14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Vonhotch Custom Picks
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2013, 04:32 AM
GMC:er
Our very own VONHOTCH is a Luthier!!! Who knew? He made me this custom guitar pick out of ALUMINUM and I"m just A FREAKING MAZED by it.

Here is a pic.

Spiff Bits
1.)Never Needs sharpening
2.)Holes to help grip
3.)Shape like a jazz III so it's familiar, nice and pointy. smile.gif
4.)(BEST OF ALL) It literall glides between strings.

I'll be using it for this weekends VIDEO CHATS as i haven't put it down since I got it. I'm a big fan of trying new picks and this one is really cool. I hope he makes more and I hope he makes one thats a tad bigger!! More to follow.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 7 2013, 01:44 PM
Instructor
Hey this looks lovely! How does it feel - isn't it twangy on the strings somehow?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 7 2013, 02:46 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 7 2013, 12:44 PM) *
Hey this looks lovely! How does it feel - isn't it twangy on the strings somehow?

I personally don't think they sound twangy at all. That is what you would think using a metal pick, but I think they actually have a very clear tone. Especially on lower strings. I tried a stainless steel pick a long time ago, and that had more of a metallic sound too it, and it really chewed up my strings. Aluminum is softer than the steel of the strings so it will not eat them up, and I think that's why it doesn't have as harsh a metallic tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2013, 08:57 PM
Zero Twang. With a bit of gain it sounds monstrous. Adds a bit of bite and metallic crunch (but not over the top like a couple of other metal/brass picks I've tried) that makes power chords sound HUGE and makes leads more articulate. So far it's darn amazing smile.gif

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 7 2013, 09:46 AM) *
I personally don't think they sound twangy at all. That is what you would think using a metal pick, but I think they actually have a very clear tone. Especially on lower strings. I tried a stainless steel pick a long time ago, and that had more of a metallic sound too it, and it really chewed up my strings. Aluminum is softer than the steel of the strings so it will not eat them up, and I think that's why it doesn't have as harsh a metallic tone.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 7 2013, 11:44 PM
Instructor
Wou!! I want to see it in action! Good job Vonhotch! You are very multifaceted!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 8 2013, 09:35 AM
Instructor
Alright V-man! I want one! What do I have to do? biggrin.gif I currently play with the Dunlop John Petrucci signature pics so I'd like something similar to those regarding the shape and dimension smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2013, 06:07 PM
That would be a good size smile.gif I'm wanting one that's about the size of a Vpick switchblade. These are really spiff. I'll be using it in this weekends chat if you want to hear one smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 8 2013, 04:35 AM) *
Alright V-man! I want one! What do I have to do? biggrin.gif I currently play with the Dunlop John Petrucci signature pics so I'd like something similar to those regarding the shape and dimension smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 8 2013, 06:43 PM
Amazing! biggrin.gif I want one too cool.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 8 2013, 08:12 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 7 2013, 10:44 PM) *
Wou!! I want to see it in action! Good job Vonhotch! You are very multifaceted!

Ha ha. We have a saying here. "Jack of all trades, master of none." Never had much money so if I wanted something cool had to learn to make or do it myself. I owe my father for that!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 8 2013, 08:35 AM) *

I am trying to get a site set up for online orders so I guess for the moment, I guess for now we will have to do it through PM. I will send you a PM in a few minutes!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jun 8 2013, 05:43 PM) *
Amazing! biggrin.gif I want one too cool.gif

I will send you a PM in a few minutes!!

Thanks guys. I am starting out asking $20 each. Here is some pics of some renderings of basic styles I am currently working with. I can pretty much make them into any dimensions you want but they are about 1/8" thick. I will be experimenting with thinner material shortly, but this is what Todd's and the ones in the pictures are. smile.gif And for now if anybody else is interested you can post here or send me a PM.

These are renderings actual grip holes may vary a bit these are partly for a 3d printing project I am also working on to be able to offer other materials a bit cheaper.

These are a couple I have made and are currently using.

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Jun 8 2013, 08:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jun 8 2013, 09:50 PM
They look sweet biggrin.gif and the one on the right in the second picture looks insanely killer biggrin.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 9 2013, 12:13 AM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jun 8 2013, 08:50 PM) *
They look sweet biggrin.gif and the one on the right in the second picture looks insanely killer biggrin.gif

Thanks. That pick is the one I am using most right now. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 9 2013, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Hey man! I got yer message biggrin.gif Thank you! Will reply asap!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 9 2013, 06:03 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Make way for the next Jim Dunlop! Those look like some killer picks man, great idea!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 9 2013, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 9 2013, 05:03 PM) *
Make way for the next Jim Dunlop! Those look like some killer picks man, great idea!

Thanks Rich, it was just something I thought I would try one morning and then tease Todd with it at video chat because I know how he likes custom picks. I am really pleased and surprised how much I like them myself, for just a spur of the moment idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jun 9 2013, 08:31 PM
Way cool! Both my guitar and engineering geek sides are intrigued, haha. Love the 3D renderings.

If you do decide to go properly commercial with it and would like a bit of a write-up (I'd love to talk geeky things like design choices for materials, ergonomics, aesthetics etc), I'd love to feature it on Six-String Samurai smile.gif

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 9 2013, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Jun 9 2013, 07:31 PM) *
Way cool! Both my guitar and engineering geek sides are intrigued, haha. Love the 3D renderings.

If you do decide to go properly commercial with it and would like a bit of a write-up (I'd love to talk geeky things like design choices for materials, ergonomics, aesthetics etc), I'd love to feature it on Six-String Samurai smile.gif

This is very cool. I am sorry that I had not checked out your website sooner. Looks great. I'm always interested in the that "geeky" stuff too. I will talk to you soon. smile.gif Thanks for you interest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2013, 10:55 PM
I"ve been using the Prototype that VON sent me and it's way spiff smile.gif I"ve used in in the last two video chat sessions so folks could hear it for themselvs. I"ll be using it next weekend to. Stop by if you guys want to hear one live smile.gif

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jun 9 2013, 05:15 PM) *
This is very cool. I am sorry that I had not checked out your website sooner. Looks great. I'm always interested in the that "geeky" stuff too. I will talk to you soon. smile.gif Thanks for you interest.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 10 2013, 08:49 AM
Instructor
Once mine arrives, I will give it to my band mates to try it out and if they like it too, maybe we will place more orders biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 10 2013, 08:58 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 10 2013, 09:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Todd are you finding it heats up and burns you when you play at speed? tongue.gif

Von They look really cool.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jun 10 2013, 01:42 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 10 2013, 07:49 AM) *
Once mine arrives, I will give it to my band mates to try it out and if they like it too, maybe we will place more orders biggrin.gif

Cool! I am excited to hear what you guys think. smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 10 2013, 08:24 AM) *
Todd are you finding it heats up and burns you when you play at speed? tongue.gif

Von They look really cool.

laugh.gif Thanks man.

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:10 PM