Very Sick.. Any Doctors Around?
Smikey2006
Sep 11 2009, 08:20 PM
GMC:er
Im not sure if their are any doctors or nurses on GMC but its worth a shot. The past week ive been dry coughing from my throat to the point that ive barely been able to sleep. Im light headed my vision is fuzzy i can hardly walk to my kitchen. On top of this i have a fever which is on and off. sometimes ill be a reasonable temperature 2 minutes later ill be sweating buckets. I called a nursing hotline who said bedrest and fluids so i haven't left bed for the past 2 days. Then when i did leave bed i ended up passing out in my bathroom so i went to the hospital who also said i was fine. This cough is immune to cough syrups and neocitran so it would seem. The only way i was able to sleep was to actually put a cough drop in my mouth and sleep on my stomach. Anyone experienced anything similar to this? The most inconvient symptom is the light headidness and lack of energy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! If not ill just continue to lay in bed and drink water until it goes away.

cheers

Mike

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
JVM
Sep 11 2009, 08:21 PM
Learning Roadie
No tips, but get better soon man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 11 2009, 08:24 PM
I don't know who you saw at the hospital, but it does not sound like anyone gave you a diagnosis of what you have troubling you. Meaning you had better get one, see a doctor and get a name for whatever it is.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 11 2009, 08:30 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have no clue, sounds serious.
If I were you I'd get to the emergency and don't leave before you get help.

EDIT: Btw, passing out is always taken serious by doctors. You have to mention that, they have to give you a full checkup. If a doctor miss that it's fail on his/her side.

EDIT2: Coca cola is good, I got doctors orders to drink that when I had a stomach flu once. It appearantly contains a lot of things that works for your bony when you're ill.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Sep 11 2009, 08:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
I had something similar last winter. One Friday evening when I was sitting in the bus, I realized that I was extraordinairy exhausted. The next day, I barely got up from bed (it took about 30 minutes...). My lips were dry and I had no power to take the bottle which was next to me. Eventually, I focused all my energy and stood up (I saw that it was only 7 o'clock!). I went down to my mum who was still sleeping. When I wanted to get some medecine, I lost all my power and my head started hurting even more. I lay down on the couch and waited for my mother to get up... The rest of the day, I was on the couch. The next day as well.

So, my tip: stay in bed/couch and watch TV. smile.gif Drink some warm tea and wear really warm clothes. You have to sweat! Sleep a lot, too.

Get well soon!

This post has been edited by Tolek: Sep 11 2009, 08:33 PM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 11 2009, 08:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Go see another doctor man! This sounds very serious and don't let anyone tell you you are fine because your not. Cough, blur vision, fever. This isn't normal or fine. Demand an answer from them.

Hope you get better soon.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Duncan
Sep 11 2009, 09:43 PM
SWINE FLU

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 11 2009, 11:01 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Duncan @ Sep 11 2009, 04:43 PM) *
SWINE FLU

My first thought! Go SEE A DOCTOR Man, seriously!

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 12 2009, 12:44 AM
Go see a doctor again.

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 12 2009, 02:39 AM
Instructor
Doesn't have to be swine flu, or any flu, but if you almost passed out, you are either very exausted, and just cannot take anymore, or you got some form of illness that they missed to diagnose first time around. Either way, rest, don't work anything, eat veggies, non greasy stuff, non-spiced, non-sweet, in one word - neutral and non greasy food.
measure the body temperature and with that information go to see a doctor.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 12 2009, 02:39 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kahall
Sep 12 2009, 02:46 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Sep 11 2009, 02:38 PM) *
Go see another doctor man! This sounds very serious and don't let anyone tell you you are fine because your not. Cough, blur vision, fever. This isn't normal or fine. Demand an answer from them.

Hope you get better soon.

I don't think he can go see another doctor unless he has a small fortune. My understanding is that is the way it works in Canada. Let us know how you make out Smikey, you know, when you feel better.
Health care by phone?
Take care Smikey and get well soon. If it gets worse do whatever you have to, to get help.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 12 2009, 04:40 AM
Your symptoms sound like a flu variant or some other virus. There's no cure for that but most of them can be beaten by a healthy immune system. Some things of note:

1. no caffeine! What are you guys thinking???
2. water: yes, water with electrolytes: even better.
3. ivan's food advices are good, simple foods (a little salt is okay, chicken soup is great) and a little roughage for fiber
4. vitamin C
5. vitamin D
6. rest

edited for language
tonymiro on behalf of the moderating team

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Sep 12 2009, 11:41 AM

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Sep 12 2009, 10:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well not yet a doctor, but I am a medical student and sometimes working as a "nurse"..

Sounds like a virus to me, I've had something similar over the summer. I guess you have really swollen and sore lymph nodes?
The dizzyness can be caused by your fever -> dehydration; so drink plenty of water (orange juice is nice). Also the tiredness is normal due to your bodys immune system working its ass off - Get your vitamins and lots of protein to help it with its job.
What exactly did they do at the hospital? It would ofc require an examination to see if it's viral or bacterial.. Are you experiencing a sore, burning, red throat (If just red and sore it would suggest viral infection. If theres also coverings it could be bacterial. But you can't really look at this yourself)? Well if you are, drink some hot tea with honey to ease it and keep your neck warm.

But most importantly, if the symptoms gets worse or if you've been having the symptoms for over a week with no positive changes -> Go see a doctor.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, don't wear too much clothing in bed, just enough to keep you comfortable but still avoid getting cold! It's true that fever is a natural response to illness (the enzymes in your body works faster at slightly elevated temperatures), but it's really something you can do without since it's not that effective after all. My point being don't be too cold/warm, stay comfortable - The whole "sweat it out"-thing is more of a myth. So take some paracetamol for the aching body (they also reduce the fever a little).

This post has been edited by Skewlbuzz: Sep 12 2009, 10:42 AM

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 12 2009, 01:50 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The Doctors said i seemed fine because my throat did not suggest a viral infection and I had an EDF(or something, they put little black things on my arms and chest hooked up to some machine) and they said that looked fine as well. Ive called a nursing hotline who have told me to just keep drinking fluids and it seems to be working. my cough is getting better and i was actually able to go for a short walk around the block today. But my vision is still not normal, coughing is still an issue when i try and sleep and i still have this on and off fever which makes it hard to stay comfortable. But i do think im getting better. Im going to go to another clinic today to get another opinion. But thanks alot for hints.

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Tolek
Sep 12 2009, 02:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Aah, that´s good to hear! I´m glad that you´re getting better. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 12 2009, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Good news man, just keep resting. I often tried to do normal activities during the day as soon as I felt signs of getting better, but this is also the time when you have to be extra careful, cause my state tend to got even worse. Just keep it easy, and let it pass completely. The organism is still in the state of defense.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 12 2009, 03:07 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Sep 12 2009, 03:41 PM
Great to hear man! Lots of rest, hot fluids and keep some nutrition up! biggrin.gif

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 12 2009, 05:39 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 12 2009, 05:40 AM) *
1. no caffeine! What are you guys thinking???

If you're refering to Coca Cola I got that from a doctor whom's advice I'd trust over someone who's not.
Appearantly, when you're drying out from stomach flu, Coca Cola contains salts and minerals that are fundamental to the body so rather than draining your body from fluid and minerals in this case the good overshadows the bad.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 12 2009, 05:44 PM
Salts and electrolytes are available without caffeine. Caffeine is not the right idea when you're low on fluids. If you must have a carbonated beverage to settle the stomach, stir some of the carbonation out of a ginger ale.

Further: I was quoting an actual doctor that I now trust more than your coca cola representative. You know what they call the guy who scored LAST in his class at medical school? They call him "Doctor" as well.

You shouldn't drink caffeine when you're dehydrated and sick, especially if the only reason is "salts and electrolytes."

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 12 2009, 06:38 PM
biggrin.gif got it avoiding caffine. No coffee for me.. just orange juice, water and green tea! smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:43 AM