Pentatonic Lydian ?
Ben Higgins
May 22 2014, 09:27 AM
Instructor
Hi all. In my latest lesson Vai-olation I explore the sounds of the Lydian mode, along with the Mixolydian. 2 staples of Vai's sound.

As well as looking at some of the more obvious diatonic runs using the E Lydian mode, I also use the Eb Minor Penatonic scale to get a different sound that, although it sounds a bit 'outside' is still very much picking out notes of the Lydian mode. How does it work ? Let's take a closer look.

Here's the E Lydian Mode: Note the Blue circles denoting the root of E.

Here's the Eb (or D#) Minor Pentatonic.

Now, if you took a chord progression which moves from E to F# and returns to E and let's say the bass is cycling a constant pedal tone of E. This 'Flying in a Blue Dream' type of vibe would give us the perfect bed for a Lydian sound.

Now, instead of blazing through your typical 3 note per string Lydian runs, take the Eb (D#) Pentatonic and try that. It sounds... well, different but it sounds kind of... well... Steve Vai, right ? It works. But how ?

Let's got back to the scale diagrams. Place your hands in position for the D# Pentatonic and slowly walk yourself through the intervals. Now, take another look at the diagram of E Lydian. But ignore the blue root notes and start again on the D# and trace the scale tones of D# Minor Pentatonic.

They're all there aren't they ? smile.gif What does that tell us ? All of those notes that make up the D# Minor Pentatonic are also found within E Lydian. It's just that the D# Minor Pentatonic is only touching upon some of those scale tones. Please read that bit again if you need to.

If we go back to the E Lydian mode properly for a moment, let's look at the intervals. The intervals that make the Lydian mode 'Lydian' is the presence of both the major 3rd and major 7th together. Now, by playing the D# Minor Pentatonic you will be touching upon both of those important intervals. That's why you get a Lydian sound but it still somehow sounds 'different' because the rest of the scale tones are not included.

And people still think pentatonics are boring !!! Ha !

I hope you enjoy the different possibilities that this provides. Maybe try this over a Lydian inspired backing track (I've given you a clue how to do that above !) and see for yourself. Why not share some recordings ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 22 2014, 03:08 PM
GMC:er
Cool!
Very 'jazz' way of approaching something you'd play Lydian over.
Emaj7#11 chord = minor penta one 1/2 step down.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 22 2014, 03:11 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 22 2014, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Ben, this is a very interesting approach and shows how powerful and rich can be pentatonic when used in uncommon ways. I will definitely try this over the backing of your lesson... and I was thinking... what about a collab based on this? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 22 2014, 06:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 22 2014, 04:36 PM) *
Hi Ben, this is a very interesting approach and shows how powerful and rich can be pentatonic when used in uncommon ways. I will definitely try this over the backing of your lesson... and I was thinking... what about a collab based on this? smile.gif

Yeah we can do that. Do you want to be the collab leader on it ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 23 2014, 08:38 AM
Instructor
Great ideas Ben! I was actually wondering what the next collab might be centered around smile.gif Let's see what everyone has to say about it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:23 PM