Ok, I Need Serious Help, with my new guitar
kyldeee
Aug 5 2008, 01:45 PM
GMC:er
I didn't know it was going to be this hard to tune a guitar mad.gif

It's a Ibanez Satriani model (posted some pics on earlier threads) and it has a Lo Pro Edge Bridge, and I'm completely lost...
I need help or some good instruction over the internet, other wise I might start crying sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kyldeee: Aug 5 2008, 01:46 PM

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
rockztar
Aug 5 2008, 01:50 PM
here you got, i think this is what youre looking for

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/tuning-a-floyd-rose/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 5 2008, 02:08 PM
QUOTE (rockztar @ Aug 5 2008, 01:50 PM) *
here you got, i think this is what youre looking for

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/tuning-a-floyd-rose/

Thanks, I'll try to understand that biggrin.gif biggrin.gif It's just that I'm new to this and it might take some time smile.gif

Yeah, I don't understand a word of that... It says that if the Bridge is leaning forwards the strings are too loose, so... which way is forwads, is it to the direction of the neck... My Bridge is little bit in the air from the back, does this mean that the strings are too loose... I'm scared sad.gif

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
rockztar
Aug 5 2008, 02:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:

+Quote Post
wollace03
Aug 5 2008, 02:29 PM
QUOTE (rockztar @ Aug 5 2008, 03:21 PM) *

thanx for the link!!

my 2 main guitars are an ibanez rg560 and a yamaha - both with floyd rose.
the string changing process is very annoying for me so i fixed the bridge on the yamaha (no up bending) and for the ibanez - twice a year i bring it to a guitar technician to give it a string chance and to check the setup...

that actually the main reason why i wanna buy a new guitar without a tremolo....

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 5 2008, 02:31 PM
he doesn't say anything about the fine tune knobs at the back???? He's got them all screwed tight, and the other intstruction say that they should be in the middle....

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
rockztar
Aug 5 2008, 02:42 PM
as far as i remember you should tune the guitar as good as you can and then lock the locking saddle... then you use the tiny screws one the bridge to make some fine adjustment to the string...
but not totally sure cause i dont own a guitar a FR like bridge

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 5 2008, 02:45 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (kyldeee @ Aug 5 2008, 03:31 PM) *
he doesn't say anything about the fine tune knobs at the back???? He's got them all screwed tight, and the other intstruction say that they should be in the middle....

I use to set them in the middle. Aim to get the tremolo aligned with the body unless it has a notch that you should set aligned instead.

Tune up
adjust the screws (inside the guitar reached from the lit on the back) to tighten or loosen. The goal is to get the forces between the strings and the springs to equal while the tremoli sits aligned.
Tune up again and check the result.
Repeat (forever) wink.gif

One sucky part is that now when the strings are new they will stretch so one idea is to set it up just alright for now, play a few hours and when they have fully stretch, get back to setting up the trem.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2008, 02:57 PM
Instructor
It's all said more or less so I would just add
to replace strings one at the time,
get it in tune,then remove next string,tune it etc.

It might be confusing,even scary if you have no experience
with floating bridge but once you get the procedure
it's really easy,no worries. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 5 2008, 03:11 PM
Why is it that now that I have tuned it, and Closed the locks on the top it falls out from it, and when it tighten it with the fine tune knobs, it only stays in tune a second and now the bridge is definitely raised from the body?????

should I know tighten the springs under the plastic cover???

I got to go eat something this sweating, has made me lost tons of energy smile.gif

QUOTE (rockztar @ Aug 5 2008, 02:42 PM) *
as far as i remember you should tune the guitar as good as you can and then lock the locking saddle... then you use the tiny screws one the bridge to make some fine adjustment to the string...
but not totally sure cause i dont own a guitar a FR like bridge

that is what I've been doing but, it wont stay in tune, what's up???? huh.gif

This post has been edited by kyldeee: Aug 5 2008, 03:05 PM

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Aug 5 2008, 03:13 PM
I recommend you get yourself a tremol-no (small clamp type).

http://www.allparts.uk.com/tremolno-tremol....html?p=product

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2008, 03:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kyldeee @ Aug 5 2008, 04:11 PM) *
Why is it that now that I have tuned it, and Closed the locks on the top it falls out from it, and when it tighten it with the fine tune knobs, it only stays in tune a second and now the bridge is definitely raised from the body?????

should I know tighten the springs under the plastic cover???

I got to go eat something this sweating, has made me lost tons of energy smile.gif

that is what I've been doing but, it wont stay in tune, what's up???? huh.gif

If it's in tune but bridge is raised from the body then
you should tighten the springs,of course!

But,what was the position of bridge when you bought the guitar,
was it in tune etc?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 5 2008, 03:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
For you as a total beginner with floyd trems I would suggest you take your Ibanez to the store and let a pro set up your guitar. Watch how he is doing it andlearn from it, maybe he is kind enough to teach you how to change strings/tunings...

It makes no sense if you accidently screw up your brand new (and expensive) guitar because you have to figure things out yourself. I learned it myself but on a cheap as hell licensed trem so there was not much to loose anyways but on you JS model it would be a total waste. Take it to and learn from a pro!!!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 5 2008, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 5 2008, 03:13 PM) *
If it's in tune but bridge is raised from the body then
you should tighten the springs,of course!

But,what was the position of bridge when you bought the guitar,
was it in tune etc?

No it wasn't, the lower E string was D sharp otherwise yes, and the bridge was a little raisen from the body

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 5 2008, 03:16 PM) *
For you as a total beginner with floyd trems I would suggest you take your Ibanez to the store and let a pro set up your guitar. Watch how he is doing it andlearn from it, maybe he is kind enough to teach you how to change strings/tunings...

It makes no sense if you accidently screw up your brand new (and expensive) guitar because you have to figure things out yourself. I learned it myself but on a cheap as hell licensed trem so there was not much to loose anyways but on you JS model it would be a total waste. Take it to and learn from a pro!!!

Dude, stop scaring me smile.gif Can it really brake for this :???????

This post has been edited by kyldeee: Aug 5 2008, 03:27 PM

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 5 2008, 03:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
It is just frustrating to tune a floyd for the first time and the mechanic parts won't get better from screwing arround with them for hours...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Aug 5 2008, 03:34 PM
Instructor
Hopefully I can be of some help. You are right Floyd Rose Tremolos are a pain in the neck sometimes, but learning how to set them up is really not that hard.

When I replace the strings on my Ibanez RG with Floyd Rose, I do as suggested here. One at a time and it has to be the same gauge and brand otherwise the tension will change, the bridge will move, and the guitar will have to be setup again.

Whenever I have to remove all the strings from my guitar (I clean the fretboard every now and then), I remove all strings and loosen the springs in the back, when putting the strings back I will place only a few strings (usually 1st and 6th) and use a wood block and stick it in the back so that the tremolo is locked in place. Sometimes what I use is those little wooden popsicle sticks like 5 or 6 of them cut in half and stacked on top of each other. I can add a picture later if this is a little confusing.

What this will do is prevent the strings from pulling the tremolo while tunning, and makes it much easier. Then I add all the strings, tune the guitar, add the springs and start tightening them until the wood block practicaly falls off, you do not want to tighten too much, you only want to tighten exactly as much needed for the block to come off. If done well the guitar should be in tune with the bridge in the right position. Do any fine tuning, and you are done. There is much more too guitar setup, but if the guitar was setup properly from the store, this should be enough

I Hope this helps

Jose

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 5 2008, 03:42 PM
It just wont stay tuned, if tune the low E string, and move on the the next then the Low E string comes out from tuning

Thanks, for the tips Jose smile.gif But I'm not changing strings, I just don't know how to tune this guitar, it wont stay tuned what am I doing wrong ??? sad.gif

This post has been edited by kyldeee: Aug 5 2008, 03:43 PM

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 5 2008, 03:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (kyldeee @ Aug 5 2008, 04:42 PM) *
It just wont stay tuned, if tune the low E string, and move on the the next then the Low E string comes out from tuning

Thanks, for the tips Jose smile.gif But I'm not changing strings, I just don't know how to tune this guitar, it wont stay tuned what am I doing wrong ??? sad.gif

because when you start tuning the next string you change the overall tension. But like I said before, tune it just fair then play for a couple of hours until the strings are fully stretched. THEN go for the final tuning

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 5 2008, 03:51 PM
Hi Kyldeee.

I had the same problem when I first moved to a floyd-rose guitar. This is the one site that has all the information you gonna need:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

For the time being I'd suggest you to use the same string gauge it came from factory, until you learn better how to setup it.

Don't use the locking system until the strings are fully stretched. After that you lock them and have no any further problems with tuning.

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 5 2008, 03:54 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 5 2008, 03:54 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ Aug 5 2008, 03:51 PM) *
Hi Kyldeee.

I had the same problem when I first moved to a floyd-rose guitar. This is the one site that has all the information you gonna need:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

For the time being I'd suggest you to use the same string gauge it came from factory, until you learn better how to setup it.

Don't use the locking system until the strings are fully stretched. After that you lock them and have no any further problems with tuning.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out smile.gif

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:59 PM