How Do You Improve Your Reach?
Nick6373
Feb 6 2015, 01:58 AM
GMC:er
Hey everyone, I was wondering about some suggesting for improving the distance I can reach since my hands are pretty small.
I figure the best advice I can get is just practice and play but just incase I decided to ask XD.

I can reach from fret 6-11 fairly easy (around the middle of both frets) but if I'm actually playing I can't implement a reach that length into my playing, especially not at fast speeds. When I actually have my hand in my playing postition I can reach the edges of 6-11 (beginning of 7th fret and end of 10th fret is what I mean by edges) but it's painful to do and the notes are kind of muted and sloppy since I'm usually right on or near the frets and can't put enough pressure down on the frets a lot of the time.

Any advice?
Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 6 2015, 06:55 AM
Here is a KILLER thread all about the physicality of playing guitar including stretching smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53571

Also, here is a vid of stretches that I do before EVERY Practice that really helps my reach.

Beyond that I'd say take is slow, and practice! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Feb 5 2015, 08:58 PM) *
Hey everyone, I was wondering about some suggesting for improving the distance I can reach since my hands are pretty small.
I figure the best advice I can get is just practice and play but just incase I decided to ask XD.

I can reach from fret 6-11 fairly easy (around the middle of both frets) but if I'm actually playing I can't implement a reach that length into my playing, especially not at fast speeds. When I actually have my hand in my playing postition I can reach the edges of 6-11 (beginning of 7th fret and end of 10th fret is what I mean by edges) but it's painful to do and the notes are kind of muted and sloppy since I'm usually right on or near the frets and can't put enough pressure down on the frets a lot of the time.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 6 2015, 05:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 6 2015, 01:55 AM) *
Here is a KILLER thread all about the physicality of playing guitar including stretching smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53571

Also, here is a vid of stretches that I do before EVERY Practice that really helps my reach.

Beyond that I'd say take is slow, and practice! smile.gif

Todd

Omg Todd I can't believe how far back your hand goes!!!! Wtf man

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 6 2015, 06:07 PM
Iremember the petrucci book had a few stretching sort of exercises.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 6 2015, 06:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, John Petrucci's Rock Discipline definitely has some stretches in it that works your fingers. Well worth getting that DVD/book if you haven't already. Lots of good exercises as wel.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Feb 6 2015, 11:57 PM
Thanks guys, I'll research his book a bit. Also nice video Todd, I never really actually thought of stretching haha. I'll have to try that.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2015, 12:05 AM
Hehehehe, yeah smile.gif It didn't start out that way but after several years and years of stretching before every practice, you get really flexible! smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 6 2015, 12:58 PM) *
Omg Todd I can't believe how far back your hand goes!!!! Wtf man

Give it a shot! smile.gif Try to stretch before each practice session and do some light stretches to cool down after smile.gif

QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Feb 6 2015, 06:57 PM) *
Thanks guys, I'll research his book a bit. Also nice video Todd, I never really actually thought of stretching haha. I'll have to try that.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 7 2015, 12:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 6 2015, 07:05 PM) *
Hehehehe, yeah smile.gif It didn't start out that way but after several years and years of stretching before every practice, you get really flexible! smile.gif

Give it a shot! smile.gif Try to stretch before each practice session and do some light stretches to cool down after smile.gif

That's pretty inspirational actually. Check this out.... Crazy

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Feb 7 2015, 12:48 AM
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 6 2015, 11:09 PM) *

Wow that's awesome. That stuff is actually way harder to do than it looks like (at least for me haha)

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2015, 01:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 7 2015, 01:09 AM) *

Wow, that's crazy. A lot of those I can't do at all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 7 2015, 05:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Feb 6 2015, 07:48 PM) *
Wow that's awesome. That stuff is actually way harder to do than it looks like (at least for me haha)

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 6 2015, 08:05 PM) *
Wow, that's crazy. A lot of those I can't do at all!

I have done some of these and went way overboard quick. Seriously seriously sharp lightning pains that I never ever ever want to feel especially when you pull back the ring finger and wiggle your others.

Actually after doing it now I exagerated a lot but there is pain that burns inside of my arm.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 7 2015, 08:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Feb 7 2015, 06:10 AM) *
I have done some of these and went way overboard quick. Seriously seriously sharp lightning pains that I never ever ever want to feel especially when you pull back the ring finger and wiggle your others.

Actually after doing it now I exagerated a lot but there is pain that burns inside of my arm.

That's a sign one has to stop, I reckon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 7 2015, 05:19 PM
My reach is pretty good. My hands are very average sized for my height (5' 9")
I just got there by doing it.
Mostly reaching for big chords.
I personally don't believe that any 'off the guitar' exercises help in any way. *Unless you're recovering from an injury.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2015, 07:02 AM
Well, to each his own smile.gif But I have to disagree on this. I"ve benefitted greatly from doing stretches before and after playing. IN fact, it was NOT doing stretches before and after that led to my getting CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME. So I do suggest everyone do some light stretching before and after playing smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 7 2015, 12:19 PM) *
I personally don't believe that any 'off the guitar' exercises help in any way. *Unless you're recovering from an injury.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 8 2015, 04:41 PM
I'll amend my statement to say that if you immediately go for the stretches or speed w/o warming up a bit (on or off your instrument) then yes, you'll most likely hurt yourself at some point.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 8 2015, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 8 2015, 05:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 7 2015, 06:19 PM) *

Mind sharing some of those chords? smile.gif It'd be cool to practice some big chords!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 8 2015, 08:02 AM) *
Well, to each his own smile.gif But I have to disagree on this. I"ve benefitted greatly from doing stretches before and after playing. IN fact, it was NOT doing stretches before and after that led to my getting CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME. So I do suggest everyone do some light stretching before and after playing smile.gif

Ouch, I had a friend who never properly got over his carpal tunnel syndrome. He quit playing guitar in the end. He used to practice many, many hours a day but never did any proper warm up or stretches I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 8 2015, 05:14 PM
Sure.

Gmaj7 - 3X5477
Gm13 - 377333
Gadd9 - 357433

If/when you can do those move them down to the 1st fret.
If at the 3rd fret they're too much, move them up a few frets.

Am9 - 5XX413 (try it up two at the 7th fret if 5 is too tough)

C9sus4 - X35763 (barre at the 3rd fret)

*Get the Ted Greene book chord chemistry or the Alan Holdsworth book just for the curious. Lots of (almost) impossible chords in those.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 8 2015, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 8 2015, 05:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 8 2015, 06:14 PM) *
Sure.

Gmaj7 - 3X5477
Gm13 - 377333
Gadd9 - 357433

*Get the Ted Greene book chord chemistry or the Alan Holdsworth book just for the curious. Lots of (almost) impossible chords in those.

Thanks! smile.gif

My main problem is my middle and ring fingers. They don't really want to spread more than 1 fret around the lower frets or 2 frets around the 12th fret. It's something I don't really know what to do about.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 8 2015, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 8 2015, 08:31 AM) *
Thanks! smile.gif

My main problem is my middle and ring fingers. They don't really want to spread more than 1 fret around the lower frets or 2 frets around the 12th fret. It's something I don't really know what to do about.

Sometimes practice helps/adapts/changes your technique, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on your physiology.
You guys all play faster than me, I play bigger chords. Vive la difference!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 10 2015, 01:46 AM
Sorry to hear that sad.gif CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME is pure evil. But it can be avoided just by warming up with some stretches and cooling down with some stretches, and some frozen peas smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 8 2015, 12:14 PM) *
Sure.

Gmaj7 - 3X5477
Gm13 - 377333
Gadd9 - 357433

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:54 AM