Signups - Gmc Mentored Training Program (mtp), Pilot Signup
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 17 2008, 03:59 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi there! If you are unsure what this is all about, check the explanatory thread here!

In this thread, Kris and I are looking for 2 beginner level students to tryout the new mentoring program.

If you want to be a part of this, and are prepared to help us work the process out and give us feedback on how it os working for you, then signup here!

To apply, we need the following from you:

To sign up, a student must post to the signup thread, including a video of his or her current level of playing - this gives the potential mentors a feel for the type of playing the student' level - this does';t have to be elaborate, just a few chops and techniques, as well as something which involves rhythm guitar - if possible with a backing. The student should also include some ideas on what he/she wants to achieve in the next 6 month period, and some notes on the overall style of playing they want to develop - either spoken in the video , or in writing in the signup post.

Kris and I will pick 2 suitable members and work with them for 2 months to see how this works out. IF all is well, we will then launch a far bigger program open to all of GMC.

Although Kris and I will be the first mentors, we are expecting that most mentors will be other more experienced GMC members, so potential mentors reading this - get your mentor video ready for when we throw this open to the rest of GMC!

We will accept videos until next weekend, and then shortly after we will announce who the first mentored students will be. All of the action will be happening in My Agenda so keep checking to see how the program is working out!

Ok, let the applications flow smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Aug 22 2008, 06:21 PM
Reason for edit: I added "as well as something which involves rhythm guitar - if possible with a backing"

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Bondy
Aug 17 2008, 04:38 PM
Learning Roadie
I would like to have a pop at this heres my Video

Improvements I would like to make in the next six months would be to improve my sweeping and legato techniques{which are none exsistant}.Iam not really a shredder i like most types of music thats just what i would like to concentrate on at the moment.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bondy: Aug 17 2008, 04:45 PM

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 17 2008, 04:43 PM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Aug 17 2008, 11:38 AM) *
I would like to have a pop at this heres my Video

Don't forget the bit about what you want to achieve nd what style you are looking for!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 17 2008, 04:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Awesome idea guys.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Aug 17 2008, 04:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Lol Andrew realised i missed that out was writing that why you did your post Ha ha

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 17 2008, 06:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'd definitely like to try this. I'll do a video as soon as possible.

+Quote Post
chast
Aug 17 2008, 07:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey,

I'd like to give this a try.
What I want to improve is:

- Improvisation (fretboard knowledge, make it more colorful)
- Using more rhythm in lead playing
- Songwriting

I don't have a special style I look for, because I like very different kind of music from Pop, over Metal to Funk and Instrumental music of course. There just too many good stuff out there, that I could only listen to one style. Maybe to name a few guiter players I like in no particular order except the first one wink.gif
John Petrucci, Dimebag Darrell, Rick Graham, Marcus Lavendell, Chet Atkins, Michael Romeo, Muris Varajic, Zakk Wylde (the style he played on No More Tears) Guthrie Govan, Mark Knopfler, James Hetfield, Marty Friedman, Andy Timmons and a lot more.

I added one improvisation and 2 Videos (a lot of the same stuff in the videos, I just wasn't happy with the framrate of the first one. And attention, sometimes I quite messed up tongue.gif), where I just play some random riffs I learned sometime.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  POWER_BALLAD_80TIES_BACKING_impro.mp3 ( 665.4K ) Number of downloads: 299
Attached File  GMC_MTP_1.wmv ( 13.24MB ) Number of downloads: 435
Attached File  GMC_MTP_2.wmv ( 17.27MB ) Number of downloads: 284

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Aug 17 2008, 07:38 PM
GMC:er
I would looove to participate in this! I would (or course) like to be a student... But, there are a few things that I could bring to "The Pool" if I was an instructor. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 17 2008, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (Déjà vu @ Aug 17 2008, 02:38 PM) *
I would looove to participate in this! I would (or course) like to be a student... But, there are a few things that I could bring to "The Pool" if I was an instructor. smile.gif

Well, when we launch the full program there's absolutely nothing stopping from you being a Mentor AND a student smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
big harry
Aug 17 2008, 07:52 PM
Learning Roadie - CHALLENGE STAR!
hey guys
i would like to be part of this program
the style i am looking for is some kind of hard rock and metal style

my achievments
- solide, spicy rhythm guitar
- soloing

overall style
- rock style (kind of ACDC, Bon Jovi etc)
- metal style (kind of Metallica, Rage against the machine, etc)
- Funk rock

my playing
i have been playing guitar for nearly 15 years, knowing some power chords and some licks, but mainly my playing is very simple, no complicated riffing and chords

never been playing real solos, just a few that doesnt sound pretty good
thats what i need to improve 100%

so thats mainly the things i want to improve or learn
video will follow (with webcam or with digital cam ?)
thx
Harry

I hope its not too late, heres my video

This post has been edited by big harry: Aug 27 2008, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 17 2008, 07:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think I would be a good participant in this project. I am a beginner, and I've been around on the site for quit a while. I can make video and audio. For me video isn't realy easy... I'll make a video tomorow if I can. I just hope it's not for nothing because making video isn't that simple for me tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 17 2008, 08:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Edit: My application is down lower now.

P.s. if a mod can delete this post then please do cheers. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Matt23: Aug 18 2008, 07:43 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  mentor__student_vid.wmv ( 3.52MB ) Number of downloads: 342

+Quote Post
me213
Aug 17 2008, 10:18 PM
This is such an awesome program I'll have to record a video and post it soon!

--------------------
What could more fun than playing the ELECTRIC GUITAR??!!

Paul Gilbert

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 17 2008, 10:22 PM
I ordered my webcam today to be in this mentor program... just another thing to add to the list that ive bought since joining GMC...

--------------------

+Quote Post
hansome21
Aug 18 2008, 12:46 AM
I would love to be in this program, my roommate and I started guitar a year ago, but I found this site and since then I have literally jumped ahead of him in playing, learning to slow down and only gradually increase speed taught me so much more so quickly, let me see if I can find a cheap webcam at pricewatch.

sorry about double post but just to let everyone know, at pricewatch.com i saw webcams for as low as 14 bucks, and free shipping, so dont let money be the reason you dont join this program.

+Quote Post
juangar1992
Aug 18 2008, 06:25 AM
Hey guys i've been playing guitar for a couple months now, i just discovered GMC and its a great site. this site has improved my playing a lot, but as matt23 i dont really have any goals or plans to follow on GMC. i want to improve

1. my sweep picking
2. my alternate picking (speed picking) 16th triplets at 130.
3. tapping all styles (touch, eight finger???....)
4. overall theory knowledge

i guess thats a lot to ask for!!! ill be uploading my video tomorrow!!

EDIT: i like metal, classic rock, alt rock, almost any kind of music (except rap)

This post has been edited by juangar1992: Aug 18 2008, 02:50 PM

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Aug 18 2008, 07:11 AM
Hey, everybody, I really haven't been involved with GMC lately, I've been incredibly busy this summer, but I'll be getting back into it over this next year.

This sounds like a great program, and I'm definitely interested in getting involved at some point; maybe not right now, but I'll be able to do it soon. I have no way to record audio or video at the moment, but I think I will in a month or two.

Some of the things that I'm trying to accomplish musically are:

- Capturing emotions in my playing, playing more expressively, basically getting what's in my head to come out of the speakers, or onto a musical staff.
- Learning more theory, as much as I can! For example, complex harmonies, counterpart, following progressions with harmonies, etc., are all way over my head right now.
- Getting out of stereotypical licks, scale/chord shapes, etc. You know, breaking the mold!
- Finding musical ideas not typical to guitar, or Western music. Basically "expanding my horizons".
- Improvisation, unique ideas, and musical creativity in general.
- Learning more about different styles of music (different genres, traditional music from different areas, etc.)
- Good technique, finger dexterity/coordination, all that fun stuff.
- Getting a good tone (not necessarily amp/guitar stuff, but also just in my playing) for different styles of music.
- Learn about playing both rhythm and lead, as well as combining the two.
- Ear training, especially "playing by ear", as well as working on sight-reading music (being able to look at sheet music and play it, instantly.)
- Learning to play better with others.
- And, learning instruments other than guitar. I love the versatility of guitar, and it will surely remain my main instrument, but I would like to learn as many others as I can.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Anyways, as far as my musical tastes, I enjoy almost all types of music, except for rap, heavy metal, country and all that generic/mainstream rock or pop stuff. My favorite musician is Steve Vai (I know, big surprise, the guitarist is a Vai fan tongue.gif ), his talent at guitar, amazing musicianship, and just his attitude towards music in general truly inspire me. I am also a big fan of Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Carlos Santana, Greg Howe, Eric Johnson, and several other "virtuoso"-type guitarists, but I love most other music as well, the music that really touches me tends to be more melodic stuff, but, as I've already said, I love almost all music! I like classic rock, jazz, traditional music, alternative rock, classical, blues, whatever, you name it, I will probably like it.

As for what I personally want to play, I think I would like to play instrumental music, for the most part, although I also want to be able to play along with musicians of any style, in the long run. Not to say that I have a problem with vocals, but I tend to not listen to lyrics at all, I really just care about the melody behind them. Basically, I don't want to follow a certain path, but rather, I want to create my own unique style that incorporates things from all styles of music.

Thanks for listening, I will make a video as soon as I can, until then, good luck on the program!

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Aug 19 2008, 05:28 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 18 2008, 09:42 AM
GMC Founder
Keep it coming! biggrin.gif We haven't yet decided on who the test persons will be!

Also, we are interested in students who have the following beginner problems:

* Playing in time with a band or GMC backing track

* Stomping the beat while playing

* Any other problems which you feel seem to basic for you to ask openly about in the forum

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 18 2008, 11:47 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I wanna learn how to read tabs properly, all the letters and signs I don't understand yet (Yes, I'm bad at tabs..)
I wanna learn how to use scales to create solos etc.
I wanna learn more chords
I wanna learn some songs by other artists (I only know two or three tongue.gif)
I wanna learn about harmonies (Iron Maidenish)
I wanna learn more theory
I wanna learn how to tap (2 or 3 finger tapping is enough for me biggrin.gif)
I wanna learn how to break out from my usual riffs, licks etc. and expand my ways of creating songs.
I wanna learn!!!

So... I need a teacher, anyone? unsure.gif biggrin.gif

(I'll upload a video if necessary.. wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 18 2008, 07:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've done some more videos with drums this time and ive changed a bit of my post.

Hey there, here's my videos (didn't see it should have a backing ill do another video soon), and here's my writing about my goals, why i want to do this etc.

I've recorded without distortion in the last three of these videos so when im not playing cleanly its not covered up by distortion. Also i think my guitar was a little bit out of tune for some of them.

Attached File  mentor__student_vid.wmv ( 3.52MB ) Number of downloads: 234

Attached File  mentor_improv.wmv ( 2.8MB ) Number of downloads: 184

Attached File  mentor_modes.wmv ( 5.83MB ) Number of downloads: 221

Attached File  mentorvid2.wmv ( 5.11MB ) Number of downloads: 197

In the first year of my guitar playing i never did alternate picking (i didn't get lessons at all) but then when i got a teacher because of doing music at school i learnt about alternate picking and modes and i started to progress a lot quicker. Because my teacher gave me targets every week that were possible i had something to work towards and got serious about the guitar and started practicing a lot more. Then i didn't get lessons because not enough people showed up to them, but i had joined GMC so i was doing alright. My alternate picking was adequate and i was getting gradually better but because i never had goals, and i didnt know what goals i could make myself, so i ended up not really being able to practice and ended up just playing things i knew, though i will point out GMC did help me with this because i had a lot of new things i could learn.
Now you know the story of why i really want to become a student for this project ill list my goals.

1) Get a good right hand and left hand technique. Just now im not sure what to try and improve with each of these.

2) Finish learning to speedpick. I'll be happy when i can do 16th triplets at 120bpm, and when i can speedpick more than just up and down scales, and have a good technique. (I definitely want to do this first)

3) Learn sweep picking. Just now i am a beginner at sweeping and i can only do very simple things fast (i.e things where you only sweep one way so you don't have to change your picking directionat all). I don't have a specific target for this. This is actually my favourite shred technique but i think i should learn alternate first as it can be used for more things.

4) Improve my composing (bass, drums etc not just guitar).

5) Learn to compose in the celtic and jazz styles. (I would like to do this once i've got my guitar technique good)

There are other things i would like to such as fingerpicking, andy mckee style playing and tapping but i think what im said above is all i would be likely to achieve in 6 months, it depends on how much i can dedicate myself though.

My overall dream style of playing would involve being able to shred in a variety of different techniques and, having bits of rock, celtic, and fusion/jazz in my playing. I would also like to have better melody skills like vibrato, bending etc so i can put more feeling into my playing. M

My favourite guitarists are Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Muris Varajic, Andy Mckee, Guthrie Govan, Buckethead and John Petrucci, although i like quite a lot of stuff as well as that. The music i like best is generally ballads or songs with a lot of emotion in them, but i also like rock 'n' roll, groove etc. I like listening to anything really im just not too keen on some indie/pop, and most rap (i like eminem though).

If you want me to upload any examples of my composing then just ask. smile.gif

Matt smile.gif

This post has been edited by Matt23: Aug 20 2008, 11:57 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:12 AM