> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2015, 03:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! The plan looks so great! Be patient with the lessons and as you said, enjoy the whole practice a bit more. Alternate from moments in which you put all your focus on what you practice and some others more relaxed in which the playing is more natural and maybe less precise. Both kinds of practice combined are very useful.

Let's go for this plan, keep me updated and please don't scare your wife! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 11 2015, 08:27 PM
GMC:er
Hey Gab, Here are the updated takes on the bending and vibrato techniques lessons. I am not there yet with the legato one yet, i need to work on that one some more still.

Vibrato

Bending

Cheers!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 12 2015, 11:37 AM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Thanks for the new videos.

These two exercises are very related because both require the use of bending technique. The first one is to train your vibrato and the second one includes longer bends that require the addition of vibrato. After listening to both takes, I can say that you are going on the right track with these ones and that you still need to keep both in your practice routine, but the one that is more important to focus in the vibrato lesson since it will help both techniques.

Vibrato lesson has a good thing that is that you are starting to reach the correct pitches, you should continue working on this because you sometimes tend to go higher but you are getting close. However, the main thing to improve on this one is the timing of the "vibration", the up and down groove which is not going with the drum rhythm. I suspect that you are putting all your attention on reaching the right notes and that's the reason why you don't pay too much attention to timing. Just check your take starting at 00:14, and pay attention to the rhythm of your vibrato and compare it with the drum's beat, are you going faster on slower than the backing's groove?

I have to say that the bending lesson is better, you are reaching the pitches most of the time. Sometimes you tend to do the bending release a bit fast so once again timing is an issue to focus. Also, vibrato is not consistent on this lesson, but the work on the previous lesson will really help. Play along with the original lesson and try to emulate Bear's vibrato used on long notes.

So to summarize,

- Take care of timing on phrasing, vibrato and bending release.
- Be careful with vibrato's pitches.

Keep on the hard work! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 12 2015, 09:09 PM
Hey Gab, thanks for the really helpful comments on both these lessons. I think you are right with both this lessons I have really been focusing on trying to get the right pitches with the bends that the timing is not so precise. This is something I will work on the next days but its cool to see how this techniques lessons are slowly helping me with the rhythm ones as well. The only thing I find with these two lessons especially the vibrato ones is it destroys the ends of my fingers, this doesn't happen with other lessons but i must be really digging down hard on those strings!

Onto another subject I have started the bring me the horizon lesson which I am finding a bit tricky, especially with the timing. I am already stuck on the second part, I am not sure how to count this part(see picture attached). Is it like 1,2...1,2,3....1,2,3, i'm struggling on that a bit!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2015, 06:24 PM
Instructor
Yes, I think that this technique lessons are really helping to develop your technique, but the real responsible of this progress is yourself. You are doing a very good job and have a very positive energy, keep going! smile.gif

About the rhythm lesson, I basically count 1, 2, 3, 4 with my foot while I play this rhythm pattern since all stronger notes of the riff go with the strong / first beat. I recommend you to slow it down, turn on a metronome and try to sing the rhythm over it. Do it while tapping with your foot the beat. Once you can tap with your foot and sing it, you should then be able to play it with your right hand.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 14 2015, 09:17 PM
Ok great thanks for your advice on the bring me the horizon lesson. I've been practicing it for the last half an hour and slowing it down to 80bmp I can start to play it now. It works! I guess this is the approach i will have to take for this whole lesson. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2015, 04:04 PM
Instructor
Great! Please keep me updated. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jan 25 2015, 02:28 PM
Hey Gab,
Just letting you know that i haven't been able to play much last week as my hand and neck issues have reoccurred again. I was restricted to one practice session last week, but i have had some heavy treatment this week and I have slowly started up again practicing again today. I hope I can have some new takes on this lessons I am learning done soon!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2015, 04:21 AM
Instructor
Hi Philm, I'm sorry to hear about it but I send you positive vibes that you feel better this week. Please take care of your hand and neck and let me know if everything gets normal again. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 2 2015, 09:12 PM
Hey gab!
Thanks for the positive vibes biggrin.gif . My hand is a lot better again now and i am able to get back to practice! I have also reduced my hours at work which means I have more free time for playing too. I'm looking forward to getting going again!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2015, 12:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Feb 2 2015, 05:12 PM) *
Hey gab!
Thanks for the positive vibes biggrin.gif . My hand is a lot better again now and i am able to get back to practice! I have also reduced my hours at work which means I have more free time for playing too. I'm looking forward to getting going again!

Great news!! That's awesome. You really received the vibes! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 4 2015, 05:25 PM
Hey Gab,
I have a question regarding cubase. I have been learning the bring me the horizon lesson and I wanted to use the LePou plugin that you used for the tone. I have installed it into the plugin folder but I am getting this problem that I can't preview the effect before recording. I have the effect plugged into the inserts for my audio track but I can only hear it after the track has been recorded. I attached an image of my set up in Cubase LE AI Elements 7. Do you know the solution for this?
Also I can't seem to load the presets into the LePou plugin. I am able to get the open preset dialogue box open but its empty. Where to I have to place the presets so it finds them, i tried pasting them in the presets directory of cubase but its still coming up empty in cubase. I appreciate your help on this one I want to the tone sounding right for this lesson!

This post has been edited by philm: Feb 4 2015, 05:27 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2015, 02:34 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, from what I can see, the monitor should be working!

Check out this settings:

"ASIO Direct Monitoring

If your audio hardware is ASIO 2.0 compatible, it may support ASIO Direct Monitoring. In this mode, the actual monitoring is done in the audio hardware, by sending the input signal back out again. However, monitoring is controlled from Cubase SX/SL. This means that the audio hardware's direct monitoring feature can be turned on or off automatically by Cubase SX/SL, just as when using internal monitoring.

• To activate ASIO Direct Monitoring, open the Device Setup dialog on the Devices menu and check the Direct Monitoring checkbox on the VST Audiobay page.
If the checkbox is greyed out, your audio hardware (or its driver) doesn't support ASIO Direct Monitoring. Consult the audio hardware manufacturer for details.
• When ASIO Direct Monitoring is activated, you can select a monitoring mode in the Preferences dialog (VST page), as when monitoring via Cubase SX/SL (see above).
• Depending on the audio hardware, it may also be possible to adjust monitoring level and panning from the mixer.
Consult the documentation of the audio hardware if in doubt.
• VST effects and EQ cannot be applied to the monitor signal in this mode, since the monitor signal doesn't pass through Cubase SX/SL.
• Depending on the audio hardware, there may be special restrictions as to which audio outputs can be used for direct monitoring.
For details on the routing of the audio hardware, see its documentation.
• The latency value of the audio hardware configuration does not affect the monitor signal when using ASIO Direct Monitoring."

About the presets, this is where I save them to be found. Depending the amp for which it's done, you have to save it on its folder.

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 8 2015, 01:59 PM
Hey Gabs, Thanks for your help on this issue. The good news biggrin.gif , I have finally managed to get it working!. Just turning of this direct monitoring option in device menu fixed the problem. I have also managed to load in the preset now as well, i had to load it in a different place then you said but I found out where eventually...
Now to the bad news sad.gif , the sound doesn't really sound much like this lesson at all its way too harsh for some reason. Am I missing something else here, i saw in the zip file there is a file called s-preshigh.wav. Do I have to do something with this? Or did you do anything else to the sound as well, like adjusting the EQ levels or something to get the sound in the lesson? I attached an image again.

Oh also could you possibly also send me the backing tracks for the lesson at lower speeds, I am learning it at 85bpm at the moment. I am taking this lesson slow I am finding the lesson quite difficult but maybe I can do a take soon at a slower speed. Thanks a lot!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2015, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, yes, you are missing the cabinet. You have to also download keFir to open that impulse that you've found in the zip file.

Attached Image

Please check this video exactly when it starts playing and let me know if you can do it: http://youtu.be/Vdo7mXOih5Y?t=44s

Do you need slower backings for BMTH lesson?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 9 2015, 08:47 PM
Ah ha! we are slowly getting there gab. I have done what you have instructed me as you can see below but unfortunately something is still not quite right. Its sounding closer to the lesson now but its still coming out too harsh. Any suggestions?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 8 2015, 09:27 PM) *
Do you need slower backings for BMTH lesson?

Yes that would be brilliant if you could send me the 105 and 125bpm backing tracks. Thanks! I am enjoying this lesson btw. Its my first time learning rhythm patterns like this but its a lot of fun and I think slowly I am getting somewhere with this lesson.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2015, 02:37 PM
Instructor
Well, there are some differences regarding the guitar used and the other gear so maybe doing some little EQ adjustments should work. Try lowering some presence and/or treble. You need to have in mind that my version in the lesson has an extra guitar and also a mastering process., as well as a different guitar. Try it and share samples here.

Attached File  bmth_backings.zip ( 7.33MB ) Number of downloads: 82

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 11 2015, 11:54 AM
Ok Gab so I have attached a few samples below. One is of the original tone with no adjustments and the other with EQ adjustments. As you can hear its sounds, well umm... terrible mellow.gif. It just sounds really muddy and I tried a quite long to tweak around with the controls and the EQ but I am obviously not happy yet. I did a third sample where I tried out my blackstar ht-dual distortion pedal . Also please don't pay too attention to the playing, I know there are many mistakes and I need more practice yet! Thanks for the slower backings btw.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  BMTH_Original.wav ( 52.74MB ) Number of downloads: 78
Attached File  BMTH_Original_EQChange.wav ( 52.74MB ) Number of downloads: 57
Attached File  BMTH_BlackstarDistortion.wav ( 52.74MB ) Number of downloads: 62

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2015, 07:28 PM
Instructor
It's true, it still sounds weird. Could you please try downloading Poulin Recab II from their blog?

It would replace the Kefir:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Feb 16 2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Gab. I already have that also installed its sounds a bit better but still not completely right. I shall hopefully do a take of the lesson soon and until then I will keeping tweaking until i get closer to the tone!

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:18 PM