago,
but I dont understand these languages except for a few words now.

Living in a small country like Denmark you need to be able to speak more than one language.

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Jun 26 2013, 07:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 26 2013, 07:24 AM
Learning Roadie
I speak English, I've been trying to learn Brazilian Portuguese for about 3 years.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Jun 26 2013, 08:37 AM
My mother language is Hungarian, so it's quite a necessity for me to be able to express myself in other languages aswell, because there aren't many Hungarian speakers out there.
Besides English(obviously), I speak some French and I recently started learning German.

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 26 2013, 08:55 AM
Theory Instructor
Hey, good question and good goal to have, learning a new language!

I speak English, first language, and growing up in Canada I learned to speak French. Though these days I can read and understand French but speaking it is another matter.

I learned Portuguese a few years ago, then moved to Brazil so that helped learn it to a pretty fluent point, and I try to keep it at that level if I can, though it takes some work now that I live in the UK.

I wrote an article about how learning a language and learning music are similar, and how learning a language helped me be a better guitarist.

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/how-learn...-jazz-guitarist

Check it out if you're interested.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jun 26 2013, 10:29 AM
My main language is german second one i use right now most is english (still learning) ,

third one french but i do not use it anymore that often - so understanding ok and simple talks ok but missing practise,

in younger years of my life serbo-croatian , but did not use it many years now

and hebrew at school and some years practice , long time ago .

So my main interest`s are in english language now cool.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 26 2013, 10:36 AM
Native tongue - Serbian

1.st fluent lang English language

2nd fluent lang - German

3nd learning lang - Hungarian

Beside those -llearned Latin in High school

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jun 26 2013, 10:40 AM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jun 26 2013, 11:36 AM) *
Native tongue - Serbian

1.st fluent lang English language

2nd fluent lang - German

3nd learning lang - Hungarian

Beside those -llearned Latin in High school

Hello Slavenko , hope you are FINE !

Hehehe Latin is Good to know , so when you are in Germany you could give some Latin hours to my daughter laugh.gif

i myself know only Asterix and Obelix Latin biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jun 26 2013, 10:43 AM
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jun 26 2013, 11:40 AM) *
Hello Slavenko , hope you are FINE !

Hehehe Latin is Good to know , so when you are in Germany you could give some Latin hours to my daughter laugh.gif

i myself know only Asterix and Obelix Latin biggrin.gif

Yeah, i'm good, thank you, survived first rows of Slayer concert last night , still cant hear on right ear, and have rehearsal in few hours! mad.gif

How's the thing in Heillbronn?

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jun 26 2013, 12:49 PM
I am British living in Spain for 10 years so I can speak English and Spanish (Castillian)...As I live in the Valencia region I can also understand a fair bit of Valenciana (Catalan derivative) although I can't speak it.
I am trying to learn how to speak Music! with my fingers and fretboard laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jun 26 2013, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 26 2013, 02:05 PM
Wow I am really impressed.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 26 2013, 02:59 AM) *
What do call a person that speaks 3 languages?
Tri-lingual.

What do you call a person that speaks 2 languages?
Bi-lingual.

What do you call a person that speaks 1 language?
An American ... ba dump, I'm here all week.

But seriously, I can butcher Italian. My wife is from Italy and our son is perfectly bi-lingual.

*Many of you non-native English speakers have better grammar than the native speakers biggrin.gif ohmy.gif
I too am quite impressed with you all!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (David Vagabond @ Jun 26 2013, 05:31 AM) *
For my case I speak french, cause I'm french, and spanish cause my mother is spanish and I spent years living there. And a little bit of english because I learned it at school.

I think that most of "multi-languages speakers" have 2 or more different ethnical origins, so they can learn another language without thinking about it. Then it depends of the teaching policy in your country. In france, for exemple, english is obligatory since 11 years old till the end of studies, there's no option. It doesn't make us fluent, french are not famous for their english mastery smile.gif, but it allows you to have an easy conversation with anybody on earth. I have not a great english level, but after travelling a little bit I realize that it's enough to understand others and being understood.

Everybody can learn another language, you just need to allow time for it. For myself I don't study english any more since years but I watch soaps and movies in original version, so I can learn new words or expression without having the sensation of studying.

When I was in school there were a couple years of mandatory French. But they did away with that. Now there is still a year or two of Spanish, and then it's optional. I live in a rural area so about the only time I heard another language growing up was in a movie.

QUOTE (The Professor @ Jun 26 2013, 07:55 AM) *
Hey, good question and good goal to have, learning a new language!

I speak English, first language, and growing up in Canada I learned to speak French. Though these days I can read and understand French but speaking it is another matter.

I learned Portuguese a few years ago, then moved to Brazil so that helped learn it to a pretty fluent point, and I try to keep it at that level if I can, though it takes some work now that I live in the UK.

I wrote an article about how learning a language and learning music are similar, and how learning a language helped me be a better guitarist.

http://www.mattwarnockguitar.com/how-learn...-jazz-guitarist

Check it out if you're interested.

Excellent article. I remember reading that before. I have always felt that one of the most important things to learn was "how to learn". Then you could learn almost anything. It's amazing how different skills can be broken down into some of the same basic ideas. Taking something familiar and applying it to something unfamiliar. I wish that was applied in schools more.

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jun 26 2013, 11:49 AM) *
I am British living in Spain for 10 years so I can speak English and Spanish (Castillian)...As I live in the Valencia region I can also understand a fair bit of Valenciana (Catalan derivative) although I can't speak it.
I am trying to learn how to speak Music! with my fingers and fretboard laugh.gif

Ah the language of music. That definitely counts!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 26 2013, 03:48 PM
Instructor
I also admire people that can speak many languages! My native language is Spanish.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 26 2013, 04:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
English, Irish and Spanish (Castellano) albeit that mine's an Andaluz version and I'm proficient rather than fluent. My daughter and wife both speak English, Spanish, French and German. My mother speaks English, German, Chinese (Cantonese), some idioma of Arabic and Russian.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 26 2013, 04:23 PM
English is my first language. I am very basic in French and Spanish.
I am fluent in Sarcasm!!
wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 26 2013, 06:45 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I can speak a few german dialects biggrin.gif

And a bit of english, a bit of french and a tiny little bit of spanish.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jun 26 2013, 06:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
Interesting Topic guys! Its curious to see what everyone speaks!

As for Me, English is my native tongue, But Ive always been bilingual as my parents are Czechs and I spoke Czech from a young age.
I also speak German well, as I've been living in Germany the last couple years.
Think I want to learn Spanish next, when the time comes! I find it extremely interesting learning a new language!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:36 PM