2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Anyone In London, Uk?
spacebran
Feb 15 2012, 11:11 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello,

I am a high school teacher in Toronto, Canada and am interested in teaching abroad for a year. There are plenty of agencies that provide work but I was at a conference recently and one in particular caught my eye. I've been going through an extensive application and interview process through Engage Education to attend something called an 'iday'. Engage selects a few candidates to send to London, UK with all accommodations covered for 5 days (flight, hotel, food) where you get to go to an event where you're interviewed all day by different schools.

I got selected!

I've never been to London and I actually have a friend who lives there. In fact, I've never been overseas. I'm going on March 11th. What do you suggest in the other days that I have free in London?

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited, though I won't have a guitar while I'm there. Bummer.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 16 2012, 01:22 AM
GMC:er
Go to Denmark Street!! A small street that is full of Guitar Shops! There's plenty of Museums (if that's your thing) and Galleries etc!
There'll also be plenty of bands in venues small to large, look online for 'Timeout' magazine HERE.
smile.gif smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 12:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 16 2012, 12:22 AM) *
Go to Denmark Street!! A small street that is full of Guitar Shops! There's plenty of Museums (if that's your thing) and Galleries etc!

And once you've walked up Denmark Street you're just round the corner from The Intrepid Fox (If I'm not mistaken, London Guys ?)

And you get to ride The Tube. Is it wrong for me to like going on the Tube ?? rolleyes.gif I'm sure the novelty would wear off if I had to do it everyday.. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Feb 16 2012, 12:40 PM

+Quote Post
waggers
Feb 16 2012, 05:12 PM
Go to Abbey Road and have your picture taken on the level crossing - I've done that rolleyes.gif

Also go to Camden - great market and freaky people

This post has been edited by waggers: Feb 16 2012, 05:14 PM

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 16 2012, 07:00 PM
Give me an idea of what you're interested in and I'll try to suggest something smile.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 16 2012, 07:11 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 16 2012, 11:39 AM) *
And once you've walked up Denmark Street you're just round the corner from The Intrepid Fox (If I'm not mistaken, London Guys ?)

And you get to ride The Tube. Is it wrong for me to like going on the Tube ?? rolleyes.gif I'm sure the novelty would wear off if I had to do it everyday.. wink.gif

When were you last in the Fox Ben? It's no longer the dingy, black Rock n Roll hole that it used to be!! It now has big plate glass windows and is painted white!!
ohmy.gif

PS. I met the Chilli Peppers in there once and they gave us AAA Passers for their show that night, but that's a story for another time!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 16 2012, 07:22 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 16 2012, 06:11 PM) *
When were you last in the Fox Ben? It's no longer the dingy, black Rock n Roll hole that it used to be!! It now has big plate glass windows and is painted white!!
ohmy.gif

PS. I met the Chilli Peppers in there once and they gave us AAA Passers for their show that night, but that's a story for another time!
biggrin.gif

Whaa?? When did this happen? Did they replace the muggy staff, too? laugh.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 16 2012, 07:31 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Feb 16 2012, 06:22 PM) *
Whaa?? When did this happen? Did they replace the muggy staff, too? laugh.gif

About a year back(?), I was in town to meet an American friend who was over here and I was walking to the Coach and Horses in Soho and walked right past it without realising. I was walking along thinking 'The Fox is around here somewhere, then I looked back and realised I'd walked straight past it and ignored it because it wasn't what I should have recognised!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 16 2012, 07:40 PM
Hah, alrighty smile.gif Although, I'm not in the clearest state of mind when I'm at that place biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 08:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 16 2012, 06:11 PM) *
ohmy.gif

Bogus !! I've never actually had a drink in there, I just popped in during the daytime to drop of a cd about 2 years ago...

Then there's The World's End pub near The Underworld venue.. had a pint of Coke in there once... very rock n roll.. dry.gif

+Quote Post
spacebran
Feb 21 2012, 04:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 16 2012, 07:07 PM) *
Bogus !! I've never actually had a drink in there, I just popped in during the daytime to drop of a cd about 2 years ago...

Then there's The World's End pub near The Underworld venue.. had a pint of Coke in there once... very rock n roll.. dry.gif

Thanks for all the replies!

And Darkdude, I'm looking for awesome pubs, guitar shops, markets, etc. My friend told me to go to Camdem so I'll definitely check that place out. Anyone know any pubs with live music?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 24 2012, 02:09 PM
QUOTE (spacebran @ Feb 21 2012, 03:15 PM) *
Thanks for all the replies!

And Darkdude, I'm looking for awesome pubs, guitar shops, markets, etc. My friend told me to go to Camdem so I'll definitely check that place out. Anyone know any pubs with live music?

If you get the Tube to Camden, as soon as you come out of the Station turn to the left and you have the Underworld Club right opposite you. Music most nights of the week. Turn right out of the Station and you are walking up Camden High Street towards the famous market. Halfway up on the other side of the road is the Jazz Cafe and a bit further up by Camden Lock is Dingwalls.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Do you have any dates yet?
We should try and have a GMC Meet and Greet!!!
Or at least a drink!! I'm sure Ben and DD would be up for that!
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Feb 24 2012, 02:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2012, 02:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 24 2012, 01:09 PM) *
Halfway up on the other side of the road is the Jazz Cafe

When I think of Jazz Cafes I see steps leading down to a smoky room just down under street level and loads of sharp dressed dudes sat at tables, eyes close, grinning and clicking their fingers and tapping their feet to the sounds ! laugh.gif

At least that's the way I want it to be ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 24 2012, 02:22 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 24 2012, 01:16 PM) *
When I think of Jazz Cafes I see steps leading down to a smoky room just down under street level and loads of sharp dressed dudes sat at tables, eyes close, grinning and clicking their fingers and tapping their feet to the sounds ! laugh.gif

At least that's the way I want it to be ! cool.gif

Ronnie Scott's for you then!! Except that it's UPstairs!!
tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2012, 02:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 24 2012, 01:22 PM) *
Ronnie Scott's for you then!! Except that it's UPstairs!!
tongue.gif

Sounds good.. we gotta make it happen. Damn, I need a white suit more than ever now ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 24 2012, 02:32 PM
QUOTE (spacebran @ Feb 21 2012, 03:15 PM) *

Sorry for the delayed reply!

For some live music, go to The Monarch pub in Camden on Sunday eve.: http://www.monarchbar.com/events/ A good covers band called Metalworks plays there, seen them many a time. Starts out pretty empty, but more people come. It's a fiver smile.gif

For alternative/rock clubs, on Mondays there's Anthem @ Punk, which is just off Tottenham Court Road:

"Getting there:
Punk is on Soho Street, which joins Oxford Street and Soho Square.
It's 2 minutes from Tottenham Court Road, and less than 10 minutes from Oxford Circus and Leicester Square.
Google maps: http://tinyurl.com/32gfxv6"

Every Thursday at Dingwalls (SJ mentioned it above), there's an event called UPRAWR, which I've heard is good.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
spacebran
Feb 27 2012, 11:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 24 2012, 01:09 PM) *
Do you have any dates yet?
We should try and have a GMC Meet and Greet!!!
Or at least a drink!! I'm sure Ben and DD would be up for that!
biggrin.gif

ha! I would be down for a drink. Do you all live in London?

Also, thanks again for the replies everyone! I'm going to write down everything that's been suggested and see what happens while I'm there.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 28 2012, 06:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
If you're gonna be in Camden in the evening, make sure you have on a good pair of running shoes. Your're gonna need them once some Ali G wannabe attempts to mug you wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Feb 28 2012, 06:05 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 28 2012, 07:39 PM
QUOTE (spacebran @ Feb 27 2012, 10:24 PM) *
ha! I would be down for a drink. Do you all live in London?

Also, thanks again for the replies everyone! I'm going to write down everything that's been suggested and see what happens while I'm there.

I'm about 35/40 miles outside, but not too far to meet for a drink!!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 29 2012, 07:54 PM
Instructor
This is very interesting idea man. First congratulations on your acceptance, I hope you will do great in London. I wish we in Serbia could have similar programs tongue.gif biggrin.gif Well, I hope I will go abroad soon, not much to do here.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:59 AM