Im Fretting Over My Frets
matt r
Aug 9 2009, 06:46 PM
GMC:er
Hey, i just built a new guitar with nickel frets, i play nickel strings and unfortunately i seem to be wearing the frets down already..... i wore the frets down pretty badly on my strat after only four years of having it. i mean im not playing stainless steel strings or anything, so im pretty confident that it must be due to my bending and vibrato technique. occasionally after playing pretty hard i can actually see little silver flakes on the fretboard, i dont know maybe i have some sort of acidic alien hand sweat or something of that nature. Anyone have similar problems? solutions?

someone save my baby from flat frets :-X

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
fkalich
Aug 9 2009, 06:58 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (matt r @ Aug 9 2009, 12:46 PM) *
Hey, i just built a new guitar with nickel frets, i play nickel strings and unfortunately i seem to be wearing the frets down already..... i wore the frets down pretty badly on my strat after only four years of having it. i mean im not playing stainless steel strings or anything, so im pretty confident that it must be due to my bending and vibrato technique. occasionally after playing pretty hard i can actually see little silver flakes on the fretboard, i dont know maybe i have some sort of acidic alien hand sweat or something of that nature. Anyone have similar problems? solutions?

someone save my baby from flat frets :-X

You might be onto something. A lot of guys talk about strings going bad. Mine never go bad. I also do a lot of bending and vibrato and bending. No problem with frets, and I play a lot. Might be your chemistry. Parker has stainless steel frets. Maybe next time you go with those type of frets, if you refret.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 9 2009, 10:48 PM
Instructor
Stainless steel frets are good investment, yeah.
Btw, you said you built it on your own,
what material did you use for frets?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 10 2009, 12:21 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I don't know if "acid" from hands causes frets to wear but I heard it does a lot of damage to strings....I think its you playing style - bends, vibrato, hard fretting that causes wear. I think you should have gone with stainless steal for frets when you built the guitar - for longer life...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 10 2009, 09:37 AM
Instructor
Refreting is what you should do now. If you can do it yourself again it won't cost you much, only the frets. This time get the stainless steel ones.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 07:18 AM