2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Down To The Waterline., Another Dire Straits cover.
Gilmore
May 2 2009, 10:53 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I just had to do another Dire Straits cover, since my last one was succesful, I hope you are not getting bored with this.

I think this is my favourite DS song, but the whole album is brilliant. I used the same method as in Sultans of Swing, but I mixed it a little bit different. I tried to do it simular to the original mix, rhytm guitar more to the right and the lead to the left. My weakest side is the drum mixing, but it takes a quite a lot of schooling to get that right.

This is from scratch, like Sultans. Everything played by me, but drums played by Mr. EZDrummer (Superior 2.0).

Hope you like. smile.gif

Attached File  Down_To_The_Waterline.mp3 ( 5.17MB ) Number of downloads: 244

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gilmore: May 3 2009, 01:42 AM

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 2 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
Can I do the vocals?? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S at 2:50 there is an F# chord, not F#m,
rest of it was really nice, specially tone and feel. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: May 2 2009, 11:13 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 2 2009, 11:29 PM
Instructor
Very nice one!
I love your tone, it's really close to Mark's.
I love Dire Straits, I would love to hear a version with Muris on vox! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
skennington
May 2 2009, 11:40 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Again, well played and well put together Gilmore, this one of my fav's by DS too. smile.gif I would love to hear Muris do the vox as well! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gilmore
May 3 2009, 01:47 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 3 2009, 12:09 AM) *
Can I do the vocals?? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S at 2:50 there is an F# chord, not F#m,
rest of it was really nice, specially tone and feel. smile.gif

I have uploaded another file, and I fixed this issue, I managed to cut in and play the right chord. Thanks for letting me know, unbelieveble how you can spot that out just like that. smile.gif

You are more than welcome to do vocals for this track and Sultans, you are a great singer!!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 3 2009, 01:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gilmore @ May 3 2009, 02:47 AM) *
I have uploaded another file, and I fixed this issue, I managed to cut in and play the right chord. Thanks for letting me know, unbelieveble how you can spot that out just like that. smile.gif

You are more than welcome to do vocals for this track and Sultans, you are a great singer!!

It's not so hard to believe since I've listened to this song like million times,
I know how its heart beats, kind of. laugh.gif

Gonna record vocals asap tho. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
sted
May 3 2009, 01:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great upload mate! Bored of listening to this? You must be kidding! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gilmore
May 4 2009, 09:13 AM
QUOTE (sted @ May 3 2009, 02:25 PM) *
Great upload mate! Bored of listening to this? You must be kidding! biggrin.gif

hahaha......thanks man. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 4 2009, 09:10 PM
Jazz Instructor
Great upload, keep them coming smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 5 2009, 02:05 PM
Instructor
Here's your version with vocals added, hope you'll like it. smile.gif

Attached File  Down_To_The_Waterline_w_Muris_Vocal.mp3 ( 5.2MB ) Number of downloads: 138

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Alex87
May 5 2009, 02:15 PM
I can't believe how close to Dire Straits this really is. The guitar is played so well. Now I listen to Muris sings he is doing it very much like Knopfler aswell!! Great job you guys smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender Lead I - 1979, Hamer Steven Stevens sign. (modified) - 1986, Cort western, Santana acoustic

Amps:
Laney Lionheart LH5, Roland Cube 20 (the original orange one)

Effects (on board):
Boss TU-2 Tuner, Homebrew CPR Compressor, EHX Small Stone, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo, Boss DD-2, Carl Martin DeLayla XL, TC Electronic SCF1 Chorus/Flanger/Pitch Mod.

Effects (spare):
Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss CE-2 Chrous, Boss CS-1 Compressor, Schaller Volume Control, Boss PH-2 Phaser, Boss RV-2 Reverb

+Quote Post
skennington
May 5 2009, 02:20 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
This sounds excellent! Guys, if I were to have heard this playing and not known it was a cover, I would think it was Mark himself! cool.gif Great job!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 5 2009, 07:09 PM
Instructor
Cheers, it sound very close to DS indeed,
I couldn't imitate Mark any better tho. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
JamesT
May 5 2009, 09:00 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 5 2009, 09:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker

Am I the only person who finds it funny that Muris.....the one of "extreme neoclassical" fame....has as his dream to be able to play like Knopfler!!! Not trying to say anything about Knopfler......I just think it is kind of funny... tongue.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: May 5 2009, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 5 2009, 10:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 5 2009, 10:08 PM) *
Am I the only person who finds it funny that Muris.....the one of "extreme neoclassical" fame....has as his dream to be able to play like Knopfler!!! Not trying to say anything about Knopfler......I just think it is kind of funny... tongue.gif laugh.gif

Mark has been one of my favorite guitarists and musicians in general
since I started playing, there's nothing funny about that. cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 5 2009, 10:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 5 2009, 10:28 PM) *
Mark has been one of my favorite guitarists and musicians in general
since I started playing, there's nothing funny about that. cool.gif

I know what you are saying Muris.....I guess when most people say "I wanna play like Muris"....they are talking from a technical standpoint....in general anyways. You are light years ahead of Knopfler in that respect.....you gotta recognize that. I wasn't meaning it as an insult. biggrin.gif I started playing guitar because I wanted to play like "the edge" from U2. When I could play the "sunday bloody sunday" solo I thought I had mastered guitar... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Oh to be ingorant.......

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 5 2009, 10:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 5 2009, 11:42 PM) *
I know what you are saying Muris.....I guess when most people say "I wanna play like Muris"....they are talking from a technical standpoint....in general anyways. You are light years ahead of Knopfler in that respect.....you gotta recognize that. I wasn't meaning it as an insult. biggrin.gif I started playing guitar because I wanted to play like "the edge" from U2. When I could play the "sunday bloody sunday" solo I thought I had mastered guitar... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Oh to be ingorant.......

Hmm, depends of what kind of technique we are talking about,
if it's AP then I might be ahead cause Mark lost his pick ages ago. laugh.gif
It's something else about Mark, his musicality, arranging, composing, feel of course etc. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 5 2009, 10:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 5 2009, 10:44 PM) *
Hmm, depends of what kind of technique we are talking about,
if it's AP then I might be ahead cause Mark lost his pick ages ago. laugh.gif
It's something else about Mark, his musicality, arranging, composing, feel of course etc. smile.gif

Definitely something besides technique. laugh.gif I realize there is way more to music than technique. I just find it amusing that you aspire to play like him......technically speaking anyways. I already told you that if all I knew about you was what I heard on your "Let it out" CD, that I would have no idea of the chops you had. Not that that is bad......just interesting. I love your CD.....you just held back and that was a conscious decision on your part. Either way Muris.....I know YOU ROCK!!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 5 2009, 10:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ May 5 2009, 11:49 PM) *
Definitely something besides technique. laugh.gif I realize there is way more to music than technique. I just find it amusing that you aspire to play like him......technically speaking anyways. I already told you that if all I knew about you was what I heard on your "Let it out" CD, that I would have no idea of the chops you had. Not that that is bad......just interesting. I love your CD.....you just held back and that was a conscious decision on your part. Either way Muris.....I know YOU ROCK!!!! biggrin.gif

Well spotted Monte tho it's pretty off topic, I mean my own songs. biggrin.gif
In short lines, all clips I do for Youtube, Guitar Contests etc
are pretty much technique involved cause people wanna see that, that's reality.
But even that I try to make a compromise and put some music in as well,
ok, well I failed with that in Dean Shred Contest,
we had 1 minute to shred, no one is perfect. laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:09 PM