How Young Is To Young?, Not what your Thinkin'
Rodnator
Dec 19 2007, 11:42 PM
GMC:er
Happy Holidays all, Just wondering what you all think.. I'm almost 43 have two great kids one is 11 and although he can't play a note, (on a real guitar) is a local legend and self proclaimed Guitar Hero master. My friends and I all watch him with jaws on the ground. He has in the past wanted to learn to play a real guitar but wasn't willing to put in the time, I mean none at all. My second son is 5 and is also a Guitar Hero freak, his hands are small he plays it with the xbox 360 controller, and holds his own pretty good, it is rather funny to watch. He really wants to play a real guitar. He plays air guitar all of the time. I think Santa is going to leave a small 3/4 scale student acoustic guitar under the tree. Do you think I should just let nature take it's course and see where things go? or, am I nuts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars : Gibson Les Paul Standard "Raw Power", Fender American Deluxe HSS QMT Stratocaster
Acoustic Guitars : Ovation 1771 LX Balladeer
Effects : Digitech Jammer Looper, Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory, Boss DD-3 delay, Keeley Modded Boss DS-1, Keeley Modded TS-808 Tube Screamer, Keeley compressor, Dunlop CryBaby Wah.
Amps : 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 50 watt Head (all original unmodified Electronics, Complete cosmetic restoration) It is the "Tone of the Gods" 1982 Marshall 1960a JCM 800 4x12 Slant Cabinet
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
David.C.Bond
Dec 20 2007, 12:02 AM
I certainly don't think its nuts, I started playing when I was 9, and 13 years later I still love it.
A friend of mine started playing when he was 4, and had his grade 8 distinction by the age of 10, so its not at all uncommon for kids to start playing really young.
If they're taking an interest at an early age then do everything you can to help them nurture that interest!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 20 2007, 12:03 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
If they want to start out early, do what David said, nurture this! You never know, they could be future Steve Vai's!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 20 2007, 12:15 AM
I always wish i had started younger.. get him the starter guitar and see how much he enjoys it smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 20 2007, 12:26 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Rodnator @ Dec 19 2007, 11:42 PM) *
Happy Holidays all, Just wondering what you all think.. I'm almost 43 have two great kids one is 11 and although he can't play a note, (on a real guitar) is a local legend and self proclaimed Guitar Hero master. My friends and I all watch him with jaws on the ground. He has in the past wanted to learn to play a real guitar but wasn't willing to put in the time, I mean none at all. My second son is 5 and is also a Guitar Hero freak, his hands are small he plays it with the xbox 360 controller, and holds his own pretty good, it is rather funny to watch. He really wants to play a real guitar. He plays air guitar all of the time. I think Santa is going to leave a small 3/4 scale student acoustic guitar under the tree. Do you think I should just let nature take it's course and see where things go? or, am I nuts?

I think you're .. I mean Santa... is just right to give him a guitar. It's so much fun smile.gif

+Quote Post
Axel F
Dec 20 2007, 12:33 AM
you can't go wrong! A buddy of mine just bought a mini guitar for his 8 yr old for xmas. I don't think you can ever be too young!

+Quote Post
jaxon
Dec 20 2007, 12:46 AM
Get him the guitar and see what happens. I got my first guitar at 7 . I didnt really play it that much (smoke on the water and iron man lol)but it put the thought in my head that it's there if I wanted it. I started playing more at 12 though without being pushed. When I was in the 6th I saw a kid in 2nd grade playing decent solos at a talent show and that got me motivated.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 20 2007, 12:54 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
My wife and I gave our daughter an electric for her 6th - she'll be 8 in late Jan 2008. She hasn't played it much but nonetheless loves it and I'm convinced she'll play it more as she grows older. I can't see any harm in your youngest having a guitar - at least it's there if he wants it and it'll keep him off yours wink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
jaxon
Dec 20 2007, 12:57 AM
BTW . I have a 2 1/2 year .I was actually looking at a mini for him earlier today. He seems to be pretty interested when I play and when I watch the videos on this site. Due to the fact that he doesnt converse well yet, I'm going to put it off until next year. ok I'm done now. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 20 2007, 01:02 AM
Yeah, encourage him to play!!! wink.gif I agree with everyone.

I wish I would have started younger... I'm 13 now... started 11. Would have been nice to have started around his age, I'de be so much better.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 20 2007, 01:22 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Yea totally agree with everyone else here, should be encouraged for sure smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 20 2007, 01:36 AM
Instructor
Hey man, I think your kid will always remember such a nice gift. GO ahead and do it. It is priceless from my stand point of view. Also, giving an instrument to younger children can only HELP them in developing their musical skills faster. So, I suggest you buy your kid a guitar man smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Dec 20 2007, 01:44 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 19 2007, 06:22 PM) *
Yea totally agree with everyone else here, should be encouraged for sure smile.gif

I have to My 10yo daughter can hit a few notes on the guitar.

This is not her but check this player out
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hqrmSK8QwBA&feature=related

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Dec 20 2007, 01:47 AM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Dec 20 2007, 01:06 PM
Yea go guitars. Its better than toys and mcdonalds anyhow.

I, as everyone else, wish I had started younger. Ive had my guitar since I was like 13 but still havent started playing for real yet. sort of sad really but Im working on it.

Damn the military and school and all other time consuming must-do's.

At the worst you'll just have a mini-guitar lying around. And come on, they are so freaking cool!

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Dec 20 2007, 01:11 PM
I will just add if it is acoustic, better be nylon! Steel Hurty fingers sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 20 2007, 01:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Dec 20 2007, 01:11 PM) *
I will just add if it is acoustic, better be nylon! Steel Hurty fingers sad.gif sad.gif

I strongly agree with you smile.gif

It can be discouraging if a child hurts fingertips on steel strings sad.gif

And it's never too early, the only important thing is that the size of the guitar match the child wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 20 2007, 07:05 PM
QUOTE (jaxon @ Dec 19 2007, 11:57 PM) *
I was actually looking at a mini for him earlier today.

Haha I thought you meant a Mini (car) at first, now THAT would maybe be a little premature! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Iluha
Dec 20 2007, 07:17 PM
If 3 year olds, and even 2 year old children can learn a language, than it makes sense young kids can learn how to play the guitar, after all, music is a language smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:35 PM